Author Topic: would i be allowed to  (Read 3137 times)

maxime316

would i be allowed to
« on: January 10, 2011, 13:46:31 »
put furniture in my allotment, like patio furniture, to create a space to sort of spend time in?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: would i be allowed to
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 13:48:31 »
It depends on your association but basically a few slabs and a couple of chairs and a plastic table will be tolerated  but most groups...  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 13:53:21 »
Doesn't everybody have chairs and tables etc on their allotment? I certainly do, and so do many others.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 13:55:18 »
some associations have a 20% rule. ie if 20% of the area is being cultivated that's ok. I've heard this applied both to uses like you suggest and also to people who don't look after allotment well.
Ask your secretary, it makes them feel wanted!  ;)

maxime316

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 17:01:16 »
yes good idea on the secretary front!
i was only thinking of a little thing like this

except i saw that you can get stackable chairs online too: http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Garden-DIY,Garden-furniture,Stackable-garden-chair that look alot more comfy that those iron things and also neater and easier to put away if there are any issues... again secretary on side!!
thanks for the help, il see what i can do
ps. have you ever seen a park bench in an allotment, id love one but i cant seem to find where to buy one online... and realistically theyre probably alot more than these stackable ones

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 17:32:35 »
I have an arbour with a seat made from a cut down pew on mine...  :)
Ideal for a beer as the sun goes down... first of the season yesterday but it was only 3:40pm...  ::)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 17:48:11 »
some associations have a 20% rule. ie if 20% of the area is being cultivated that's ok.

20% sounds low, or do you mean 20% NOT cultivated? ;)
I have folding chairs so that i can out them away in my shed.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 18:59:55 »
That looks far to nice for an allotment. Will they be safe? Can people get in & steel them?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 19:26:51 »
ps. have you ever seen a park bench in an allotment, id love one but i cant seem to find where to buy one online... and realistically theyre probably alot more than these stackable ones
Yes, I have a park bench.  You get them from parks. :o  Seriously though, mine is an ex-canal tow-path bench who's legs rotted and it got thrown into the canal so I pulled it out and took it home for the allotment.

Is your allotment in Englane Maxime?  I can't image what legitimate reason a landlord would have for objecting to some furniture as such things are traditional in allotment plots, so by all means get the site secretary to give it the seal of approval, and if they come over all officious just do it anyway.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 19:55:53 »

Can't see a problem with a couple of chairs to park your bum and a table to put a couple of cans on, :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 19:59:35 »
some associations have a 20% rule. ie if 20% of the area is being cultivated that's ok.

20% sounds low, or do you mean 20% NOT cultivated? ;)
I have folding chairs so that i can out them away in my shed.

Oh dear that was before I went to the pub-yes it should be the other way round! :-[ :-[ :-[

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 20:16:40 »
We have a 'park' bench and a table which i think came from a fast food restaurant (not stolen I must add ;D, thrown out due to a refurb' I think)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 20:59:20 »
I have a pergola, bench and table on mine!

maxime316

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 17:04:54 »
great news, yes its in england but for some reason no one seems to have any furtniture in theirs so i wasnt sure if it was allowed, will get onti it this weekend, cheers guys

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 19:52:37 »
You are perfectly entitled to have a sit down and some refreshment when gardening. ;D
DaiT

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 22:25:17 »
I use the collapsible canvas and metal chairs you see all over the place for a fiver or so.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 11:04:42 »
I have an old plastic table and four chairs which we use to have picnics in the summer.  I also have a really cheap parasol to put in the table when it's too hot and i need some shade.

Be careful though that you don't put anything too good at your plot incase it gets pinched or burned as things often do at our allotment
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal