Author Topic: Life in a Cottage Garden  (Read 14033 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Life in a Cottage Garden
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 16:36:32 »
Yes   :D   It was just enchanting and everything that I want in a gardening programme .   Is there going to be a book too ?   Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 21:16:11 »
I think the book came before the programme. Amazon have it.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 05:25:52 »
...and again another delightful show .  What an amazing " Owl nesting box " I hope we get to see the Barn Owls move in . 
Trespassers will be composted !

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 08:45:38 »
Really enjoyed the second programme but it went so quickly. Carol grew some cerinthe from seed, one of my favourite plants but never seem to be able to get them to germinate.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 10:36:40 »
Code: [Select]
.....what breed of dogs were they?I suspect from what I saw...Irish Terrier..though they/it was pup so cannot be definate....I've got Irish terrier cross ;D
65,,wow...she is really young really..and looks like she keeps going like steam train..non stop.
Yes..10 points from me...good program.. ;D...and about time too BBC >:(

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 11:15:02 »
I'm enjoying this series more with each programme I watch.  Carol is like most of us and really loves the bit of land we tend,  whether it be flowers or veggies.  She is enthusiastic and knowledgable and a joy to watch.  I love watching her, she is just like me around the garden.........manky old clothes and filthy hands and nails.   :-[  She does what it says on the packet......she is a gardener. 
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 12:17:15 »
Really enjoyed the second programme but it went so quickly. Carol grew some cerinthe from seed, one of my favourite plants but never seem to be able to get them to germinate.

Trying too hard. We bought one plant and it has self seeded each year. It appears in all sorts of random places in our garden.

Try chucking some seed down now in a corner and they should germinate in their own good time.

I love it because the bees love it and it is one of the last flowers to give up the ghost in the winter. That and the Dyer's Chammomile.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 13:16:15 »
Have always enjoyed Carol but this programme seems to have it just about right...........

I want that cottage in Devon..........

And that Garden........................ ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 15:23:48 »
....and all those terracotta pots packed with tulips!

i was thinking, it's the first gardening programme since Geoff Hamilton where I actually believe she's doing it all herself, apart from a little help from hubby or others, and then they are shown doing it! :D

Bubbly Berry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 18:42:23 »
Always really enjoy Carol - down to earth approach to gardening.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 19:25:06 »
oooooooo Yes Caroline I really covet those terracotta pots.  I wonder how much damage has been done to them by this years weeks of snow ice and frost?
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 12:56:16 »
Carol's garden and those pots have suffered a bit this winter.  If you look at the Carol Klein thread on the Beeb you'll see she mentions this and other stuff in a blog she's written for the gardening bit of the Beeb website.  The dogs are Lakeland terriers.
Obxx - Vendée France

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 19:44:36 »
I agree it has been lovely so far , real gardening and a real gardener. wonderful.

granny janny cerinthe take forever to germinate,  weeks, so it might be that you are chucking them out to soon thats what i did the first year i grew them. I find it helps to plant them like sweetcorn seed in that you dib a hole put in seed but dont fill the hole, has the added benift that you can keep an eye on whats happening.

good luck
x sunloving

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 20:34:33 »
Thanks Sunloving. I'll order some more seeds & give it a go ;D.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:05 »
thanks for posting,  ;D I ddn't know about the programme and have just watched the winter and spring episodes. Wonderful. Inspiring. Captivating. (I could go on!!) She really is so enthusiastic, its catching!!

GA - I don't think you will be able to watch it  :'( I've never been able to watch iplayer when abroad. I know the BBC have talked about sorting out a subscription service for overseas viewers, but from what I understand it's all talk and no action. Unless of course your IT expert thinks that the programme you found is ok to use, but I have to say I'm a bit doubtful  :-\ The book to the programme is on sale at the moment (Amazon), a small consolation maybe?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:05 »
Top marks from me,makes you wonder why she didn't get the GW job...her age maybe, the BBC think female presenters are past it at 50.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:09 »
She said at the time that she'd clearly hit the grass ceiling.  However, her subsequent absence from greenacres means she's had time to film those lovely slots on plant families and now this wonderful series.

There's some very interesting comments on the Beeb and some pretty pithy comment about Toby's demise and Monty's return on this blog - http://sea-of-immeasurable-gravy.blogspot.com/  See the latest entry and also the ones from earlier in December - GW RIP etc.
Obxx - Vendée France

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 13:13:36 »
I really admire her vitality & energy, I think it comes with her love of the subject. I wonder how long it took her to recover from her hip replacement ops, very speedy I bet. I wish now I had put that question to her on the BBC board.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 13:48:15 »
I"M SOOOO EXCITED!!   :D :D :D :D  Sooo ECSTATIC I'll stroke out !!   ;D  !!
 I downloaded  (or is it uploaded) ExPat Shield Launch ( from your recommendation-thanks as I'd never heard of it) and was able to watch the first episode of 'In a Cottage Garden" from Google.  When I get time I'll plug the computer into the TV and watch it on a bigger screen. 

It truly was filmed  beautifully and heavenly but down-to-earth. And NO commercials. Wish our television was that way. I've never seen such a wonderful gardening show.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 19:58:38 »
Yaaaaay result GA  8)

Now what are you going to check next on the iplayer............................ ?! (I've just been watching Shaun the Sheep  ::)   :-X )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal