Author Topic: Juicer instructions needed  (Read 4821 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Juicer instructions needed
« on: February 06, 2011, 21:53:43 »
I wonder if anyone here can help me.  Today I was the lucky recipient of a Russell Hobbs 'JuiceLady' juicer via Freecycle.  It has no model number and no instructions and an attempt at using Google has drawn a blank (although I'll admit I'm not that competent at it).  The thing is I've never owned a juicer before and don't have a clue how to use it.  It appears to have two speeds and is chrome coloured with black trim.  Does anyone out their own a similar model or know how I can get my hands on the instruction booklet?  I'd be happy to pay postage/photocopying charges within reason.  Many thanks.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
Re: Juicer instructions needed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:10 »
Does it look a bit like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-Juicelady-Commercial-Extractor/dp/B00008WFD0

If it does then it's very similar build to the one I have gathering dust under the sink. Stick a jug or bowl under the spout at the front, bung the fruit in the top, shove it down with the plastic plunger thing. Juice comes out the front, pith & stuff into the container at the back. Mine comes apart really easily, the sections just lift off. Lower speed is fine for softer stuff, use the higher setting for things like apples. Easier to put the fruit in & get the plunger on top before you switch it on otherwise it bounces around a bit! Oh & take it apart & wash it straight away or it's a devil to get all the much off the sieve section.

Depending on how wide the chute at the top is depends on whether you need to cut stuff down before you shove it in. Mine's big enough to take small apples whole, but you can cut it in half or quarters first if yours isn't as wide.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 21:20:04 »
Hello Mrs Gumboot

Yes, it does look a bit like that and thank you for taking the trouble to post instructions - it sounds pretty straightforward.  :)  I'm curious why yours is gathering dust - more bother that it's worth?

All I need now is some suggestions for a good recipe book and I'll give it a go.

Thanks again

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:04:21 »
I got a cheap one a few years ago to try out & used it a bit but was annoyed at how much time I had to spend chopping fruit. Got this one a couple of years ago in the Jan sales and have used it quite a bit in the past. Tend to go down to the local market and buy a job lot of fruit since it's too expensive to get it all from Asda but haven't had much time lately. Have a four month old so still trying to find a routine that actually allows me into the kitchen for more than five minutes at a time  ::)

It will come back out in the future never fear. I do like nice fresh juice. Try orange & carrot. Sounds a bit odd, but it's dead tasty.

Oh, one other tip, you can quite often find it comes out a bit frothy so you can stick a muslin or coffee filter into the jug and strain it through that. Depends whether it bothers you or not.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:16:22 »
There are some good recipes here - http://healthrecipes.com/juicer_recipes.htm and here - http://juicerrecipesnow.com/ and here - http://www.harvestessentials.com/juicsaucsoup.html

Have fun.  Must get my machine out again for a spring clean - me and it.
Obxx - Vendée France

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:28:39 »
We've had juicers for a few years now,we go through phases of juicing every day or not for months.
I follow a few simple rules,always peel oranges but leave a little pith,add a small piece of root ginger and or lemon to zing things up.
Blend peaches/strawberries,raspberries etc separately with a stick blender in the jug first and add the juice on top so you get the whole fruit(you can blend a banana the same way and it's a great way to sweeten your juices)
I love carrot apple and ginger but the OH isn't keen on the veg thing :(
Drink straight away I use a straw and stir as I slurp  :)
And use a brush to clean the sieve thing,I usually wash the juicer as I drink it's a bit of a chore but worth it I think
sanity is overated

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:59 »
Here are my instructions.

Dust off juicer from back of cupboard, remove post it note that says 'For Freecycle'
Find all the bits.
Chop up all the fruit  so its small enough to fit in.
Mop up all the juice that has drained all over worktop.

Start to juice.
Realise I havent placed receptacle under the spout.
Mop up juice that has drained all over worktop.

Spend 5 minutes with ear shattering noise juicing.
Look at the glass of juice against the Chernobyl style devastation of juicer and environs, take apart juicer as I start to clean up, graze knuckles on the sharp grater juicer bits.

Replace 'For Freecycle' post it note onto juicer and place back in cupboard for another 6 months.

(And dont get me started on yoghurt makers, ice cream makers, panini grills et al)

;D
Best laid plans and all that

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 13:25:11 »
 ;D ;D ;D - Raisedtobed!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 13:31:11 »
 ;D ;D ;D to raisedbed more than one truth there !
sanity is overated

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 17:19:18 »
Thanks everyone for the helpful stuff and Ted for the laugh.  Some good tips there and I'll let you know how I get on.

Just one question.  Why do you peel oranges MacMac?

G x

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 17:39:33 »
I've watched folk juicing in tv and they always say to peel citrus but leave the pith which contains lots of good stuff.I've just checked my Jason Vale book and he says the same .I think citrus peel may be bitter.
To be honest oranges are one thing I don't particularly like juiced I find them very acidic and much prefer apples and pineapple is lovely if a little extravagant 'though you can juice the hard woody core.
sanity is overated

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 20:47:05 »
I've watched folk juicing in tv and they always say to peel citrus but leave the pith which contains lots of good stuff.I've just checked my Jason Vale book and he says the same .I think citrus peel may be bitter.
To be honest oranges are one thing I don't particularly like juiced I find them very acidic and much prefer apples and pineapple is lovely if a little extravagant 'though you can juice the hard woody core.

Hmm okay, but when you get fresh juice from juice bars etc they always throw whole oranges in?   ???

I've got a more basic question now I've tried to assemble the ruddy thing.  It has two clamps on either side and I cannot for the life of me get them both to engage at the same time and with one engaged it's impossible to get the other one to work.  Any ideas?

G x

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 20:56:25 »
http://www.juicingbook.com/fruits/orange
had a little nosey on google and this ref says the rind is indegistable.
sanity is overated

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal