Author Topic: replanting onions for seed  (Read 1126 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
replanting onions for seed
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:11:34 »
I have saved seed from onions in the past by leaving them in the ground, but last year I lifted my rare ones and kept them safe inside.

Problem is, I am not sure when to replant them.

Could someone advise me please.

I did it a few years ago but it was more by luck than judgement and I want to get it right.

Also could I plant them in pots rather than open ground and if so what size.

I have a couple with nice green growth on them but the bulb part is all shrivelled and almost gone,should I just chuck them or will they grow.

Sorry for so many questions but hoping you onion experts out there can sort me out.

XX Jeann8inI
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: replanting onions for seed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:52 »
Jeannine..you can pot your onions up for seed saving..but..larger the pot the better, as providing enough water later on will become issue. As for pot size, well I would look for having couple of inches of spare room/compost around the
the onion when planted...more don't hurt.
Use soil based compost if possible or make mix with grit to add some weight to their root balls. The flower heads are suprisingly heavy and they do tend to topple over...been there.. ::) Even cane pushed through bottom of the pots into soil would not go a miss and that is another good reason have larger pot.
You could try your luck with shrivelled ones...but I'm afraid those would have used their energy for green growth from the bulb instead taking it from the soil..but who knows, nature does throw suprises every day. Maybe 'emergengy' dip would help..soak the bottom of the bulb (the growth plate) in little water with added well diluted nitrogen feed untill roots start developing. When the roots are still short plant the onions, try not to damage the roots. Hopefully the the 'dip' will have chance to plump up the bulb or at least replace some of used up energy from the bulb.
In UK I would start re-planting onions for seed growing around March..or depending how early they start top growth maybe earlier and in pots and under cover. I would time them same as growing from sets..but how that translate into Canada's climate, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:17:52 by goodlife »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:35 »
A couple of onions I missed when I lifted them last year are sprouting happily, but it could turn cold again yet. I'd probably plant them out now (obviously in the UK, I don't know about Canadian weather), but I'd mulch them well just in case.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 00:22:47 »
Thank you, it is warmer here than in the UK but probably wetter. Most of the bulbs are fine, firm and with no sign of sprouting so I think they will be fine. I might go the pot route as I have some very big pots..about 5 gallon. I could pop them in the greenhouse then outside when the weather is better.

XX jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal