Author Topic: the sowing thread  (Read 16540 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: the sowing thread
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2005, 15:09:24 »
Richard - 30 runners? OMG - you're going to turn into a bean!

(Sorry - just wanted to have post number 100!)
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2005, 16:19:02 »
Have my 3rd tray of kohl rabi through - slugs scoffed the last lot once it was planted out!

Have planted the last of my peas just to fill in the gaps where the mice helped themselves.

Also sown another selection of beans - have so many different ones to try like yard long, soldier, borlotti, cobra and many more.  Already have half my poles at the plot planted with beans.

More sunflowers planted as the stems on half of mine split.  Erractic watering I fear.

Pricked out more early purple sprouting.

Have acacia and banksia all germinated...now what on earth do I do with them!!!!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2005, 16:37:58 »
kohlrabi in trays? hmm, interesting. :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2005, 10:38:48 »
Richard - 30 runners? OMG - you're going to turn into a bean!

(Sorry - just wanted to have post number 100!)

Thats OK aqui. BTW its nearly 35 now!!

There are 3 of us here - we all love our runner beans and try to grow as many as we can. Mind you when cropping is in full flow we dont have beans with something we have something with beans!! Have now gotten into the habit of freezing some for the winter. Not quite the same taste but still a little taste of summer in the dark days.

I grow these beans in a 3m x 1m bed, however if you think I grow a lot you should see the allotments near me in the summer!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2005, 13:07:19 »
Today on the allotment I planted early pruple sprouting broc, florence fennel, 15 toms (under a double thick cloche I hasten to add!), and 3 sunflowers.  I sowed 2 varieties of swede (never had any luck with these so this is their last chance), radish (bunny tail!  cute name!!), beetroot and spring onion.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2005, 14:04:46 »
Sowed some St Victor leeks last night  :D These had caught my eye at Royton, when I was there for the potato day earlier this year. They have a purple/red tinge to the edge of the leaves :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2005, 10:10:28 »
Well if you're doing it EJ - I'll give some florence fennel a try this weekend. Going to sow them direct this year and protect from slugs, as well as some in modules (if I can find any spare ones!)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:23 »
Can't plant or sow owt up here in N Derbys.  Really very cold last night - it felt decidedly wintery as I walked home fuelled with red wine  ;D  Today is warmer but the winds are drying everything up.

I have a note on my calendar which reminds us to sow parsnips today for those of us who haven't already  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2005, 20:18:27 »
ooo-thanks-you reminded me-parsnips! ;)
right-i bought some cauli plants at the plant sale today-anything special in the way of planting?i've heardthey are really difficult :(
anyone help?
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2005, 10:22:49 »
Funny this - my first sowing of carrots (mid April) germinated after two weeks. But second sowing (beginning May) seems to have failed. It's definitely got colder!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2005, 10:47:15 »
Yesterday I sowed some borlotti beans and purple beans(thanks doris pinks  :-*) and some yellow beans. Also sowed some tundra cabbages and some cauliflowers.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2005, 11:40:55 »
Can't believe I forgot to say all I sowed...

About 10 different types of squash and pumpkin (thanks to Phil Cooper and Ruud) and about 15 different drying beans (thanks Ruud!) I only sowed one seed of each and even if they all germinate I still might have trouble squashing them in, but I'll find a way!

Also potted on the sweetcorn. Now have about 14 plants. Nearly enough!

And my tomatoes seem to be growing at last. But I won't hold my breath!

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2005, 13:32:38 »
not sowed anything this weekend, but planted out my celery, celeriac, brussels, cabbages, and calabrese. finally i am growing something besides brown earth.
btw, the celery and celeriac took almost two months from sowing to planting out stage - must make note of that. i was getting a bit impatient with them, i admit.

need to sow some kohlrabi though, urgently. hopefully today after work.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2005, 17:57:35 »
Today on the plot I sowed some more carrots under fleece and some more radish under fleece.  Did notice that finally things are germinating at I have a lovely row of mixed lettuce through, beetroots, spring onions and radish.  Still nothing on the parsnips, and I haven't lifted the fleece to look at the carrots, but I am hoping this rain will have helped make up their minds.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2005, 22:11:59 »
Great excitement for me as I picked my first radishes from under their cosy warm fleecy box.  First thing which struck me is how much foliage there was.  Do you think that was down to them being fleeced and will there be more tops than radish?  Anyway couldn't wait and picked some titchy ones.  My OH thought they were delish.  I don't go mad on them meself.  One of my lotty neighbours gave us some French Breakfast to eat which were massive compared to my pea sized ones.  Oh well size isn't everything  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2005, 22:20:44 »
s'what you do with 'em that counts-i know we are supposed to steer clear of salt but i dont think you can beat fresghly pulled radishes dipped in salt with brown bread and butter.....yum! :D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2005, 09:52:31 »
I think I need to thin my radishes - they are way too crowded. (the seed was quite old, so I sowed them quite thickly expecting not many to germinate, but they did!)

The squashes and beans I sowed at the weekend are already coming up. The heated prop really helps!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2005, 23:09:03 »
Dont know about anyone else but my outdoor sowings are SO SLOW! To germinate and grow that is.

Rocket and radishes are up and groing - but not much. Beetroot has been disapointing so far (I have to look verrry cloely to see what HAS germinated) and the corn salad virtualy non existent! (hardly managed a single seedling in two sowings - the first undercover).

Weeds are geminating and growing OK though  ::)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2005, 07:57:22 »
late yesterday (17.05) sowed
dill
kohlrabi and rocket
and the last chance for spinach. two previous sowings have completely failed. not a single seedling to be seen! so, if this one doesnt come up, i give up on the spinach for this year and will be growing something else in its place!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2005, 08:42:20 »
My plotty mate was moaning about his directly sown stuff and what slow progress it was all making.  We sowed his stuff on a lovely day and then we've had horrid winds and frosts since so it's not surprising.  He'd recorded that last year his spinach was well up but this year's was hardly showing at all.  I expect things will germinate if we have a bit on sunshine and warmth soon. 

Ever the optimist  :)

Wardy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal