Author Topic: the sowing thread  (Read 16473 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: the sowing thread
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2005, 12:31:32 »
Inside. On the window sill, until I gave up on them, when they were moved to the floor, as i needed more room (as usual!)
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2005, 16:46:02 »
Ah, mine have been in the mini-greenhouse, so perhaps they are just being slow  :-\ Well it was hot enough in there for the sweetcorn to germinate  ::)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2005, 17:29:03 »
Indoor seeds now sown with the addition of some annual rudbekia (chim chiminee), and dahlias (coccinea sp mixed).

The last are to replace some older tubers that (at the time) I beleived to have died. I have since discovered otherwise!!  ::).
Never mind. I like dahlias and the seed ones are of a different type to the older ones.

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2005, 09:49:37 »
Moggle - I noticed last night that some of my asparagus has finally germinated! It's about three or four weeks since I sowed it. I'd given up on them and left them on the floor for a week or so and haven't watered them!

Hurrah, I have finally got an asparagus seedling!! Only one out of 12 yet though  :-\ Oh well one is good  :D

I have quite a few brassica seedlings up now, and have sowed yet more toms - am supplying my mother-in-law and other family with some plants.

One of my aussie pumpkins finally emerged too, after about 2 weeks!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2005, 11:02:34 »

sowed spinach, three types of dwarf french bean, coriander, chives, parsley, parsnips, scorzonera, lamb's lettuce.

indoors: little gem and pentared lettuce in modules.

took all my brassica seedlings, celery and celeriac, and most of my tomatoes and moved them to the balcony for the day. 'forgot' to bring them inside in the night and they looked fine this morning. will leave them there for the next few days unless it gets very cold. nighttime temp last night was 9 degrees.

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2005, 13:29:26 »
I forgot to say: sowed sweetcorn and melons last wednesday (in propogator on windowsill).

One sweetcorn was peeking through yesterday.

The radishes and rocket I'd sown on my potato bed have germinated.

Still waiting for the carrots, parsnip and pickling onions in the root veg.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2005, 13:34:47 »
btw, how long do squashes, cucumbers and courgette seeds take to germinate? was thinking about putting them into pots indoors this week.

svea

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2005, 13:37:13 »
Svea - I'll check my diary when I get home tonight. Think it's about a week or so...

(I sowed mine way too early - about a month ago!)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2005, 18:50:32 »
Last weeks sowings of morning glory, tomatoes rocket and radish (strange mix i know) are now starting to com e through. No sign of anything else yet. :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2005, 09:52:23 »
Oh ****. Sorry Svea, I forgot to look. I did read somewhere you're supposed to sow them 4-6 weeks before the last frost. So now is about the right time.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2005, 11:29:02 »
on that note:

sowed indoors:
pumpkin baby bear
squash vegetable spaghetti
squash butternut
courgette all green bush
courgette black beauty (got those seeds from my mum)
cucumber burpless tasty green

one plant of each. will see how it goes and then do a second sowing of the cucumber and courgettes in a few weeks, to stagger the harvest.

unfortunately my plot is small so one each of each variety of pumpkin/squash only :(

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2005, 12:43:39 »
On 24th and 25th April sowed:

2 more yellow peppers - 3rd sowing, none of the others have germinated  :(
Craigella toms
Gardeners delight toms - second sowing of these, just a couple of backup plants
Connovers Colossal asparagus - many thanks derbex for the swap :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2005, 12:49:35 »
Today I sowed on the plot, mixed lettuce, radish, mini beetroots and turnips and I planted huckleberries and curly parsley.

Friday will be the turn of the kohl rabi, red cabbage, romonescue broc/cauli (you know, that fancy one that I can't spell) and spring onions.  Plus, if I have time, I shall sow what I can where there is space.  ;D

In the greenhouse today I will be sowing the last of my sweetcorns, runner beans, cobra beans, various french beans.  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2005, 10:01:33 »
My asparagus has gone mouldy (or something) anyway it's not looking happy.

I sorted through my seed box yesterday and divided into things and need to sow and things I've sown already. They split fairly exactly in half. I have so much to sow still!

Thank goodness we're going shopping with MIL this weekend, so I can get more compost. (and then build some shelving brackets to double my windowsill space!)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:07 »
my lettuce seedlings are starting to come up. not all yet, but about half. that was quick! :)

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2005, 11:05:00 »
My asparagus has gone mouldy (or something) anyway it's not looking happy.

Oh dear Aqui, that's bad :-\. More of mine have finally come up  :) One even came up in a tray of celeriac! I have 5 or 6 weedy little seedlings now  :D

Finally one of my chillies came up too - now just waiting for the yellow peppers  >:(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2005, 12:10:25 »
My second batch of tomatoes have been a disapointment. I sowed about a dozen from a fresh packet around 10 days ago. Only 3 have come up and it doesnt look as if the others are coming up any time soon.

They are of my favorite variety Gardeners Delight, sown to replace some of the first sowing that got either damaged or eaten :(.

I could tell a similar story with some basil and nicotiana i put in at the same time.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2005, 19:18:23 »
Today on the plot I sowed 2 rows of beetroots and I planted spring onions, leeks and kohl rabi. Dwarf french beans - purple queen, were also planted out but protected under a cloche. Still have lots to plant but run out of time so quickly!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2005, 10:15:11 »
Got the runner beans in a couple of days ago, along with some sunflowers. ;D

On the 'already sown, waiting to come up front' progress has been slow. Beetroot starting to appear, ditto some half hardy annuals in the conservatory.

Oh and FINALY my early spuds (planted nearly a month ago) are starting to come up too. ;D  :o ::)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2005, 23:32:07 »
today some moster plants appeared in the middle of their earth volcanoes - erm, i mean, my cucumbers, courgettes and squashes all came up today and have already grown about a inch while i wasn't looking :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal