Author Topic: Newbies lose the plot  (Read 14566 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Newbies lose the plot
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 19:26:28 »
People tend to underestimate the size of the job, especially when they take on a plot in a bad state. Quite a few disappear once they realise what they've tackled!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 22:31:11 »
Our AGM is the last weekend in March and the financial year - (rent payment) - starts on 1st April. I  was instrumental in changing this from  December.  I have been secretary for over three years and  have noted a big improvement over that time. People used to ignore my letters. This year two members got back to me to say that my criticisms were quite right and that they were giving up their plots. Mind you the new secretary will still have to chase up one or two!!

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 08:49:16 »
I cannot understand why anyone would pay good money for a plot and not do it, would it not be better to just give it up so that someone else can have it that will use it.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:23:07 »
The rents starting in Jan works, plus a friendly attitude from the committee , although advice is not usually hard to find on allotments, tips an soil conditions, pests what grows well etc is always a help, some tenants need info on when to plant seeds etc, we have some guides stuck up in the shop, and are planning an expansion with a library , magazine subscriptions, soil testing etc. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 09:31:18 »
Ours are due in January, still the two split plots next to mine are not being worked, the one opposite has not been attended since last Summer, he grew loads of squashes, pumpkins, sweetcorn etc, but the weeds grew around them and were never picked, I am told he has paid his money for this year but that and the two around me are getting junglised and there's enough dandylions to fill a skip, one is  not happy and ready to explode.   >:( >:( >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:50 »
Would it be possible to produce some kind of exam for potential plot holders.  Questions such as how long are you going to spend on the plot each week, when should you sow carrots, why should you remove dandelions and what will you do with 10 millions hat hen seedlings could be covered.   More contentious could be what are your children going to be doing while you are busy on the plot, is your dog going to be under control and are you going to spray weedkiller on a windy day. 

Which of the following will annoy your plot neighbour the most, dog doo on their plot, weed seeds blowing all over the place, children running all over the plot, all of the above?

Where is the best place to get advice: other plots holders, a good gardening book, the internet, A4A, I just hoping to muddle through or I already know everything about everything so I need no help?

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 14:55:53 »
Digeroo if they new all those answers they would not be newbies.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 15:04:05 »
Digeroo  ;D

But there is a lot to be said for nursery plots: starting newbies out with a small area and see how they get on before giving them a 5 or 10 pole plot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 15:14:47 »
First it was something of a joke as Denbyvisitor spotted, and secondly I thought perhaps such questions might just make them think before taking on a plot.  We are not suffering from newbie syndrome.  Just been down on site and most of our Newbies are down there getting stuck in.    

picman

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 19:16:22 »
Like the idea of a quiz , also a test digging session , some starters think the spade is just for shoveling...

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 19:46:24 »
That's why we introduced Starter Plots - just two raised beds each about 4' by 12', plus a cold frame and a communal grassy orchard - as folk who have never gardened before can manage that. And the first three takers have now moved on to 'proper' allotments and are going great guns!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 20:54:15 »
Where is the best place to get advice: ....... A4A, .......

Love it!!!  ;D

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 16:11:32 »
Its worth looking a a potential new members garden if thats a mess aviod

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 16:58:32 »
I would move all the newbies onto my plot and start them off digging
After a couple of days or so when they've got the hang of it I would move them on to other projects
Weeding
Digging pits
Hoeing
Bringing their home compost and putting it into my daleks and giving them a goood mix
Painting and clearing out my shed
Etc, etc
After a few months the keen ones would be given a plot to thereselves
Job done.    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 18:06:52 »
Thanks for making me smile, Cornykev

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 20:09:25 »
Is ours the only allotment site that does not have a waiting list?

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 15:35:28 »
bumping.....may be new reasonns to pack it in

jim

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 22:35:41 »
Is ours the only allotment site that does not have a waiting list?

My old one didn't but that's cos no-one knew it was there I think....

chirsc

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 22:51:05 »
I have just seen an ad in our local news letter offering allotments on our site. The site was extended to accommodate the waiting list 18 months ago.I think there are quite a few who took a plot and then gave up quite quickly.
Smile, it confuses people.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 23:01:49 »
Like the idea of a quiz , also a test digging session , some starters think the spade is just for shoveling...

I have had a heart attack and bowel cancer, i dont do digging, i use all petrol tools if i can, eg rotavator, electric barrel pump to water plot with a hose so i dont hump water about, , . So i wouldn't be entitled to a plot by you criteria, since i dont do hard work....
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal