Author Topic: seed potato prices  (Read 8207 times)

botchituk

• Not So New ...
seed potato prices
« on: January 12, 2005, 18:48:24 »
Hi all,
I Purchased my seed potatoes today from my local sell anything and everything shop, Hadn't a clue what variety to get so I ended up with Arran Pilot ( 1st earlies ) Wilja ( 2nd earlies ) & King Edward ( maincrop ) I only bought these varieties cos I recognised the names as ones my Dad grew. I paid £2.99 each for a 3kg bag and thought it wasn't a bad price, I've since looked at some seed mags from the likes of DT Brown & Dobies & also online and I can't believe the difference in prices, as much as £6.45 for a 3kg bag. I wonder what others have paid from their local shops & garden centres, I bet there is a big difference !!
Howay the lads

Painter

• Not So New ...
    • swillingtonallotments.com
Re: seed potato prices
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 19:05:35 »
Hi Botchituk
I was also looking at seed potatoes in a number of catalogues, in the T&M Potato collection prices are on average £3.59 - £3.99 for a 20 tuber pack, I held on and purchased from our local garden centre at £2.99 per 3 kilo (average 40 tubers). In all fairness though my local garden centre does not have to produce fancy full colour brochures or mail them to thousands of people
A little better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 20:42:50 »
I saw some Arran Pilot First Early, Maris Peer Second Early and Desiree Main Crop at our local GC.
Could some one explain the First / Second Early and Main Crop bit please, as the growing instructions on the back of each is identical and is it essential to dig in well rotted manure beforehand or would chicken poo do as I have a good supply of that? The instructions recommended bonemeal?

These were 2.5 kg bags with average 55 tubers per bag @ £2.99

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 20:56:28 »
I bought some seed potato today from my garden centre:

Charlotte - 2kg (about 35 tubers) - £3.99
Kestrel - 2.5kg (about 20 tubers) - £3.99

I got 20% off that price by joining the garden centre club.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 22:52:13 »
I bought mine from the local GC at what appears to be a good price.

1st earlies were Maris Bard & Rocket
2nd earlies are Charlotte

Both were a complete guess variety wise but were all £0.85/kg from a small garden centre with very low overheads. Also bought a kg of shallots 50 onion sets and some garlic to set this weekend  :)

Roll on the spring!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 22:55:15 »
Manure is reckoned to be best but any balanced fertiliser is good including bonemeal or dried chicken manure.
I've always expected somewhere around 40 tubers per 3kg, but my expensive Sarpos arrived with 60 tubers, so maybe more expensive suppliers pick smaller so you get better value??

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 08:37:39 »
Roy first/second early/maincrop refers to how long the potatoes take to grow to be edible. According to some scribblings in my notebook that came from some website or other, Rocket/swift take 9-10 weeks to produce edible size tubers, first earlies 12 weeks, 2nd earlies 14 weeks and maincrop 16 weeks. There is something with maincrops too about them being daylight sensitive I think - they won't bulk up until the days start to shorten or something like that, someone will come along with the full info on that I hope.

TomJ, I would say that you guessed well with varieties - Charlotte are great, a nice waxy salad potato, and Rocket produce new potato type tubers very early. I'm planning on getting some of mine in the ground in Feb under fleece to get some early spuds.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 09:27:29 »
Hi Botchituk  :)
                    Love to know the thinking behind your name ;D
  There is a vast difference on the prices of the seed potatoes thats for sure, The best price I have found is at B&Q, they have a good choice of first & second earlies, salad & main crop for £2.98p for a 2.8kg bag. All the varieties are named and all are well known . Mine are chitting away right now ;D
                                     Adrian.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 10:14:45 »
The prices difference reflect, as has been noted, the overheads of the seller, and what they think they can get away with. The biggest expense for mail order is the postage.

Roy, the main differences between the types is how quickly they reach eatable size, the yield and their storage characteristics.

First earlies take least time, second earlies next and maincrop most. Moggle gave some timings.

First earlies do not store - eat as quickly as possible after digging up - that's one of the reasons why home grown taste better than shop bought - they're much fresher. You don't get many but they taste good. If left in the ground after they are ready to eat, most will continue to bulk up to give yields equal to second early or maincrop varieties but most loose their flavour (Red Duke of York and Accent being exceptions) - Varieties like Rocket (very early) have little flavour (IMO), but loose what little they have within a couple of weeks of being "ready".

Second earlies take longer to grow than first earlies and produce a larger crop but do not keep well - if you try to keep them, you'll find that most varieties start sprouting before Christmas.

Maincrop (which can be split into early and late - which indicates how soon they will be ready for harvest) give the highest yields and, if properly handled, will keep until the next year's first earlies are ready.

On balanced fertiliser, potatoes are gross feeders and require a good, nutrient-rich soil so plenty of FYM or compost is a very good start. Being roots they benefit from potash (the K in NPK). Bonemeal doesn't contain potash, chicken manures contain whatever the manufacturer puts in them but most major in N (which will give lots of top growth). The most balanced natural fertiliser is fish, blood and bonemeal (~5%N:5%P:6%K)

Phil

PS Try a Potato Day for real choice - prices around 9 tubers for a pound and advice aplenty - or have I said that before http://www.hhdra.org.uk/potatoday.htm

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 21:24:39 »
The online ones tend to be expensive because they have to cover the relatively high cost of shipping heavy seed spuds :o.  What you get for the extra price is much more variety and the chance to buy organically grown seed potatoes, which are hard to find elsewhere. I have to confess I coughed up 6.95 for 20 tubers of a Hungarian blight resistant variety *gulp*
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 09:02:30 »
i am waiting with baited breath to see what the new blight resistant hungarian spuds are like, taste especially. Our site was blight free for the past two years but I have heard tales of woe from longstanding plot-owners. For myself, I think Edwin Tucker is good value with a great variety and a fair amount of info to help choose. I cannot remember what I sent for apart from Kestrel (which are just fab) and Anya but 12 Kgs came to just over £22.00- not that my potato beds are ready yet!
cheers suzy

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 19:54:57 »
I should have asked you guys before I did my ordering!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 10:12:40 »
Shug,

I hate to tell you this but they are now £3.99 for 20 from T&M  :'(

Phil

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 20:09:22 »
 >:( don't think I'll be using the same supplier for spuds next year.

Speaking of which, does anyone save their taties from year to year as seed?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 09:08:26 »
Shug,

I only keep the ones that I can't buy.

The danger of picking up virus is too high.

For those that I do keep:

they are lifted as soon as possible
they are watched carefully for signs of disease and at any signs result in the tops being removed and the tubers being lifted 3 weeks later (to allow any disease spores to die

Phil

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:43 »
I always keep a few of every variety I bought. Plant them out the next year in seperate beds though. To avoid problems. Never had problems with blight or so, here on the plots, but we all are very careful with rotation, some use 6 years rotation.
I bought Desiree, Wilja, Maris Peer and my favorite Pentland Squire at Tuckers in Devon and the rest in the Netherlands: Mona Lisa, a yellow one, high resistance to virus diseases; Symfonia, red, from origin Dutch, licensed in Canada in 1997; and Berber,a yellow one. 25 tubers, size 30 mm,  for     E 4,50 ==2,60 Eng pounds. Good price, I think.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 18:01:21 »
Our allotment association has just received its delivery of seed potatoes. All 3kg bags £2.30. For example Pentland javlin, Foremost, Arran Pilot, Kestral,Romano, Desiree, King Edward, Maris Piper.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 09:28:45 »
Allotment trading huts are usually the cheapest place to buy most items.

They tend to be run by a dedicated few and without them allotments would be a lot poorer (financially and metaphorically)

Support your local trading hut!!! - but buy a few of some new varieties just to try at a Potato Day - then get your hut to stock the one(s) you like
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:33:30 by philcooper »

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 18:32:22 »
One thing to possibly be aware of. We got our bulk order yesterday and whilst sorting it into 3kg packs I realised that some varieties like Cara were almost supermarket size. The 3kg packs we bought were far smaller and therefore, despite the higher price, better value. I won't be ordering Cara in 25kg sacks again.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 18:23:03 »
Last year, went to Potato day at Ryton - paid 13p a seed tuber (25p for the new blight resistant Sarpo varieties).
Intend to go this coming Saturday.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal