Author Topic: wilko goji berry  (Read 4761 times)

happy larry

• Not So New ...
wilko goji berry
« on: February 28, 2011, 13:27:49 »
Having a mouch around wilko yesterday,spotted there fruit bushes and noticed this goji plant,read the gumph i like liquirice so decided to give it a go.Any other members tried them,it says 2 years to fruit.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: wilko goji berry
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 14:48:55 »
I bought 2 last year.  They are just coming into leave so will be interested to hear what they do.  I did not realise how tall they grow!!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 14:51:25 »
I've grown some from seed and they are now 3 yrs old bushes..no berries as yet.
But they should not need any fancy treatments and are hardy to take any weather our climate should throw at.
Only thing is ...be aware that they do grow rather large bushes..not tidy neither..maybe best used in mixed hedge where they get supported by other plants and they can be left to do their thing ...to some limit of course.. ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 15:59:57 »
I have several I grew from seed two and half years ago (Saved from a damaged packet of fruit from Sainsburies).  Got one small berry last year and about a dozen flowers, so hoping for better crop this year.  I also bought a plant from Aldi which has completely different shaped leaves.  They are all now coming into leaf so are quite happy with -13. 

Now all I need is the berries.  What is the connection with licquorice?  I would not call them tasty more chewy. 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 16:55:16 »
I have two huge three year old bushes, strong growers and pruned for control, and if they don't fruit this year, they are going out (or if that is too difficult, cut right down to the ground to give them a shock and make a short hedge). They root fantastically easily from cuttings.

I like goji berries, and my son's elderly Chinese m-in-law and her friends swear by them for their continued health in their late 70s. But so far I have been disappointed by my bushes, bought as well rooted cuttings and not cheap.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 17:55:05 »
I do suspect that  to fruit well they have to be really really well establish..it would not suprise if the main branches need to be properly woody and able to support the crop. I'm not expecting my bushes to do much nothing for few years yet.
I've got Aronia bush too that has been in ground now 4 yrs and last summer it did 5 berries ::)..slowly but surely.. ;) ;D

Slugcrusher

• Not So New ...
  • Nothing personal - it's just them or me
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 20:42:10 »
I have several plants now trained into tree bush format, this will be their fourth year so I am hoping for a bigger crop this year. There is very little practical information on cultivating this plant - any available from the suppliers here and from the EU is laughable.  :(

The best place for information is www.go-gogi.com
  ;) :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 22:39:25 »
Mmmm, I think I will give these a miss this year and buy mine from the supermarkeet

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 23:44:21 »
I've only ever seen dried ones for sale in supermarkets, can't wait to try some fresh.

I've got a couple on my allotment, I'm hoping for some fruit this year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 00:00:30 »
This site suggest it takes four years! 

http://www.fruitexpert.co.uk/GrowingGojiBerries.html

Looks like I still have some considerable time to wait.

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 21:48:45 »
hi all, mine have been planted for18 months now and are just leggy lengths of growth approx` 5-6ft and simply drooping over but very healthy - do i support the canes or leave them to find their own way ??
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 22:28:45 »
I think it is totally up to you..if you need to see them tidier, by all means you can support..but they don't necessary need to..other than those that would otherwise be on ground...we don't want any soil on our berries ;)

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 14:44:13 »
Somebody kindly gave me some seeds. Some sources say they are not winter hardy in their first year. Do I need to keep them indoors this year?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 16:24:24 »
Untill they have formed proper woody growth they will need to be kept out of worst cold weather...but cold GH is enough..they don't need pampering.
When I did sow mine..it was about this time of the year..and following winter I kept them in cold GH..they were outside all summer and autumn they were moved in...but I did missed couple of plants ::) For my suprise they over wintered fine outdoors in pots...and started growth as well as the 'indoor' ones ;)

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 18:54:43 »
Thanks for that, I'll sow them in pots and put the pots in the ground for their first summer. I'm not very reliable with watering, so that will hopefully keep them more humid than leaving the pots above ground.

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 19:01:27 »
i have two plants i have had them for three years had loads of berries last year but the saying is if they taste horrible they are good for you they must be excellent for you the taste is something else

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:44 »
Did you dry them or eat them fresh? I rather like the taste of the bought dried ones, like raisins but not so sweet.

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 19:07:34 »
i had them fresh took some to work and some people loved them meant to be the best fruit for you so will eat them again this year

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 20:07:05 »
I think I read on another web-site that if you treat them well they are less likely to fruit, i.e. encourage the conditions that make the plant feel that it has to fruit. I had fruit for the 1st time last year (4th year of growth). Tasted liquoricy, but yield not great.

I have aronia, I think - are they Chokeberries? If so, I had a good crop in the 2nd year, the taste wasn't too great. However, last year, the 3rd year the taste was far better & better yield too.

I've got Honeyberries. They fruited & were one of the bitterest things I've ever tasted. Again, on another site, I believe the taste can vary considerably. Hope this year it follows the Chokeberry pattern.

People's tastes differ, but try 'silver stemmed berry' from Korewild. Orangey coloured berries with an orangey taste. Extremely thorny though.

Slugcrusher

• Not So New ...
  • Nothing personal - it's just them or me
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 19:09:46 »
My apologies everyone :-[

In a previous post I incorrectly spelt the name in a link to a great site with lots of very good information on the history and cultivation of the goji berry.

The correct link is www.go-goji.com

Anyone interested in this plant and its cultivation please have a look.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal