Author Topic: Newbies lose the plot  (Read 14567 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Newbies lose the plot
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:50 »
hi all
just wondering, how many newbies give up the plot in the first year ?
and for what reason. it was a good idea at the time !!.

jim

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Newbies lose the plot
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:43 »
I have just had a tenant return  one after 6 weeks due to ill health.  All newbies on our site are given a three month probation period.  Some do not get it renewed because the plot has in most cases, not been touched since the day it was signed for; meaning it is in a worse state for weeds etc since before it was allocated.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:28 »
In the days when we only offered full-size plots covered in weed and bramble - plenty. Since we started offering only half-size plots, four in the past two years (and one of those moved out of the area).

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 18:58:43 »
We also have been using a 6 month probationary period for new plotholders for the past few years, I think it has been a great success as it prevents the plot being tied up for years in dispute while we try and evict someone who has done little or nothing to it. The state of the plot doesn't seem to matter, some of our more neglected plots have been transformed by newbies.

Most comon reason for non cultivation I guess is the undersestimation of time and effort it takes to keep on top of a plot. We have had a few people with odd excuses though, they 'only wanted a summer plot' or 'had planted it all up but when they returned (months later) the weeds had overgrown it all'....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 19:28:00 »
We had someone ask for a Summer plot once Deb, our site secs face was a picture
My next plot neighbour Sid has given up his bigger plot next to me and kept his smaller one opposite, two lady's have taken on the split plots, but have not been seen yet, the weeds were controllable 6 weeks ago, but now they will have a job to get on top of it, the dandylions are all over the place, I've topped all the ones with in reach, if they don't turn up soon I'll have to take action.  :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 19:49:52 »
We have about fifty plots on our site, most started two years ago and a few last year and we have another eight or so newbies this  year.  Only three people have given up and two of those had health issues.  

We have no rules about cultivation though some people have taken longer than others to get things going.   I think several who would have fallen foul of cultivation rules have turned things around with a bit of time and perseverance.   One plot was a mess at the end of year one but is now a joy to behold.  

We just do not seem to have problems with newbie syndrome.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 15:54:48 »
We have two plot inspections a year, but they are fairly low-key. They are done by a couple of Committee members - not the officers - plus a couple of other plot-holders. They decide when to do it and what criteria to use. We stress that we are not counting weeds, or looking at gardening styles, but looking for warning signs of members who might be falling by the wayside.

They report back to Committee, their results are discussed and I make a low-key contact with members as needed. That's normally all that is needed. If problems continue, then it becomes decidedly more formal, and if necessary we take steps to get rid of them.

But normally, just the fact - and the fairness - of the plot inspections is sufficient.

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 16:14:04 »
We have two plot inspections a year, but they are fairly low-key. They are done by a couple of Committee members - not the officers - plus a couple of other plot-holders. They decide when to do it and what criteria to use. We stress that we are not counting weeds, or looking at gardening styles, but looking for warning signs of members who might be falling by the wayside.

They report back to Committee, their results are discussed and I make a low-key contact with members as needed. That's normally all that is needed. If problems continue, then it becomes decidedly more formal, and if necessary we take steps to get rid of them.

But normally, just the fact - and the fairness - of the plot inspections is sufficient.

not that we have inspections but the way above should be done by all associations

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 16:58:29 »

This is the way to go I think and we too try to keep it low key.  We rarely have to throw people off but newbies need a bit of encouragement every now and then (as do we all!).  Some people just cant comit the time and effort and they generally leave when they realise that.  Mind you our waiting list got so long that people's situations may have changed quite a lot while waiting...

We only turn over four or five plots a year but I would say out of five - one will leave in year one and another in year two.  The rest will be OK!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 19:57:02 »
no wonder newbie give up on the plot when they have choice of no plot or weed infested mess.  No wonder there so many poor plot on allotments.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 20:03:35 »
if you have good intentions and are dedicated then a weed infested plot shouldn't be a problem - our plot policing is quite lax but we do have quite a long waiting list but it is hard and unpleasant sometimes needing to evict someone, what usually happens is they just stop turning up and that makes the decision done and dusted  :D

blackcountrysteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 20:53:48 »
It's a 50/50 split with newbies on our site.
Some just don't realise how much hard work is needed to maintain a plot, then lose faith and dissapear
Also a few have turned poor plots in to something to be proud of.
When a plot does become available it is rarely in a good cultivated state, which can be off putting for newcomers

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 21:00:20 »
no wonder newbie give up on the plot when they have choice of no plot or weed infested mess.  No wonder there so many poor plot on allotments.
I have noticed that there are quite a few allotments that have a change over date in the early spring just as the weeds are starting to grow, on our site plot rental runs from 1st Jan to 31 Dec this gives the newbie a chance to do winter digging without the weeds growing behind them faster the they can dig.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:41 »
Paul. What a great idea. Why has no one thought of this before. Probably because the subs are paid in October.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:37:48 »
Our subs are due on January 1st, with a cut-off date of our AGM at the end of January or beginning of February. I ask members who are thinking of giving up or down-sizing to let me know before the bills are sent out in December. This means that by mid-February I know which plots I can re-let. I've just finished this process, which means that newcomers can get to grips with their new plot at the start of the season.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:32 »
That is really sensible Trevor.
I know that Squash at Walsall Rd puts a notice up well before October asking if members who are thinking of downsizing or giving up would let her know.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:07 »
That is really sensible Trevor.
I know that Squash at Walsall Rd puts a notice up well before October asking if members who are thinking of downsizing or giving up would let her know.

Last year was the first time I did this and it worked.  A few weeks ago we had no waiting-list for the first time in about seven years.  That only lasted for about a week and we have a waiting-list again now.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:32 »
Our change over date is 1st Feb and most get stuck in during March.  Perhaps the change over date is relevant.  

I do think people need to be warned about weeds and what to do about them.  The first couple of weeks of may are particularly problematic, I went on holiday and returned to find millions of them on a take over bid.  Because they had two weeks to get hold it was a real chore to get rid of them.

But I think a little aencouragement and support goes a long way.

Our plots were very well fertilized at the beginning so it was a case of light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.  It will be interesting to see what happens when that runs out.  

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 14:38:55 »
Our fees are due this weekend and new plots generally start becoming available after that when people don't turn up to pay or give them up...which to me is daft because people end up with plots on which the weeds are actively growing and end up battling them before much work can be done  :-\.

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 14:49:01 »
Our changeover date is "Lady day" which was the Quarter day when Agricultural tenants paid the first quarter's rent I believe.  We stuck to that date because of nostalgia on my part I guess.

I can see what you are all saying about an earlier date being more practical esp. further south.

In practise on a small site I often have an inkling that someone is giving up by then anyway.

Some people are very reasonable and give as much notice as possible to let the next person get a head start.
Some do not! ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal