Author Topic: Summer meadow.  (Read 1627 times)

pete JB

• Half Acre
Summer meadow.
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:04:36 »
Hi there.
I am planning on planting a meadow in a small area at home and I`m looking for some advice from anybody who has tried it.
I have bought a long season meadow mix which includes grasses and flowers. I`m pretty much up to speed with the ground prep and sowing, I just want to ask a question about cutting.
On most of the Internet sites I have looked at, it says that you should cut up until around June (about 4" high) and this will stop the grass taking over until the flowers have a chance to establish themselves. I`m just wondering if this applies to a long season mix ? Will this cutting damage my flowering plants ?
Should I cut or just leave it ?
Lots of questions I know but I`m confused  ???. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Pete

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Summer meadow.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 15:13:36 »
if it were me I would leave alone for the first year and let any annuals self seed - it is easy to keep on top but you want to get it established first and let it develop over time

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 18:47:08 »
I agree with Calendula, leave it to establish this year. You will then see what flowers you have and can work out your own cutting time from that.
DaiT

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:24 »
I agree to  and perhaps be on hand with some yellow rattle seed if it is very grassy.

Yellow rattle is a grass parasite and so weakens the grasses so that flowers can take a hold and it has lovely flowers to.
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal