Author Topic: Ice Water Butt demolition  (Read 3770 times)

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
Ice Water Butt demolition
« on: December 31, 2010, 22:32:04 »
Anyone else had all their water butts destroyed by the ice ?
I've had all 10 of mine ruined....
50 Gallon solid ice cubes..
Great.
I'm really getting sick of all this global warming.. ???

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ice Water Butt demolition
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 22:49:11 »
I've never seen anything like that; mine froze but the ice just rose up rather than bursting outwards. You may well be right about global warming; they're suggesting that open water in the Arctic Ocean is upsetting the weather across the entire northern hemisphere.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 23:32:24 »
wow no idea why thats happened ideal question for the radio gardeners world?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 00:03:10 »
Ok this is just a guess but if the water froze at the top of the butt first. then as the lower part froze it could not expand upwards so it went sideways. the butts seem to have split where there is an indentation so it might be a sort of weak point.
Just got in from the pub so this might be inspiration of tosh!!! tough though for you
Good night and Happy new year.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:51:40 »
Sorry to see that. As other said it might be that it's frozen top down and that's the issue.

Don't lose heart. Maybe next year just in case, insulate the new ones with a quilt or something ?

I haven't got my guttering up yet so my water resource is dry
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:40:35 »
Just throw a larger piece of old wood into the water before the winter starts and this'll help when the water freezes.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 08:17:49 »
We empty all of ours just in case
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:22:32 »
Blimey Dan, that's pretty bad & realise I've been really lucky! All three of mine froze solid & since they're brand new & I can't really afford to keep buying water butts I was rather worried they'd explode. I guess since mine are linked they weren't quite full to the brim so there was room for expansion. Although then again the one on the end of the chain is slightly too low & overflows so maybe I'm talking nonsense! Going to drain them down or wrap them in bubble wrap if there's any more bad weather forecast as I don't want to take the risk.

Were they old & maybe a bit more brittle? Other than that I guess maybe you were just unlucky  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:26:20 »
I'd have thought they must have been brittle, either through age or because they were a type of plastic which becomes brittle at low temperatures. Normally the ice will expand upwards, and you get a domed top to the mass. It flows under pressure, so unless it's a situation like a water pipe, where there's no room for expansion, there shouldn't normally be a problem.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:15:44 »
it's always worth looking out for the large blue "chemical" barrels. We are lucky in having got a few from when this was an industrial area. They are really strong. I think they are sometimes advertised on the internet.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:15:54 »
More than likely it will be the recycled plastic the butts are made from and looking at the split in the butt it is a weak point in the manufacturing process of the butt, I have two water butts one from Wilkos very soft plastic but still in one pieces after the frost and a fifty gallon industrial one which must be ten mil plastic, :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:01 »
Mine are the industrial blue things. I agree they're almost indestructible; I once had a terrible job sawing the top off one. Soft plastic should be able to absorb the pressure well.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:07 »
Thats a shame about your ruined water butts :(. Global warming does influence the position of the gulf stream which is what determines our winter weather.

My industrial blue ones (old orange juice containers around £6 each) all fell over as the ice bowed the bottoms and they are to heavy to lift back into place so have four butts on the floor with ice inside that each day i try to pick up and fail! so if you get the blue industrial ones tie them up with a loop of hosepipe. :)
 x sunloving

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 13:00:33 »
As said I would empty them before the freeze, or you can go along with the wood in the top idea, drop in a carton of orange juice and have yourself a giant ice lolly.   :-X        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 14:34:41 »
How long have you had them? My reaction to that is that if they're going to burst in a freeze, then they're not fit for purpose, and if it's still possible, you should complain.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 15:02:20 »
I regularly give thanks to whoever sunk my blue butts into the ground (at different depths so that they feed into one another) long before I took over the plot. This must stop them from freezing so hard too, I should think.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 15:19:52 »
i ONLY HAVE ONE BUTT(NO JOKES PLEEEEEEASE!), and it is one of the blue chemical types, I think they are manufactured much stronger, and should be sought out instead of the manufactured butts, which have weak seams.

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 15:57:05 »
I regularly give thanks to whoever sunk my blue butts into the ground

Must still have been very cold! ;)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 22:13:15 »
The ones used to distribute bulk fruit juices are very similar to the blue ones but different colours - very tough and cheaper second-hand than paying retail for the purpose-made ones (that use inferior plastic and then skimp on that to make a profit - not to mention cheaper distribution).

You need to ask around at wholesalers and catering places etc.

They are so thick and tough it's even possible to repair warehouse rejects (slightly cracked ones) with a soldering iron and glue gun.

I get fed up paying absurd retail prices for shabby plastic stuff (like rootrainers) when for the same price I can buy a load of sausages in 3 free trays - trays that are just as complex to mould but are made from better plastic!

NB. people should consider moving water butts into their greenhouses or polytunnels for winter (and refilling them) - it will slow down the freezing but more importantly the temp around them can't fall below 0C until they are heavily frozen... 3 big barrels will protect a 5m tunnel.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 22:45:41 »
That's a good idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal