Author Topic: Lemon Tree and fruiting  (Read 1496 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Lemon Tree and fruiting
« on: April 10, 2011, 13:42:42 »
I have just had my tree put outdoors (can cover with fleece if we should get another frost here in the southwest) and would like to know if I am doing anything wrong. I feed once a week with citrus feed from now on and otherwise water as necessary. Last year it was covered in flowers and lots seemed to form incipient fruit which later fell off. I ended up with just one fruit staying on the tree all winter which hasn't grown at all.

The tree spent the winter in my hall, ocasionally dropped a couple of leaves and looks healthy enough. The tree was repotted this time last year.

[attachment=1]

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Lemon Tree and fruiting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 18:45:22 »
It don't sound like you are actually doing anything wrong..but..tree will need feeding during winter period too otherwise it doesn't have energy to grow and ripen the fruit. If you go to garden centres you will see that they sell summer and winter feed for citrus.
While tree is trying to form the fruit and put growth on as well it will need quite a lot regular watering..so don't worry about keeping the roots on moist side rather than letting it totally dry out between waterings.
I found that giving well diluted feed in every watering works better than the once a week regime that is generally recommended..and drop of liquid seaweed added with the feed.. ;)...seaweed will enhance the effect and uptake of the nutrients from the feed... ;)
If you have fruit on tree during winter you may need to keep the tree in warmer condition that it would require without the fruit. Too low temperature will put the tree in 'hibernation' mode rather than carrying on developing the fruit.
Hope this is any help for you..

tai haku

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 21:35:04 »
I'd be tempted to take last year's fruit off if you haven't already; that may trigger a flush of flowers. Otherwise, I agree with goodlife, keep doing what your doing for summer.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 22:11:23 »
Starve it, they thrive on neglect.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 23:52:25 »
Hmmm............ some conflicting advice there! I think I'll just carry on feeding each week throughout the summer and hope for the best. Thanks anyway.

Tricia

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:49:30 »
Starve it, they thrive on neglect.

Mine - lemon Four Seasons - definitely doesn't thrive on neglect. I have previously done an accidental trial (!) and regular citrus feed is essential imo!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 00:22:50 »
That's a point - what kind is yours?

I suppose you could grow any of them in Devon, though I'd still be worried about a winter like the last one.

You might want to put a lot of water as a heat sink inside the cover - it's vastly more efficient at keeping frost out.

I only risk Meyer's Lemon outside in London - it's the hardiest (mandarin cross), but the last two winters have really hammered it to the ground. I'm not yet sure it will survive - but a clementine/mandarin in the same position escaped almost scot-free. The clem suffered about 25% damage in 2009/10 but the 3x2L water bottles I put in for December 2010 meant it survived the much worse 2010/11 without any problem.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal