Author Topic: What a cheek  (Read 4872 times)

ACE

• Hectare
What a cheek
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:01:48 »
The government are going to ask us everytime we use the ATM if we want to donate to charity. Now, I am not knocking the people who do, but to be badgered when I am about my daily business is a step too far. I am one of those people who think that charity is just helping the governments to shirk their responiblities, this latest idea of theirs is worse than the big issue wasters begging me everytime I go out.  I do give, but in my own way, it won't be this way. I bet some fat cat will be paid a small fortune to oversee these donations.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: What a cheek
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:15:04 »
you got that in a nutshell  :D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:16:34 »
I totally agree.
I also like to choose who I give to and when.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:53 »
I see your point,certain charities should be Government funded in my opinion.The Lifeboats for instance.

We should not need the NSPCC,government run social services should be doing this work.I am sick of seeing their advertisements.If these children are in such plight surely the Government should be paying for the work that is required or am I missing something.

I admire genuine sellers of the Big Issue,they are out in all weathers and as such earning their cash....I don't have a problem with that.

Obviously the Government should not be expected to fund all charities but surely the services of the above and they are just a few should be the concern of the Government.

As for charity advertising if you don't want to donate,buy etc you don't do it.

I hate this so called Government anyway..............load of middle class twits......like characters in The Archers......ooops that will upset a few of me mates    ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:26 »
Yes I tend to agree with you Ace. (....did I say that???  ;D ;D ;D ;))

It irritates me when I go to the supermarket and can't get in or out without getting asked if I want to buy "big issue", I'm not happy about the 10-20 charities a year that ring my doorbell and the latest "charity bag through the door" thing seems to be exploited by quite a few crooks.

I do give to charities and I support causes but I find it intrusive when they come to my home or prevent me getting about my daily business. In fact the charities that do so tend to be scored of my list of ones I will support.

To be asked to contribute every time you use an ATM would be an extreme irritant, indeed I might stop using them and go into the bank instead. Mind you that's something else I try to avoid! Fed up being offered extra accounts, investments and financial reviews every time I put a cheque in the bank!! And, sad person that I am, I find myself gritting my teeth when they end up with "Anything else I can do for you today?"

Phew good to get that off my chest! ;D ;D

Where did you hear about it anyway?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:47 »
It has been on the News Anne  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:30:04 »
Thanks Den! Haven't watched TV for weeks - and I didn't hear it on the radio. Mind you I usually listen to classic fm and they only give some bits of news.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:28:16 »
I agree, rights not charity. Though there's a place for people helping each other out, and charities can be an independent voice for people - you know like for old people or people with disabilities or whatever.
But it's just not a reliable way to run important services in society.

When most people give to charity it's a genuine offer of solidarity to people who need it, and because you'd like people to help you when you need it. But wealthy people giving to poorer people just rubs in how much more some people have, and forces people who need help to go cap in hand. It's probably human nature to look for social advantage and power in any situation, and charity provides an ideal opportunity.

Having said that though - obviously anonymous donation via a cashpoint doesn't allow that kind of personal advantage. But we should maybe make more of how paying taxes is a virtuous thing, and make the connection between what we pay and all the things we do with the money. Make us feel good about paying tax, the way we feel good when we give to charity.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:58 »
I see your point,certain charities should be Government funded in my opinion.The Lifeboats for instance.

Two others that should be government funded IMHO are Air Ambulances and Hospices.

valmarg

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 13:07:05 »

Two others that should be government funded IMHO are Air Ambulances and Hospices.

valmarg

And cancer research.  And other medical research.  I agree about us paying taxes with better grace, knowing where the money goes and knowing that those who evade tax will be gone after with the same vigor as those who claim benefits when they are not entitled.  Now that would be nice! ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 13:10:17 by galina »

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 13:36:59 »
I wouldn't mind being asked whether or not i would like to donate  at the ATM, however High Street charity canvassers really get my blood pressure up >:(

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 14:21:59 »
Ok say I said 'Yes' I wish to donate a pound whilst using the ATM.  My question would be how much of my one pound will actually make it to charity?

What percentage will the banks be retaining as "admin costs", aka fat cats bonus fund!

Can you choose which charity you wish your pound to go to, as I only donate to British charities were the money is used here.

Obviously I will not be using a ATM as a way to donate monies to charity, If I wish to donate I will send them a cheque direct.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 15:09:15 »

valmarg

And cancer research.  And other medical research.  I agree about us paying taxes with better grace, knowing where the money goes and knowing that those who evade tax will be gone after with the same vigor as those who claim benefits when they are not entitled.  Now that would be nice! ;D

And Citizens Advice Bureau.

And water, gas, electricity, and public transport .... oh don'tget me started!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 15:35:03 »
 That would annoy me big time. I support 2 good charities which both should be funded by the government.  The heart foundation, & Arthritis.

The Salvation Army is a must i would always give to them in the street at least we know the money goes to the right people, instead of lining the pockets of the administrators, etc:.
I think most people have a charity they like to donate to, we do not need asking at the ATM, machines.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 17:48:41 »
Is this where a goodly portion of the donations to The Salvation Army goes? One of the reasons why I do not donate to the big charities - too much goes on administration and fat cat salaries!

Tricia

[attachment=1]

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 18:28:50 »
Giving to charity MUST remain a personal thing and nothing to do with this, or any other government. We are all going to be hammered financially from tuesday onwards so the adage " charity begins at home " applies. :)
DaiT

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 21:24:09 »
I do give to charities, but the ones of my choice.  There are some that I wouldn't give so much as a 'brass farthing'.  I really agree with ACE, compulsory is not the road to go down for charitable donations.

OH and I have no children, nearest family are not people we would wish to benefact.  So what we intend is to leave all our money to charity.  The two favourites are RNLI and Staffordshire Air Ambulance.

valmarg

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 21:38:34 »
I am concerned that this may get peoples backs up and they will give less to charity. Also who picks the charities, it will surely just be the bigger ones, so other worthy causes will not get a lookin.
and my decision making processes are a bit slow so imagine the queue building up while I was trying to decide which charity or even whether to give!! Its bad enough having to remember the Pin number! >:(

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 21:59:55 »
I am concerned that this may get peoples backs up and they will give less to charity. Also who picks the charities, it will surely just be the bigger ones, so other worthy causes will not get a lookin.

That is the problem.  Will it be charities you want to give to, or will it be some others.

valmarg

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 23:04:18 »
i think giving to charity must remain a personal choice. I do give but to my choice of charities.

In the past I have donated my time to a charity and vast amounts of my own money too, in things bought but never claimed for.

I think by asking eople to donate when they are getting money out will get peoples backs up I know it will me. I get annoyed when a charitabe donation is added when booking holidays online, especially as its automatically added and you have to untick the box not to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal