Author Topic: Abusive freecycler  (Read 11673 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Abusive freecycler
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 19:33:26 »
I forgot we left our Christmas tree out after the festivitys and that went after a few days.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 21:54:05 »
wow thats shocking i use freecycle quite a lot to pass on baby clothes etc and have recently been given a sewing machine ( quite an old jones but appears to be working) i would stick with it and forward the email to the moderator and ask for them to be banned.

Hugs xx

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 22:16:55 »
I got sent on a wild goose chase by some ******* to his ex partners address. Must have done it lots of times to her, by the state she was in. Every detail of the whole episode is etched on my mind, poor woman.  Told the Mods, Zilch.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 22:58:27 »
I've just had a really horrible email from someone who collected something I offered.
I'm still shaking after she accused me of upsetting her child deliberately as the item I'd donated wasn't the top of the range.I gave the model number and name
Is this common on freecycle ?I'm having second thoughts on continuing. :(
Or have I just got one of the "something for nothing"brigade ? >:(

Like others, we don't use Freecycle any longer.  I got fed up with people claiming to represent some charity or other who turned out to be Sunday boot sale traders having a giraffe.

Anything the St Luke's Hospice shop doesn't want goes to the tip.

Oh, and I and my motorcycling mates will be only to pleased to go and collect the substandard item from your email correspondent.  Please do let her know.  We'll give her back all the money she paid and everyfink.  With interest.  And if the kid complains, we'll explain the facts of life to it too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 23:02:21 by Melbourne12 »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 23:33:26 »
There are more "Wanted" articles than those offered.  If you look at who is requesting - a lot of the same names keep asking for loads of stuff and the same names request what is advertised.  Charity shop or skip for stuff now.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 23:42:47 »
I have used Freecycle on occasion.....its called Freegle in this area,they went it alone because of too many problems with the owners of Freecycle.....I have mainly given things away like surplus plants etc and have recieved a few great items myself like an 8 x 6 greehouse for one.

There are always the ones who reply time and time again and there are alwasy the same people asking for this and that evry week.Loked a few minutes ago and someone wants a clarinet(not cheap0 so who would want to give one of those away..there is also someone wanting a car!!!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 23:43:24 »
I tried a 'wanted' once, and was inundated with spam with links to dodgy websites.  :o

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 23:44:55 »
I won't use Freecycle as it's a 'for profit' organisation. It started out relying on volunteers and was 'not for profit' but changed and took over the networks started by those volunteers.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 23:53:26 »
Thanks folks for such kind words .
Interesting to read of all your experiences,I've just about calmed down .
I'm sobered by reading another post from A4 er having difficult times it puts all this into perspective,
bless you Manouche
sanity is overated

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:46 »
I've used freecycl;e both ways and have always found it POK.... you have to be sharpish to get slabs (the path up my allotment is entirely freecycled slabs), but both my barrows (home and lottie), two dalek composters, a couple of water butts and the big pile of builders bags I use fpr composting on the allotment and the compost bags I use for collecting manure all came from there.... on the otherside I've got orid of a pair of not very big used pond liners, pallets, slabs I didn't end up needing, the usual piles of junk etc....

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:24 »
I use it all the time in Bristol, and havent had any major problems. A lot of timewasters who don't turn up, or say they want the item delivered because they have kids (one only lived 5 minutes down the road!) but I am getting quite good at spotting these now. I set up 'Timewasters' and 'Good Freecyclers' email folders and always check before offering things.

Have found some really useful things that would have cost £££s and given away stuff to people who are genuinely skint and very appreciative of it. And I have got rid of loads of things that would have been a hassle to take to the tip or charity shop, and I don't give a monkeys if it ends up at a boot sale - I doubt these people are making much cash. Does make me laugh when I see Wanted ads for narrowboats and camper vans, but I suppose if you dont ask you dont get!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 08:21:46 »
There's a campervan on our site that hasn't moved since the mid 80's... if they can shift it I'm sure they could have it!!  ::)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:32 »
on the other hand I've had lots of great computer bits from Freecycle from nice people. I gave them fresh veg as a thank you.  I'd just be wary of offering stuff though I'd love to, just in case it was the Aged P's that answered the door and got a nasty person.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 11:49:44 »
I put a xmas tree on there late last year, a reply came within minutes from a woman living in the same road she told me her husband would be around for it that evening but no one came then around 10 30 there was a PC at the door. a prowler had been seen and it seemed his story was he was looking for a christmas tree!!! a likey story!!!! it seemed he had forgotten my house number. I got ticked off for being prepared to open my door to a stranger late at night and for not locking my door while watching TV lesson learned I hope they enjoyed the tree and it gave the neighbours a laugh
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:18 »
I usually take items to charity shops but some items are not suitable.  My experience of freecycle (last week) was offering plants, one of the replies was from someone who wanted these for a charity plant stall he would be doing.  Arranged that he would come to collect them and he wanted to dig them up himself, also he wanted 'all of them' - had said I had a lot and would make up several bags; then had an email from him, could I dig them up and deliver to him and he still wanted all of them and 'it is for charity' (so he didn't get any) - and they went to eight people who send polite replies.
Also just before Christmas offered my old gas cooker, it was in good condition but have changed it for a double oven one;  offered it to someone and they came back saying they'd need me to get it checked and they'd need a gas safety certificate with it and would need it delivering
I have occasionally replied to 'offers' and have only been successful once - that was for lots of mugs for our allotment shed (the person offering had an allotment on another site)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 13:20:14 »
I offer stuff on freecycle but make it a rule (and point this out in the posting) that I will never ask for anything that you couldn't find in a skip (it's just that sometimes there isn't a skip when you need it).

I think it's a good rule.

If someone does ask for something with value then that's a good reason to ignore them and take the object to the charity shop...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 13:35:48 »
Code: [Select]
I've just had a really horrible email from someone who collected something I offered.
I'm still shaking after she accused me of upsetting her child deliberately as the item I'd donated wasn't the top of the range.I gave the model number and name

MacMac, I would be tempted to copy the rude email to the whole Freecycle group, with a 'scam' warning about that user. You may get barred by the moderators but if you arent going to use it again it doesnt matter.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 14:09:06 »

MacMac, I would be tempted to copy the rude email to the whole Freecycle group, with a 'scam' warning about that user. You may get barred by the moderators but if you arent going to use it again it doesnt matter.

Hahahaha, sneaky - I like it!! (where's the evil grin smiley when you need it?!)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 14:17:27 »

my kind of thinking!!
You couldn't make it up!

Mel.Smith

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 14:20:25 »
I am a regular freecycler, always giving things away:

I am very very aware of who I give an item too.
You can tell by the emails who is genuine and who isnt.
If the mail doesn't have a please or a thank you, I dont even bother reading it.

I used to do first come first served..........but there are a lot of folk out there who use and abuse the system.

Its better to take the time and be more vigilant to who you are giving too via your emails.

Even after an item is collected, I have received genuine Thank you emails. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal