Author Topic: Anyone else had their peaceful gardening bliss ruined ?  (Read 6204 times)

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
Anyone else had their peaceful gardening bliss ruined ?
« on: April 07, 2011, 23:30:24 »
Just walking back from the plot and an enormous Military plane flew really low straight over my allotment.
Happens all the time up here but this one was pretty low.
Managed to get the camera out in time and did a vid below.
Total pain they are !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTtTynW75oA

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Anyone else had their peaceful gardening bliss ruined ?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 23:33:41 »
Low level flying practice....they need it!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 23:35:36 »
Poor sheep!! >:(

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 00:04:56 »
We often get the Hercules aircraft overhead as they practise their take-off and landing on Salisbury Plain.  In the past some have been so low that they just seem to skim over the roof of our house.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 00:13:24 »
We have them coming over every day and a few times a day at the moment because of the current situation in Libya we also get F16 fighters (in pairs) and gun ships but these are not every day but when they do appear its a few times that day.

Unlike airlines military planes dont seem to have the same flying curfews. But Harriets well used to it so they dont wake her up thankfully :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:04 »
Things are quiet here at the moment but I can totally sympathise.  When they were bombing Kosovo they used to take off about 10 - 11 pm and then come back from about 3  -4 am night after night.  So did not have a full nights sleep for months and months.   It was very difficult holding down a job when you feel tired all the time.  Worse than that they used to rev up the engines ages before they took off.  I still wake between 3 and 4 years and years later.

I have found in the past that ringing the local military air traffic control and logging a complaint had a good effect if they came directly overhead.  Even better if you can pursuade several people to complain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:14 »
Worse if anything, I remember being halfway up a climb in Scotland when a couple of planes suddenly shot by just below me. Guaranteed to make you wobble!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:27 »
I love the sound of them - it's exciting, but they don't fly particularly low over here or that often - small, noisy private planes are far more irritating. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:49:02 »
It's the price we pay for being able to kill lots of people in order to prove that we are morally superior.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 07:54:06 »
Mostly we have rig helicopters flying overhead but on 1 occasion last year I watched 2 tornadoes playing in the sky on full reheat ... I was spellbound, what a sight to behold. Must put the fear of god into whoever they are flying towards in anger !!!!
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:22 »
Try walking in the Yorkshire Dales or Peak District ???

And the amount of fuel they use?
Still no matter because we make up for it by having low energy  light bulbs ;)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:55:40 »
We get up to 7 helicopters flying in formation around us from the European School of Navigation in Shawbury. So low at times you can see the pilots moustaches quivering!
Like Robert I have stood on a mountainside and watch a plane fly below us. In my case though it was a Vulcan bomber. They flew down that valley so often that the grazing sheep did not even look up.
Gardening is the great leveller.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43:22 »
pfff, our site is next to a large sort of common, wood, and there are a**holes that ride quadbikes around that all the time, or trail bikes, they are a right pain in the neck. You just pray for them to hit a pothole  ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:12 »
We get occasional air force planes going over very low and we're just at the right distance from their base to get the occasional wallop in the ears as they break the sound barrier.   It hapened a lot during the Yugoslavia wars but much less now.

The worst problem is micro-lights.   They have really noisy engines and tend to fly over us at weekends when we want peace in the garden.  We're not allowed to use lawnmowers and other noisy tools outside on Sundays so I fail to see why these idiots can buzz about with impunity.

Hot air balloons are a different problem.  Our dog can hear their burners long before we see them coming and she has to bark a lot just in case they land in our garden.   Not that they could but she doesn't know that.  Fortunately we have no immediate neighbours so we can be noisy or quiet as we see fit and our dog's barking disturbs no-one but us.
Obxx - Vendée France

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 17:17:49 »
It's the price we pay for being able to kill lots of people in order to prove that we are morally superior.

Ich stimme. Sie sollten gestoppt haben diese Flugzeuge vor langer Zeit. Dann sind sie gezwungen werden, wachsen kopfkohl für unsere sauerkraut.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 18:00:17 »
I think Mel is saying something German - not sure if it's some kind of latent guilt over the treaty of Versaille or respect for the fact that their economy is doing so much better than ours at the moment. Hey ho - military might makes you right!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 18:22:16 »
At the rate we going  you won't have to be concerned about anything military in this Country because it will all be gone in the next twelve month, but put your fate is  in the hands of the French and NATO and good look to you, ;) 
                I'm just so happy that the Kraut economy is doing so well,

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 18:33:27 »
... the treaty of Versaille or ...

It's Versailles

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 19:15:41 »
... the treaty of Versaille or ...
Mmmmm ...... But fewer and less serious errors than in your German. Did you use Google translate? Yes it's just about that bad!!

I wasn't going to comment but why give Ollie a hard time for a typo.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 19:24:49 »
local heliport ( offshore supply), effing yanks on their way from Lakenheath & Mildenhall to bomb / shoot the f*ck out of somewhere foreign with oil, and the flights in and out of Norwich International airport, apart from that, not much to disturb the peace
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal