Author Topic: Does rat poison kill cats?  (Read 16392 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Does rat poison kill cats?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 20:46:43 »
Yes rat poison does kill cats rats dogs and humans too if taken in sufficient quantities

It is detectable from post mortem tests so be careful if you are planning a murder

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 15:19:33 »
'She was eating the dead rats from the basement, M'Lud. I tried, but she was addicted to fried rat, and I couldn't stop her'.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 14:09:46 »
We lost our beautiful Tilly in November, we back on to the allotments, so she was always over there hunting. We had two dead rats on the back lawn over three days, and then the next day she didn't come home, and was found dead in one of the allotments. No apparent injuries, so we can only think it was a poisoned rat. We blame no one, we have an allotment, we know rats are a problem and cats will be cats.  :'(
Joolieeee

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 18:16:02 »
We lost our beautiful Tilly in November, we back on to the allotments, so she was always over there hunting. We had two dead rats on the back lawn over three days, and then the next day she didn't come home, and was found dead in one of the allotments. No apparent injuries, so we can only think it was a poisoned rat. We blame no one, we have an allotment, we know rats are a problem and cats will be cats.  :'(

That is such a shame.  I worry that something like that will happen to our feral cats at the allotment.  I've asked people not to use poison but it's up to them in the end, unfortunately.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 18:25:09 »
I am going to sound stupid now but are you allowed to use poisons now for rats. There was a young man on the forum about the fish that are caught and thrown back i will look up his name and ask him but any animal will have a terrible death please dont use it there must be something on the market to use, and please i am not condeming you rats nobody wants them lets hope some one will come with a plan for you .  Rugbypost
m j gravell

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 19:45:33 »
You are allowed to use poison. Trouble is, there are very few methods available for controlling them, and numbers have to be kept down somehow.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 22:04:55 »
My sister's dog found some 'scraps' baited with rat poison. Nice neighbour eh?

It was a horrid death - most distressing for all concerned (vet included).

My brother in law will not use poison and has spent god knows how much on some gizmo that kills  mice by giving out electric shocks.  At least it's quick, and no possibility of any innocent creature being accidentally poisoned.

Alison

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 10:09:16 »
Pet owners always seem to assume first that some malicious human has hurt their innocent pet.  Although it's clear these things happen, cats particularly can get into trouble all by themselves.  I found a cat's tail on my plot, just the tail.  My neighbours tell me that the site foxes pick off a few, especially young cats.  My neighbours cat climbed in to my car through the sun roof on a very hot day and couldn't get out.  Another one spent four days in the garage when I had the flu in February.  Both emerged fine but you can see how it happens.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:03 »

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'( so sorry to hear this Joolieeeee,hope you are getting over your loss x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal