Author Topic: Tiny plant pots  (Read 10691 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Tiny plant pots
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:33 »
Does anybody know where I can get hold of tiny plant pots...5cm ones. I'm not bothered what colour they are..just the size.
I've been through all nurseries around here..DIY stores..looking at internet and I can't seem to find any.
Well..I have seen them in nurseries but with plants in them.. ::) They usually sell rooted cuttings of bedding or cactus etc. in those pots. I've got quite few accumulated when purchasing cuttings but now I'm in need of more...empty ones.
There must be company somewhere who sells them if they do exist for nurseries  ???
I don't mind even some second hand ones if somebody has them piled up and unwanted in their GH/shed.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Tiny plant pots
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:52:43 »
Put 5cm thumb plastic plant pots in the google box and you will get plenty!

Here is one for starters http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/2--Round-Heavyweight-Sankey-Plastic-Plant-Pots-0100.html

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:26 »
Cheers for that..I've tried all different things from 5 cm to 2 " etc. etc...must missed that "thumb" bit.. ;D ;)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:55 »
This is another source. I was looking for some too. I searched' 5cm round Terracotta pots'
http://www.highlandgardensupplies.co.uk/terracotta-pack-p-579.html
Gardening is the great leveller.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:00 »
I've just googled again...and although there seem to be on search that companies would have..once you get to page there is not.. ::) But that highlandgarden suppliers looks the job... ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:52:33 »
Look in the council yard skip after they finish doing the bedding. I half filled a transit van with all sizes of pots once and left them in a pile down the allotments. They will not be there yet but it is a good source for used pots. They cannot re-use theme because of disease, but a wizz over with a cheap steamer does the trick.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 14:01:23 »
Asda George - home and garden section always sell them in trays of 20.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 14:56:05 »
poundland have packs of small peat pots i think its 48 for a £1

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 15:24:17 »
I knew you lot don't let me down with advise.. ;D Thanks a lot. I'm sorted now..got what I wanted...well..ordered anyway.
Council's 'left overs' are not new to me..few years ago I got hundreds and hundreds of 6-plant trays and 3" pots..and with carry trays as well! If they don't perish before me I've got life time supply stacked up .. ::) ;D
As for the Asda..yes they had some last autumn..our local Asda haven't started stocking up with gardening stuff yet...unfortunately...and I'll be needing them very soon.
Talking about councils pots and trays...you would think they could get some folk to work for their jobseekers allowance and cleaning the pots. They must waste zillions of pounds and fill the landfill sites with their plastic 'ware'... ::) And they are not cheap to buy in garden centres if someone wants them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 15:31:49 by goodlife »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 16:31:40 »
The council is so full of red tape it cost them more to sell them than what they get back, so they just skip them. If you are selling plants make sure they are cleaned so as not to spread disease about.

We have to supply a plant passport which means new pots each time we do a show. It gets expensive, something to do with EEC rules and the amount of growers with big nurseries all at one show. It makes sense.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 16:36:20 »
You think 5cm round pots are hard to come by? Try getting 7x7x8 rigid square (well cuboid actually) black pots. Desch who used to make this size have stopped. Teku only do semi rigid ones. I have a case of some on order from Soparco in France. No one uses them any more says Desch. Well I do!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 18:07:10 »
You think 5cm round pots are hard to come by? Try getting 7x7x8 rigid square (well cuboid actually) black pots. Desch who used to make this size have stopped. Teku only do semi rigid ones. I have a case of some on order from Soparco in France. No one uses them any more says Desch. Well I do!

So do I - I love those size square ones.

The tiny pots - I get trays of them in places like Morrisons/poundland when they start stocking in the spring - I also love them as you an fit quite a few in trays in the kitchen.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 18:55:51 »
We get our square pots from here
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=1LTSR&name=pots&sfile=1&jump=4
I could've sent you some little pots, goodlife, we've lots that have been donated and we hardly use them

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 20:41:50 »
Not any more you don't. If you go to their site you will find that while they are on their Catalogue, they are not mentioned on site, only the 8x8 ones.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 21:04:45 »
Oh, d**n. I'll have to see how many we have , luckily we had some given back last year , might have to go with round ones  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 21:06:56 »
Well, if the ones I have ordered arrive and are worth having I will post the name of the suppliers on here.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 21:49:53 »
Thanks, I fear the postage may be a little high, we have a trade account with lbs which cuts our costs, it's only for the plant sales so I think we'll make do for this year  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:28 »
a case of 1,000 is costing me £12 in p. and p.  and altogether the bill is just under £60 which is comparable to LBS putative prices.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal