Author Topic: allotment rats  (Read 2704 times)

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
allotment rats
« on: January 13, 2011, 19:01:35 »
i seem to have more rats then i do hens and ducks
iv got taps and bait down i have my hen house build up on legs and the duck house,my hens have to jump up to get into their house.but cant do that for the ducks,,i put food away at night but still lots of rats,,

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: allotment rats
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 19:03:16 »
I have poison down all the time. What sort of traps are you using? I've used the normal baited type in the past, and caught nothing, but fen traps might be better.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 19:26:35 »
i use the old kind that look like mouse taps ans some i got off ebay that look like crocodile head and some bait blocks..

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 19:39:53 »

If you have bait and traps down and you are still bothered by rats then they must still be getting at a food source namely what you feed to your Hens and Ducks, can the rats get in to your hen house to get at any feed and do you keep your feed in metal bins with a good secure lid to make it rat proof, if you feed liberally by throwing food about outside this could be why the rats do not bother with the bait, if you do feed in this way make sure that all is cleared up by your poultry and ducks before you leave, if you still have problems have a go at smoking them out by using the gases from a chainsaw or some small petrol engine by attaching a tube to fit down the rat holes, actually this is good fun watching them bolt and trying to crack them when they bolt, :)

colt

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 19:45:52 »
Where abouts in the uk are you? One way to help knock them back is get someone in with an air rifle. If you not far from me i will offer to come and shoot.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 20:19:12 »
am in ashington northumberland..

iv got taps and bait down i have my hen house build up on legs and the duck house,my hens have to jump up to get into their house.but cant do that for the ducks,,i put food away at night but still lots of rats,,,hens are feed in feeders hinging up in the house and the duck hace a washing up bole which i put a way at night

colt

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 22:57:18 »
You are to far away for me to come shooting sorry. I would just ask around for someone to come and shoot them but make sure they are insured

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal