Author Topic: Is this normal cat behaviour?  (Read 7447 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Is this normal cat behaviour?
« on: February 01, 2011, 13:57:47 »
I've written about the tortie cat Psycho before and how her behaviour seems a bit over the top.  Well, I have to admit that I am becoming quite scared of her.

As soon as she knows I am at the pavilion in the mornings she comes over and if you didn't know her you would think she was a pet cat happy to see her owner. 

The problem is that she keeps trying to scratch me, and this morning she crouched down and hissed at me as well as trying to scratch.  I never make any attempt to stroke her (I don't have a death-wish) and try to not look at her directly but she is obsessed with me.

She follows me wherever I go on my plot and comes about a foot away from me, rubbing herself on everything she can.  She looks so friendly and affectionate but I know what she is really like.

Does anyone have any advice?  Would neutering calm her down?   Her behaviour seems to have got worse over the past couple of weeks, could it be hormones?

I'm not frightened of dogs because I understand them, but cats are a mystery to me.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Is this normal cat behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 14:17:23 »
I'm no expert but I think I would look at her directly. Stare at her until she looks away. And yes get her neutered.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 14:27:15 »
I agree - stare at her and she will probably look away - I do this with Caesar if he is being difficult and it always works.  Neutering will probably help too - perhaps your neutering programme should start with her!
War on slugs and snails!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 15:56:57 »
If you keep looking away from her she will think she is top cat and you are subservient in teh feline pecking order.  Stare away and, if you can catch her, get her neutered as this will calm her down, save a lot of potential injuries during mating and also prevent more unwanted kittens from being born.
Obxx - Vendée France

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 16:12:01 »
 I'd take a spray bottle of water with me and if she comes too close I'd give her a squirt. This works with my cats, and the kids if they are being naughty! They soon get the message.
                                                               Twoflower

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 16:57:18 »
Has she had a litter you dont know about, or is she looking for treats, she is certainly marking  out her territory. You have to be carefull of her you  dont want her to attack she will go cats for your legs first. I be walking around with a long handle brush just to keep her at bay
m j gravell

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 17:44:30 »
Stare her down and keep a full water pistol handy. Good luck.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 18:26:22 »
Sounds like my neighbours cat when I was a kid. She used to roll around on the hedge purring and looking affectionate, but would go for you if you touched her. Once she leapt on my Mum's back while she was weeding and attacked her head - looking back I think she may have been attracted by Mum's ponytail! Are you wearing anything tassley that she might be going for?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 19:01:54 »
Don't mention tassles. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:47 »
Thanks for the replies everyone  :)

I will try staring at her - I hope she won't be able to see the fear in my eyes!  Will also try a water spray.  This morning I tried to keep her away from me with an 8ft. bamboo cane and she went for it!

I'm not sure if she's had kittens recently.  We rarely see kittens until they are old enough to go around the site on their own.  Hopefully we will be able to trap her soon and get her off to the vet to be neutered. 

As for the tassles - I'd better not mention what went through my mind when I read that  ;) , but the answer is No!   ;D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:32 »
Squash I'd do the same if someone was poking a cane in my direction!
I agree about staring at her, or using a water spray if you have too.
I'm sure that once she's neutered she'll calm down.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:43:27 »
Squash I'd do the same if someone was poking a cane in my direction!
I agree about staring at her, or using a water spray if you have too.
I'm sure that once she's neutered she'll calm down.

Yes, so would I Flighty but I wasn't poking her, just using it as a barrier between us!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:50:02 »
Sorry I should have said pointing rather than poking!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04:18 »
Sorry I should have said pointing rather than poking!  :)

It's alright, I knew you wouldn't think I'd been poking her.  :) 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:49 »
I blame the parents.  ;D ;D  He/she could just be a nasty cat, could be trying to protect itself, as has been living wild, maybe is warning you that she has kittens somewhere.  I suppose the best people to ask would be Cats Protection.  A domestic cat you can train as a kitten not to bite or scratch by tapping them on the nose when they get overexcited, but I don't really know about this one.  The water spray does work and I have a water pistol, don't even have to spray it now as when I pick it up Dulce shoots out through the cat flap, and goes home (or that is the general idea but he usually just sits on the wall and waits until I go shopping and comes back in).  I suppose what I am trying to say is that you are dealing with a wild cat and not a domestic one.  Best of luck.  How's my favourite (ET)?

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:03:37 »
I blame the parents.  ;D ;D  He/she could just be a nasty cat, could be trying to protect itself, as has been living wild, maybe is warning you that she has kittens somewhere.  I suppose the best people to ask would be Cats Protection.  A domestic cat you can train as a kitten not to bite or scratch by tapping them on the nose when they get overexcited, but I don't really know about this one.  The water spray does work and I have a water pistol, don't even have to spray it now as when I pick it up Dulce shoots out through the cat flap, and goes home (or that is the general idea but he usually just sits on the wall and waits until I go shopping and comes back in).  I suppose what I am trying to say is that you are dealing with a wild cat and not a domestic one.  Best of luck.  How's my favourite (ET)?

Here's E.T. for you, taken a couple of days ago
[attachment=1]

E.T. is a lot like Janet, the tabby kitten.  She will sit and watch me and I can go fairly close but if it's too close she backs away. 

To anyone who didn't know Psycho she would seem to be a really friendly cat.  One of the Cats Protection volunteers visits us quite often and she thinks that being neutered might calm Psycho down.  I am going to try to trap her first, next week hopefully.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 07:12:18 »
I think she is making the first overtures of affection but doesn't quite know wha to do. i would not pet her but always have a treat nearby, is sounds ti me she is coming round xx jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 07:40:57 »
Agree with Jeannine, its worth persisting and she may well become friendlier as she gets older. You could try getting her to play with a ball of string (rather than your hand!), she looks young and is probably very playful.

I think its wonderful that you are looking after these cats, they all look really well fed and happy.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 08:02:43 »
I think its wonderful that you are looking after these cats, they all look really well fed and happy(quote by Lewic)

I second that
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:33 »
I'll third that  ;D

Alison

anything