Author Topic: Anyone else had their peaceful gardening bliss ruined ?  (Read 6203 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Anyone else had their peaceful gardening bliss ruined ?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 19:33:13 »
At the rate we going  you won't have to be concerned about anything military in this Country because it will all be gone in the next twelve month, but put your fate is  in the hands of the French and NATO and good look to you, ;) 
                I'm just so happy that the Kraut economy is doing so well,

Well if we stopped sticking our noses in other people's business it wouldn't be so bad, would it - I'd like a smaller military but I also believe that we're overstretched and the men & women in the one we have should be looked after better than the way they are at the moment.
I know we disagree on many things Smiffy - but I actually do have a lot of respect for the people in the front line of our armed forces - I just don't think they should have been sent to the places they've been sent lately. It's not their fault and I think it's terrible that after what we expect people to do for our country they have to depend on charity when they come home. I've helped quite a few ex soldiers in the charity work I do (helping people who feel depressed or suicidal) & every time I'm further convinced that there has to be a better way to resolve disputes.

p.s. So it was meant to be German? Ha!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 19:37:51 »
Reading those posts and watching that vid, almost makes me glad I live under the Heathrow landing flightpath ::)

Like the sheep in the valley, I am used to the Airbuses and 747s etc but the noise that really ruins my allotment bliss are the lads on their mopeds - sounds like angry wasps.  Remember that scene from the Great Escape where Steve McQueen runs wire across the road - that's whats in my head as they race up and down the road  :o :o

Should be grateful though, at least it takes their mind off of shed burning and general vandalism (touch wood)

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 08:44:17 »
We get incessant "essential training " flights from Chinooks from nearby Odiham. When they come in low, which is often, the whole house vibrates. Question the flights at your peril round here as the military can do no wrong brigade are all over you. It's got worse over recent years.

Pales into insignificance though compared to the small planes and private helicopters that wheeze asthmatically slowly overhead on an clear day.

90% of the UK is unbuilt on but they like my house for some reason!!

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 12:43:18 »
Yeah, can't hear yourself think here for baaa-ing and bleating so I thought If I can't beat em I'll join em and bleat about the racket they make. I used to work on a helicopter airfield and lived on the flight path for the local aircraft show which was interesting.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 14:59:37 »
90% of the UK is unbuilt on but they like my house for some reason!!

Probably use it for target practice  ;D
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 10:58:42 »
Since 9am this morning we have had:

Heavy-duty professional lawnmower and strimmer in the churchyard just across the narrow lane from our garden.

2 x chainsaws and one of those giant chippers in the neighbours garden at the other side of the house. They are having their massive leylandii 'hedge' - at least 60' tall - reduced, a much needed job. Though I would take the whole thing out and start again if it was me. The tree surgeon is a scary sight, standing on one of the stumps cutting the next tree. He is wearing a hard hat but I can't see any harness.

So I am indoors at computer on A4A with windows closed as the racket is pretty near unbearable. At least they are synchronising their efforts, and the peace will be extra-blissful when they are finished.
 ;)

Edit: Now, on the principle I expect of if you can't beat them, the  neighbour opposite is power-washing her car with the radio full blast, so I can feel the base throbbing (I am sitting at the slightly quieter front of the house now nearer to her) and hear the music when the others have a quiet moment.

I think perhaps a therapeutic trip to the garden centre is called for - or earplugs anyone??  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:09:40 by Morris »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 12:03:01 »
I just returned from the peaceful 1800's in Amish country, Pennsylvania where we rode a slow coal fed train and drove behind slow horse-drawn buggies. Except for the train whistle echoing across the valley it was a quiet afternoon. The restaurant newspaper explained why they don't allow telephones in homes (it keeps interactions face to face, no interruptions of family time, no gossiping). Not sure that would stop the latter, but there is something to say for peace and quiet and slowing life down.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 20:26:50 »
Just walking back from the plot and an enormous Military plane flew really low straight over my allotment.
Happens all the time up here but this one was pretty low.
Managed to get the camera out in time and did a vid below.
Total pain they are !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTtTynW75oA

Blimey - that's low!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 01:00:32 »
I see the problem. I remember a Concorde going over low once - I've no idea what it was doing there - and it made a hell of a racket. They used to rattle the windows when I was in Cornwall.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 02:40:30 »

Well if we stopped sticking our noses in other people's business it wouldn't be so bad, would it - I'd like a smaller military but I also believe that we're overstretched and the men & women in the one we have should be looked after better than the way they are at the moment.
I know we disagree on many things Smiffy - but I actually do have a lot of respect for the people in the front line of our armed forces - I just don't think they should have been sent to the places they've been sent lately. It's not their fault and I think it's terrible that after what we expect people to do for our country they have to depend on charity when they come home. I've helped quite a few ex soldiers in the charity work I do (helping people who feel depressed or suicidal) & every time I'm further convinced that there has to be a better way to resolve disputes.

This ^^^

I know... Lazy answer.... But hey... :P
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 08:08:57 »

......... her car with the radio full blast, so I can feel the base throbbing (I am sitting at the slightly quieter front of the house now nearer to her) and hear the music when the others have a quiet moment.

Ah the sounds of summer (or nice weather). We had that on Good Friday, neighbour had workmen round fitting windows (at least they waited tll 10am and not 07:45 as for rest of week). When they weren't thumping the walls with great big hammers of cutting bricks or drilling we had the radio on and them "singing" along.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 08:47:05 »
We always know in advance when a conflict starts, because of the increased training flights of extremely low flying fighter jets.  Last batch of flights were just before Libya and we 'knew' weeks in advance that we were definitely going into Iraq.  Brain rattlingly noisy.  They are actually quite difficult to see, because they are gone by the time the noise hits.  You have to look 'ahead' of the noise.  They always fly in pairs and you can see the second one more easily.  They are flying unbelievably low.  We also get low flying large transport helicopters, chinnook I think,  on final approach to a local airfield and other less noisy traffic.  The small sports aircraft and motor gliders are very quiet by comparison.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 09:23:27 »
We get the Saturday afternoon relay lawn mowing brigade. Why they can't do it all at the same time has baffled me for years  ::)

And the Gatwick airport 'low flying where they shouldn't be' contest.

OH maintains that I can't have an antiaircraft missile  :'(
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 10:41:20 »
I hate bonfires days on end.  Someone had one going for three days.  Lit it and disappeared.  If they are not prepared to put up with it why do they thing other people want to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal