Author Topic: Wilko's prices  (Read 3045 times)

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Wilko's prices
« on: January 19, 2005, 16:35:57 »
Today I bought 550 grms of Sturon onion sets (150 sets) for 99p, I also bought Golden Gourmet shallots (30 sets) for 99p. Amazing prices! spuds are selling at 1.95 a bag (didn't see the weight ) I think I'll be going there again tomorrow ;)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: Wilko's prices
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:50:51 »
I know where I'll be on Saturday morning.

The queues drive me mad (I wish they'd employ people who can actually work the tills) but it might be worth it at those prices.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:57:40 »
 :'( There isn't a wilko near me  :'( And i don't have a car  :'(

But considering those prices, I'd end up buying even more way too much (I already have way too many seeds for my space!)

:turns firmly to face self, Aqui, remember what you said, no more seeds:  >:(
gone to pot :D

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 12:14:42 »
Aqui,

If you wanted me to do a postal service I would be happy to...

Piglit
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 12:18:25 »
I picked up 5 seed tray inserts for £1.49 and I saw they had some radish seed for 39p or something ridiculous like that.

I wonder if they do the mini-greenhouses too?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 12:39:29 »
Moggle,

I have never seen mini greenhouses there - I visited regularly last year and am now on 2x weekly duty till I get some asparagus crowns for 1.69! The best place I found for greenhouses was the big ASDA Walmart which had them for about £10.  A bit early for them to get gardening stuff though I think. 

Best go - lunchtime trip to wilko - hooray!

piglit
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 13:02:49 »
Piglit - thanks, but nonono. DOn't tempt me. My list of veg seeds that I have fills two both sides of a sheet of A4 paper and my veg patch is currently about 4m x 50cm. We have a lot of digging to do when the ground dries out a bit!

piglit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 14:12:52 »
Well done Aqui - very strong. 

But the offer is there for you (or anyone wilkoless).  While the seeds are good value, the plants are even better.  I posted elsewhere but they have figs, olives, grapevines and kiwis for £4, goosberries for £2, elephant garlic £2.50, rhubarb victoria £1.70, artichokes 3 for £1.80ish, and asparagus when it comes in for just £1.70, the lady in the shop thinks for 3 crowns.  Incredible value and at the moment as they have just come into the shops they are all in tip top condition... they do get a bit ropey towards the end of the season after having sat in the shop for a while. 

Anyway, if anyone wants a piglit-postal service let me know!

piglit

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 14:15:59 »
I picked up 5 seed tray inserts for £1.49 and I saw they had some radish seed for 39p or something ridiculous like that.

I wonder if they do the mini-greenhouses too?

The one near us (Kingston) does those flexible plastic and metal framed 'greenhouses' that are about the same dimensions as a growbag and four to five feet tall, and similar flexible plastic and metal framed 'cold frames' - I bought two last year and they are fine, considering the low price. Haven't seen any of the 'walk-in' greenhouses there though - but I'm hoping. Can't justify £50 for one in the garden centres, but if Wilko's do them cheaper I shall be there like a shot.

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 14:40:24 »
Wow, £10 for a mini greenhouse sounds good! But as you say, unlikely to have them this early, I want mine next week, on payday.

Think I might have found one for £20 at Robert Dyas. SpeedyM, those dimensions sound right, I want one of the 3 or 4 tier ones. I will check Wilkos again before buying I think. Are the shelves fixed, or can they come out in the summer so I can grow my toms in there?  :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 14:51:51 »
Moggle - I've got two little ones, both have removable shelves. I'm going to use them for peppers and aubergines, so I hope they will actually grow that big this year!

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 22:56:18 »
i've always been amazed at wilko's prices, to the detriment of my purse i have 3 wilko's within a reasonable distace! 1 of which is huuuuge!
i hate to admit it, making myself sound scrooge-like, but i often wait until seeds are on half price at end of season to buy for next year, or buy as an 'extra'. their sow buy dates are usually 2 years away.
so i have had californian poppies for 20p, peas for 60p, that kind of thing.
their fresh stuff does tend to suffer a bit after a while though, don't suppose the assistants look after them too much!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 20:04:54 »
Went to Wilkos yesterday and bought

Elephant garlic ( 7 bulbs £2.49 ),

raspberry( Rubus Idaeus ) - £1.99

blueberry ( Vaccinium corymbosum ) - £3.99

shallots ('red sun') - 99p for 500g

3 for 2 seeds:-

lettuce lollo rossa 79p

celery d'Elne £1.49

and cauliflower Autumn Giant - free.

They were only just setting up the garden supplies so didn't have

potatoes or artichoke crowns.

I shall return...

Debs :D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 20:07:06 »
Today I noticed they had bags of vermiculite and perlite for £1.49, think it was either 3 or 5 litres.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 20:30:04 »
I bought a brand new 320Ltr compost bin of our council for £15 I thought it sounded a reasonable price. 8) ;D

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 12:46:41 »
After reading all your 'big ups for wilkos' messages, thought I'd mosy on down there and take a look...and...shock horror...they are shut for a week for refurbishment!

How inconsiderate of them is that.

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 15:31:34 »
And I went down to mine this morning to get more seed potatoes and they wre SOLD OUT!!  They only got them in at the start of the week and they'd all gone by Thursday.... >:(
Plottie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal