Author Topic: Whats your state of play so far  (Read 9201 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Whats your state of play so far
« on: March 25, 2011, 18:44:20 »
Beetroot, Parsnips, Carrots, Kale, Cabbages, Beetroot, Cauli and Marigolds all sown on the plot

Early Spuds, Shallots and onions all planted

PSB just growing thumb size heads and other cabbages all looking healthy under the blue piped netting cage thingy

A couple of sneaky spring onions looking healthy under the netting. ( how did they get there )

Rhubarb coming along nicely

One competition spud up in the tub

Some Strawberry's starting to form flowers

Curly Kale still cropping

Indoors: 14 out of 20 Tigerella's up, 6 out of 10 Pearl garden up and only 1 out of 10 Roma barely breaking the surface

Cucumbers not showing

Celeriac barely pushing the surface

Cauli Romansecu just pushing through

Marigolds up

Sowed carrots in back garden

Shallots in back garden, shoots 4/6 inches high

Strawberry's looking healthy.

;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 19:27:06 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Whats your state of play so far
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 18:54:01 »
 :o somebody has been busy..
I've only just cleared last of the carrots and parnips from the land ::)
Well..PSB is just showing first signs of  budding.
Spring caulis are looking lush and green..no signs of cauli though.
Kale is growing like weeds..loads to cut.
Tomatoes are all in jiffy's..indoors
Chillies and peppers are looking good ..indoors
Onions, leeks and shallots are all in modules in cold GH
Potatoes will be going in this weekend..one hopes...
All bedding plugs will be potted this weekend.
Rhubarb will give first tasters very soon.
Peach is in full bloom in GH
Plenty of salad stuff in planters in GH
Peas are up...first crop grown in buckets in GH
Herb seeds sown and in propagator
Oca in GH..potted but not showing growth yet..tiger nuts and bulbous 'sweet peas' are up..and and.... ::)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 19:21:25 »
havent got much in ground yet,just the normals of gooseberrys,strawberrys,logans,rhubarb and blackcurrant

lots of bulbs coming through,lots in full flower

desiree and maris in waiting,onions too

in greenhouse i have sweetpeas,morning glory,and mixed wild flowers doing strong,sunflowers breaking for light

plenty of leeks doing good,sweetcorn showing there heads,and pumpkin and courgette starting off

have peas in modules started,to go with seed outside.i buy my tom plants off a local shop so only prepared the greenhouse space

also buy in pepper and chilli plants,puts a few pounds there way  ;)

just need to get a start on the french beans,and get an ideal carrot bed set.

need to decide on a place for a victoria plum this year,and also a grape vine

have some scaffholding ready for bending to deliver the vine across,will be for next year so can give the soil the right conditions. think im on track  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 19:51:21 »
Tomatoes for the plant sale in 5" pots, ours still in 3 1/2.
Earlies and seconds in on both plots, peppers and cucumbers ready to be transplanted,
garlic and onions coming along great
soft herbs doing well in mini greenhouse in poly, along with celeriac,
red fuego, fielderkraut, greyhound cabbage, speedy cauli, fillbasket sprout pricked out into trays,
peas about !" tall in gutters inside, lots of salad leaves ready to cut 
all the fruit trees are getting ready for a good year ;D

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 19:56:14 »
Tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, basil, doing nicely on the windowsills. Tatties in, onion sets in, broadies and mangetout sown in the greenhouse. Last of the parsnips in a box at the top of the drive begging to be taken away....and asparagus on the plate tonight! Wayhay!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 20:13:00 »
Got loads of onions and shallots in, spuds going in little by little. Things are slow for me this Spring as I can't use my right hand due to injury, so frustrating! (OH is my typist  :))

However sowing seeds is no problem, and I've got full windowsills! Tomatoes are doing well, potted up,  some under cloche made of old shower screen in garden, they seem happy.

All in all, in spite of the hand, I'm happy with it all so far.  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:29:16 »
everything and anything that is edible is growing fantastic - the list is too long  ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 13:32:08 »
Got loads of onions and shallots in, spuds going in little by little. Things are slow for me this Spring as I can't use my right hand due to injury, so frustrating! (OH is my typist  :))

However sowing seeds is no problem, and I've got full windowsills! Tomatoes are doing well, potted up,  some under cloche made of old shower screen in garden, they seem happy.

All in all, in spite of the hand, I'm happy with it all so far.  :)
How nice of your OH! hello OH! hope that hand recovers soon x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 20:14:30 »
Allotment is dug over.
Sweetpeas are about 6" in greenhouse (can these now go outside in pots and ground???)
All peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers sown and up,  all at least 4" tall.
Spring onions, radish, early carrots sown in tubs
Chive, basil, lavender, lemongrass, mint all sown in pots.
Broadbeans just transplanted out today.
Pentland javelin all planted today.
2x Redcurrant bushes planted today.
12 Strawberry plants planted out 2 weeks ago.
Giant winter leeks sown in pots, 3" tall
Sturon onions all planted out today.
Onion seeds through in seed trays in greenhouse
20 new raspberry canes, 10 of each, planted out 3 weeks ago.
12 primo up in the greenhouse.
Candid charm growing well in the greenhouse
Parthenon calabrese doing well in the greenhouse.
Petunias just poking through
Marigolds all doing well
Feltham first peas direct sown today
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 21:05:46 »
Well due to bad back at the end of last year and my mum being ill and having to be a carer for her im still digging over, but so far ive done this.

tomatoes  sown and up,  all at least 2" tall.
early carrots sown in tubs
all herbs in pots doing well
pea and beans just sown and showing a bit of life
First and second early spuds in, and one lot of main crop, rest to go in if I am brave enough to take the twins to the plot on my own during school holidays,
1 red goosberyy bush plantred
10 golden and one red raspberry bush used to filll in gaps in the rasberry beds.
48 Strawberry plants planted out over the last week.
 onions, garlic ans shallotsin and shooting
kale broccoli, beetroot turnip and calabrese all sown by my 3 year old sons who are delighted that their seeds are now little seedlings safe in porch being watered with love.
Sweetcorn planted and have a few nice plants and more seeds in.
leek seedlings doing well
Rhubarb split resited and doing well.
Courgettes plants doing well in porch
Pumpkin seeds showing signs of life.

and I thought I was quite behind still, im actually quite pleased with myself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 21:08:59 by brownowl23 »

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 22:02:30 »
 :o WOW this thread makes me feel very behind! I was hoping to get my spuds in today but it rained & the clay got too wet to work. Why does the sun do a runner at the weekend ???
I havent sown a thing yet as this year Im trying to sow as much as pos directly. Does feel odd not to have my windowsills over flowing....Im planning on growing alot of winter squash this year & they all get sown much later. If we have a wet dull summer I will regret giving over half my lotty to squash plants so fingers crossed ;) 

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 22:32:57 »
Today I put the last of my seeds to chitting on damp kitchen roll - french beans, squashes and corn. Already chitting courgettes and cucumbers. Everything else I grow is already up and doing well - so apart from watering and checking the seeds daily for potting up I can take it easy till the end of April.

I've reduced the number of varieties of tomatoes to 7 this year. None of the peppers germinated so I'll buy in one plant later if I remember. I still have so many red and yellow peppers - and chillies - frozen from last year I don't really need any.

Tricia

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 00:40:08 »
Parsnips still waiting to be lifted ::)
Garlic just popped up
Peas sprouting
Tomatoes growing second leaves
Potatoes still to go in, maybe next weekend for some
Lettuce seedlings up, but taking an age to get any bigger !
Peppers, aubergines and chillis coming along nicely
Broad beans, broccoli, leeks and cucumber sown
Peach has one flower on it
Kale didn't really do anything, so wondering if I should pull it
Looking forward to strawberries :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:59 »
Well we have been busy peeps! Makes me look positively backward at coming forward  :)

Pigeonseed - hope the hand heals soon, as much as we appreciate your OH's typing  ;)  :)

Planted - 1st earlies, peas and some salads

Sown - salads, pak chois, celeriac, tomoatoes, aubergines, peppers, chillies, a few flowers (Cosmos, Marigolds etc), spring onions, true potato seed, spinnach, leeks....

Waiting to be planted - sweat peas, salads, spuds and more peas

Waiting to be sown - list is waaaaay too long to mention! I'm looking forward to the beans and peas, have yet to decide what and where to grow it all! ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 11:12:58 »
I thought I was reasonably on top of things, however, reading this thread makes me wonder!

Shallots and garlic: I still have two rooted trays to plant out, but only because my seemingly never ending manure mound is taking up the room where they nede to be planted out!

My potato beds are covered with black plastic to warm the ground, potaotes are chitting but only have very small chits, but I intend to bung them in next week anyway.

Some salad onions and lettuce direct sown in the cold frame, carrots may go in under a cloche today hopefully before my night shift.Brassicas in modules in the cold greenhouse, some have germinated, other still waiting for them...

Tomatoes, chillies peppers, cucumbers, melons (yes, again!) sweet peas and calendulas all sown and almost ready for potting on, but quite a few of my 'old' chilli seed hasn't shown yet. Leeks have been in the propagator for a week and nothing from any of them either yet..... :-\ Have loads of bunching onions, banana shallots in modules that will be planted out later in April and left to grow on in clumps

Still to sow any beans,sweetcorn or other flowers, I'm trying hard to get a bit of a succession going, but I've never cracked it to date........

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 19:31:48 »
I'm always slow getting stuff in, as I like to let the ground warm up a bit first. But I've got Serpette Guilotteau and Robinson's Purple Podded peas, Aquadulce Claudia broad beans, oca, Welsh onions, and Musselburgh and Winter Giant leeks in pots or seed trays, and All the Year Round lettuce, Spanish Black carrots and Bloomingdale Long Standing spinach in the ground. I'll be putting more in during the week.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 19:54:49 »
In the ground: rhubarb starting to get going. Redcurrant, blackberry & gooseberry all have new leaf growth.
blackberry cuttings in pots & grow bag have their new leaves too

In cold greenhouse: approx 50 peas about 1.5" tall ( some in guttering, others in seed tray)

Indoor sowing: All the following are at early growth stage: leek musselburgh, peppers, kale, cauli AYR, rocket, thyme, aubergine, coriander, tomatoes (7 varieties - although costoluto & golden sunrise are slow)

Not showing yet: spring onion, onion ailsa craig, cress, some lettuces, rosemary, dill, sweetcorn, courgettes,

to sow: beetroot, french bean, carrots, brussel sprouts, and whatever else  ;D

Debs

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 15:39:58 »
Oh maybe I am doing quite well this year then!
- All spuds in bar about 10 that got forgotten
- All alliums in and some leeks sown in a seedbed
- some beetroot, broccoli, lettuce sown in a seedbed
- early carrots and spinach sown straight in and fleeced
- Peas in - kelvedon wonder, Alderman talls, some freebies from a swap (Early Alaskan, Half Pint and mangetout)
- Indoors tomatoes, aubergines, peppers sown, up and potted on - courgettes, squash and beans I direct sow end April/ start May
- Rhubarb and artichoke were divided this winter but actually doing pretty well, except one piece of rhubarb that has died (but I think I didn't divide it very well).
- Fruit on the way pretty well (rasps, gooses, strawbs)

Still have to dig over the squash and summer tenders plot but that is only 1/4 of the plot so I am doing pretty well. Just need to tidy the edges, weed the flowers and herbs and get some stable waste for mulch!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 20:08:28 »
Kestrels are nearly all in
Sowed more carrots
Tidied up Raspberry's
Sowed Sunflowers
Potted on cauli's
Wood chipped 1/3 of the paths
Sowed Leeks
Planted eggplants
Sowed Aubergines
3 Cucumbers up in pots
 ;D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 20:11:57 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 20:36:01 »
You are all in front of me, Pots went in about 2 weeks ago , Leeks are in pots ,and wont be planted out till about middle of may, Cabbage round, and sweet heart are all up in the green house they will go out in may. Caulis are the same and they will go out in may. Onions are in the ground but covered every night they should be ok.Broad beans are all well up and should be picking early june. Kidney beans went into trays tonight I put a wet kitchen roll on the tray , space out the beans cover with cling film and leave in  a warm place for about 2 weeks as soon as the tails are out plant into 3inch pot and into colsd G/H will be eating beans middle of july onwards. AS for flowers there must be a couple of hundred, nearly ready to pot on. (only wish people would return the pots)LOL
m j gravell

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal