Author Topic: Pine needles  (Read 4583 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Pine needles
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:28:11 »
Are pine needles any good as a mulch?  Or added to the compost bin?  Any good as a slug/snail deterrent?

My son has a carrier bag full of them from his Christmas tree.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

Re: Pine needles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:17 »
Can they be used around blueberries after composting?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:19 »
Will be quite acidic if used in large amounts but that quantity would compost ok...  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:47 »
Will be quite acidic if used in large amounts but that quantity would compost ok...  :)
mix in well, a layer of them will take ages to compost!

better use is to put them on a walkway
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 17:14:05 »
I have used shredded Christmas trees successfully around strawberries as a mulch, they supress the weeds well, and rot down slowly to produce a lovely black acidic soil. I have not found the acidic effect last long, when I replaced my old strawberry bed I followed it with sweetcorn and they did brilliantly.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 19:46:44 »

We had snippet on our local radio 'The Eye' telling everyone that they could take along their Christmas tree to the local recycling centre and it will be turned in to compost, now I'm concerned about this, what percentage of this rubbish will we  be getting in our compost, 

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 22:16:14 »
Pine needles are an excellent weed-suppressant mulch, but be aware that they exude a substance that hinders seed germination (hence the bare ground in pine plantations!)
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 00:29:07 »
I'm going to have probably a builders tonne bag of shredded leylandii soon (as I'm shredding my way through the ones I cut down)... given that I grow almost everything except carrots and parsnips from sowings in modules I think I'll spread it around things I don't want to have to weed too much like the big onions....

chrisc

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:49 »
Thanks for all the replies, I will tell my son.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 20:36:52 »
There's a pine which leaves TONS of needles and cones all over my mum's garden, and it rots down to a beautiful looking dark, fluffy compost, like the sort of compost you'd dream of, if you had such odd dreams. But because we heard it was acidic, we don't use it for anything. Maybe she should test it to see if it loses it acidity by the time it breaks down to compost, it looks like a great soil conditioner.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 22:06:51 »
we use it for mulching blueberries, they like a ph of 4.5 to 5 so, it suits them fine  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 23:34:53 »
There's a pine which leaves TONS of needles and cones all over my mum's garden, and it rots down to a beautiful looking dark, fluffy compost, like the sort of compost you'd dream of, if you had such odd dreams. But because we heard it was acidic, we don't use it for anything. Maybe she should test it to see if it loses it acidity by the time it breaks down to compost, it looks like a great soil conditioner.

note, no growth of weeds in it !!
You couldn't make it up!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:51:00 »
Code: [Select]
Pine needles are an excellent weed-suppressant mulch, but be aware that they exude a substance that hinders seed germination
Thats true and it is not only seed germination that struggles..all plant growth..
but if the needles are allowed to turn brown first and then used as 'acidic' mulch, presence of these chemicals are reduced..it is the fresh green needles and conifer clippings that are most 'harmful'.
I used pine needles in my 'acid mix' compost and as mulch on my blueberry planter.
If you go into forest where there is some pines..you get quite good idea what sort of plants 'thrive' or can take the needles..brambles..wild rapberries..blueberries..granberries..
In my blueberry planter I made last year I had some blubutton mushrooms popping up too...great bonus ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 15:21:16 »
Pigeonseed, try mixing lime into your compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal