Author Topic: When is a good time to prune my hedge?  (Read 2905 times)

David P

• Quarter Acre
When is a good time to prune my hedge?
« on: February 12, 2011, 14:53:23 »
Hello all

Just a very quick one.... I planted a hedge in my back garden last year and was wondering when the best time to prune it is?  I was thinking of doing it this afternoon but if i'm too late I dont want to cause asny damage.

Thanks

Dave

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: When is a good time to prune my hedge?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 16:21:18 »
What species hedge?

Now will be fine for a native mix, but it'll be getting a bit late in a couple of weeks when the sap starts to rise.

Remember though that birds start to nest soon, certainly by the begining or March, and sooner in some years, so whatever, leave it alone after the end of February.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 16:53:14 »
It's only a very new hedge... I dont think birds will be nesting in it yet as is still looks quite sparse.  It's a pack from wiggly wigglers... it has got spindles,  Dog wood, beech, copper beech, erm.. and a few more.
The spindles are doing the best the others kind of look like they are not doing too well.

Thanks for your help

Dave

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 17:06:42 »
If you hedge is that new...it should not need pruning other than maybe removing odd twig that may poke out of the 'shape'..odd one you can cut out anytime..but if you feel it needs more than that, wait untill leaves have come through.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 18:29:10 »
If you cut it down to about six inches, you'll encourage it to branch low down, and that'll give you a thicker hedge later. The key is to take your time, and give it an annual hard pruning. I've seen loads of attempts to grow hedges fail because they didn't get it.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 19:56:31 »
Dave, when last year did you plant it? If early spring, then just give it a very, very light trim to start shaping it. If later than spring, leave alone until next year.
DaiT

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 21:03:12 »
I did plant the hedge about March time last year as it was one of the last packs from Wiggly's... it's never really flowered yet.  I saw some copper beech leaves but that is about it, a few of the other plants did not make it.. so I bought some more in November to replace them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 14:51:46 »
Ahhh..that new..I would leave them to establish themselves properly yet.
Many flowering hedge plants will need to put some growth on and they flowers from that wood following year. So if you go and chop off now you won't see much next year...particularly when there is not much branches yet being it so new hedge.
I would just let them be and if you must take some height off if and when it start getting too tall.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 15:03:39 »
best advice I can give is prune all of the tops and sides, this will encourage a stronger, sturdier and more bushy hedge in the future.
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 15:17:10 »
If you want a good hedge, you need to plan for ten years' time, not this year or next. Hedging plants can all withstand heavy pruning well, obviously, so hack hard and take a few years over it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal