Author Topic: flexi ball - bamboo cane joiners  (Read 13747 times)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
flexi ball - bamboo cane joiners
« on: February 24, 2011, 21:14:53 »
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone else is using these, but they're really useful for joining bamboo canes to put up protective netting etc:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSMERE-FLEXI-BUILD-BALLS-CANE-JOINERS-10-PACK-/280624044640?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item41567f1a60

T&M/Unwins sell something similar (FIGO I think its called), but these are a fraction of the price

hope its useful!
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: flexi ball - bamboo cane joiners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 21:20:50 »
They are good. Much better than buildaballs I think they were called.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 21:26:51 »
Thanks for posting this.  I have a huge red currant which I keep failing to keep fully protected.  This gives me a great idea for building a huge frame with canes around the entire plant.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 21:32:34 »
No bother, hope they work out for you! - I got a couple of packs as the T&M ones were £18 'ish for 10
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 19:57:15 »
    or you could use empty one pint plastic milk bottles. they are free.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 21:24:08 »
Please explain!?

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:53:14 »
i have this on my raised beds for my netting they are really good but i have to say i do work for Bosmere and they are packed by me  ;D i think they are the best product we sell

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:19 »
They are going for £5 on Amazon, not sure about the pp though, more about the milk bottles please LesH.   ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:25:37 »
Plotter on our site had some , it all fell apart with th first strong wind.  blue water pipe hoops in ground much better.   

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:52:18 »
I actually made quite a good structure with two canes rammed up the ends of a curved blue water piper.   I found two worked better then one it actually looked quite good as well.  It withstood quite a blast.  Plastic blew off but the structure held well, so with netting no issue.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:57:06 »
Hi Digeroo,

I have toyed with the idea of trying the plastic waterpipes too - is it expensive to buy?

cheers
Sheddie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:34:10 »
I got mine from screwfix.  There was much more in the roll than I needed so should have palled up with someone.   I chose them because I drive past them on a weekly basis so it was convenient.

It makes good cloches as well.    We have huge deer issues so more or less everything will have to be covered this year so I am going to go into production.  It is quite stiff so not easy to bend into small cloches.  I have tried warming it but not very successfully.  So I have had to widen my beds.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:44:42 »
I've used ball-pool balls which I got on freecycle- so free, obviously!

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 12:45:51 »
Cheers Digeroo,

Will have to have a look into this! - Toyed with the idea of buying some last year but the local B&Q prices put me off. Looking on the screwfix website, I found this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83620/Plumbing/Water-Pipe-and-Fittings/MDPE-Blue-Pipe-20mm-x-50m

Does that look like to same stuff you are using? - if so, not a bad price for 50metres!

thanks again,
Sheddie

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 14:50:09 »
I used these to build a fruit cage but found the holes were too small for the bigger canes. They would work better with the thinner aluminium tubing.

They are great for sticking on the top of smaller canes as eye protection, look much nicer than upturned milk cartons!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 14:54:36 »
I used the grey overflow pipe.  It was about £2 per length from builders merchants and cut them inhalf.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 15:16:41 »
The screwfix pipe is a good price.  I wish I'd looked there - though 50m is more than I needed, I haven't quite used all the roll I bought.  Mine was from Wickes, approx £25 for 25m.  Very sturdy and flexible, and I think it looks nice.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/MDPE-Pipe/invt/425072

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 15:32:41 »
I tried the flexi balls and was a bit disappointed.  The cages weren't very robust, I'd say buy one pack and see how you get on with them first.

I bought a load of ground spikes that are sold to hold rotary washing lines.  Tesco were selling them for 60p each, OK that is not that cheap if you buy 20 but with the blue water pipe you have a lot of potential to build cages that will stand the wind, last a long time and pull up and reassemble easily.  Drive the spikes in to the ground and push in the water pipe hoops and away you go.  Works for me.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 15:47:43 »
I think that is the stuff I got.    I have whittled some wooden spikes which I have rammed up the end and then plant into the soil so I have not put the plastic into the soil.  Branches off trees are easy to come by here.

They do not hold it in stock, so either you have to do a pay and collect which was not available when I got mine or go in twice, once to order and once to collect.  In the end I paid for delivery and having ordered it about 8:30 one evening it turned up at 8:15 the next morning.

I cannot remember if I got 20 or 25mm.  Wickes one is 25.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal