Author Topic: Newbury Town Council Rent Protest  (Read 6734 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Newbury Town Council Rent Protest
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:21 »
I have been in dispute with Newbury Town Council for the last eighteen months over the enforceability of their allotment rent increase.  Consumer protection legislation makes it unlawful for the Council to increase the rent without notice.  The Council's position was that if a tenant pays then that makes it all right, but I felt strongly that the Council had a moral duty to operate within the legislation and was left with no option but to withhold payment of last year's increase and risk eviction.

The Council served notice and set a deadline for eviction of 17 May, and then extended the deadline to 13 December.  It would now appear that the Council were bluffing as I set them a final deadline for the end of January to follow through with their threatened court action, yet still they prevaricate.

For me then the issue is resolved as there is no remaining doubt that the rent increase is indeed unenforceable so my rent stays the same.  However, I made a stand against the Council in the interests of my fellow allotmenteers too because rents have almost tripled over the last 10 years and none of those year-on-year increases have been lawful.  Not only is the Council obliged to reset rents to the rate at the start of our tenancies, but many tenants will have overpaid enough to give them their plot rent-free for the next five years.

This debacle wasn't just the usual Town Council ineptitude and heads must roll.  There has been a deliberate and concerted attempt to evade the consumer protection legislation.  I was threatened by the Council with the consequences of raising the issue, and since I have done so the Council have waged a campaign to smear, intimidate, and marginalise me.  They have made spurious complaints against me for a number of imagined infractions of their site rules such as flying my flag too high, brushing my dogs on my plot and singing too loud at the summer social.  I have already been served with an eviction notice because they say my allotment path is not the regulation width, and I have no doubt that this harassment will now be stepped up.  To be honest I could do with a little support now.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Newbury Town Council Rent Protest
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:45 »
Stick with it...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:51:22 »
I assume everybody's paths are regulation width.. ::) Does your allotment rules state the level of the singing noice ::) You do sound like cheery chap..singing and all ;D I wish some of our member would find they vocal cords for other than windging :-X
Anyway..I've been following your progress with great interest and I'm impressed with the battle you've done so far..don't let them get you..
Can you take their actions further as an harrasment issue? Has anybody else on allotments been 'picked on' like you?...how about sending emails to some of the tv-programs where they shame 'rogue traders' etc ;) ;D
It would be interesting to see if they would take on your council.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 13:15:39 »
Good luck Unwashed.
You put so much time and effort into helping others on here and all I can do is hope that your council see sense. Unfortuantly I have little else but good wishes to offer.
I seem to remember that you also am trying to get self management for your sites, the figures you quote for the "cost" of the council running the sites them selves makes it seem so obvious a choice for the council to make.
Anne

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 13:16:56 »
For what it's worth, you have my support Simon.

Apart from an on-line petition I can't think of anything practical we could do but if there is anything, please let me know.

Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 13:40:15 »
Overcast Tuesdays can do that to a person's spirit and you have had a lot of nonsense to deal with.  For what it worth, I think the council's narkiness is a sure sign that they know you have got them - so keep pushing.

A lot of my posts here contain the line about 'allotments are a hobby and we are supposed to enjoy it' and so this is your decision moment - do you decide that you have made your point and retreat satisfied or do you continue to make a stand for fellow plotholders (who don't appear to be that supportive)?

At the risk of mind-reading, I suspect that you may carry on "vexacious - moi" ;)  So why not call their bluff and take them to court; this is starting to sound as if this is along the same lines as credit card interest and bank charges?  I think Goodlife's idea of talking to Watchdog is a fab one.

Whatever you choose - you have my virtual support. :-*

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 14:21:45 »
Good luck Unwashed. I'm in it up to my neck myself mate, with the only councillor on our committee assuming control and trying to junk the whole project.... :-X

What kind of support do you need? I don't travel too well, but if a bit of letter-writing will help then by all means. Other than that, if there's anything you can think of, fire away.
I'm a fan.;~)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 14:30:28 »
Come on Simon
Come on Simon
You know the support you have on here so keep at it, it's harassment that they're giving you, are the papers keeping up with the storey, is your MP  doing anything, keep the White flag flying high.  ;)       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 15:12:29 »
Very best of luck! Have you thought about going to the Ombudsman!

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 15:18:19 »
Keep strong unwashed, you know what is right and wrong, do not let them bully you into submission

:)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 15:40:24 »
Bah! stop whining like a little girl.

Man up and unleash hell.

You know you want to.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 16:49:48 »
Every day I read how you help a lot of  your fellow allotmment holders  Dont make yourself ill over it, but i wish you all the luck in the world, and dont let the Bxxtards grind you down
m j gravell

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 19:23:37 »
Just a quick note have to play bridge in a minute.

Path width who is on the other side of the path and have they had an eviction notice?

How about tramping the streets and reporting all the safety issues on pavements and roads that the council should put right?

How about looking at all the council notices and raising an objection to what ever they do?

How about reporting the council for every wrong light wrong timing and damage.

They are doing petty and so could you!

Go for it you ahve them on the run.

Ask the sods how to get on the council and start canvassing now.

best of luck

Bill

ConfusedRhubarb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 20:16:40 »
Unwashed,

I pardon thee and proclaim thee Lord Unwased of Newbury.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 20:32:24 »
Unwashed,

I pardon thee and proclaim thee Lord Unwased of Newbury.
Ooo, I like that.  Even with the typo.  :D
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 20:59:15 »
Yes Watchdog is a fab idea..the council would hate that  :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 22:28:23 »
I'll think about Watchdog, that sounds like a good idea.  It's a struggle telling any of the town's other allotmenteers because they're not about on site yet and the Council have banned me from posting notices on my site's society notice board and I doubt the other site associations will want anything to do with it because it'll upset the council.  The Council are dithering because they want the bills to have gone out and got paid before they fess-up about the increase being unlawful.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 23:57:53 »
let me know what support we can give and ill gladly too so,besides our support on here.my sister lives in newbury so will gladly coincide a visit to her with anything i can help with in person
in the meantime can us girls be unwasheds cheerleaders...go unwashed go go go!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:42 »
Don't be sexist Elvis, I can see myself in a cheerleader outfit.   :P      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 05:31:08 »
Don't be sexist Elvis, I can see myself in a cheerleader outfit.   :P      ;D ;D ;D

Photo please Kev.
 :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal