Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 112680 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2011, 22:04:53 »
A valid point Jeannine and interestingly a similar topic was acknowledged last year. In that growing conditions vary quite a bit even in the UK. I know I'm in a milder area and last summer was wet wet wet here, which was quite different to some other areas. Even in extremes personal experiences of growing etc can still be very useful, more so if rough climate, seasonal weather or area is noted.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2011, 12:39:02 »
Early days but I have some Bath cos lettuce on the go so fingers crossed! Beans and peas doing well .

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2011, 17:44:47 »
Ian, I like the idea to make Googledoc, or Blog or whatever other format, as complete as possible.  Photos are so useful to know what a veg should look like.  Just in case.  Growing instructions too.

I have just rogued a 'wrong one' from the Grandpa Admires patch.  This is exciting, because lettuces just about 'never'  cross in nature.  And I have never seen a lettuce cross and never expected to see one.  But here it was.  The colouring of Grandpa Admires with some characteristics of the 'Austrian Greenleaf' leaf structure.  Both were grown in the same part of the garden last year, with just a path between them.  The F1 is very pretty and will be followed up.  I have transplanted it well away from the Circle patch.  They are not flowering yet, so the Circle seed should be pure and not inadvertently mixed.

I have enough Catawissa Walking Onion top bulbils for the circle (at least 3 each so far) and more are being produced as the season continues.  I do however know that  several  members have these already.  Is there any interest for Catawissa? 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2011, 20:38:29 »
Code: [Select]
Is there any interest for Catawissa?YEEES! ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2011, 20:58:07 »
Galina, I am being a real good girl here and being honest.. I have Red Catawissa on order from Herotage Harvest but they don't ship till the Fall. Si really I don't need them, BUT..if for some reason they have a crop failure may I have an option please XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

earlybirds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:08 »
hi mal in billingshurst would like to join .

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2011, 12:37:08 »
I recently recieved some Golden Sweet seeds from goodlife (thanks for them  :)) and was wondering... what if the seeds that I am offerring to the swap are things that others already have, should I try and add something different for them?

I am probably just complicating it and should offer something else privately if I know that to be the case shouldnt I!?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2011, 18:06:45 »
Do something different if you can. I'm trying Goldensweet this year as well, but there's plenty of other stuff. This is why I haven't committed myself to specific varieties yet!

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:14 »
I would love to Robert but things are not going to plan so far.  My edamame plants have been infested with green fly and the pods are curling. 

The seeds from goodlife are for a second batch for eating and sharing with other plot holders. 

The golden sweet I have already grown  (including stephens pea)  have hundreds of pods which are drying this very moment.  Please don't be angry  :-[  

I Want to add some squash as well so must see if I can bag some females when the time comes, choosing between Spaghetti Squash, Tuffy Sweet, Thelma Sanders and Bon Bon.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:34:36 by Dandytown »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2011, 16:33:19 »
Nobody's going to be angry; whatever pea you grow, I can find another. I haven't even got my squash planted out yet so that could be a disaster.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2011, 14:13:03 »

I Want to add some squash as well so must see if I can bag some females when the time comes, choosing between Spaghetti Squash, Tuffy Sweet, Thelma Sanders and Bon Bon.

This post describes the technique of squash (courgette, cucumber, melon etc) seed saving nicely with photos:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0611545713356.html

I don't use tape because tape ruins the flower petals.  I use gardentwine, others use rubber bands.  There are also good instructions on the Real Seeds website.  Unfortunately there is more to it than just bagging the female flowers.  You need to bag the males as well, because otherwise a bee could have taken away pollen and left some from another squash variety of the same species.  And by the time you take pollen from this unbagged male flower, in order to do the pollinating, you have an unintentional mixture of pollen and the resulting variety will not be pure.  Hope this makes sense.  I don't scribe on the skin of squashes either and mark them instead with a bit of brightly coloured wool or garden twine around the 'handle' of the squash.  Loosely tied to allow of expansion of the stem.  This stays with the handpollinated fruit after harvesting and during the storage time before the seeds are harvested.

Bon Bon is a hybrid variety.  Please don't save seeds from hybrids, they will not breed true.  You can dehybridise a hybrid, but that takes at least 6 years.  

Both Tuffy and Thelma Sanders are outstanding varieties.  It does happen that someone in the circle already has seeds of a variety you offer.  Can't be helped.  In some cases a new 'injection' of seeds from another source can be very beneficial to help broaden the genetic base of seed stocks we hold.  This is a good thing, and allows comparing the two batches, before mixing the old and new seeds, or keeping them separate if appropriate.  

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 14:17:59 by galina »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #291 on: July 02, 2011, 09:02:25 »
I've got ridiculous quantities of seed of three kales; Hungry Gap, Siberian and Red Russian. The last is very similar to Ragged Jack, if not identical; there are a lot of different strains about. I haven't grown any of these out, but I might as well share the seeds around.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2011, 09:42:06 »
I'm still in but like Robert am saving from a fair few so will look at what other people have added and try not to duplicate things...

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2011, 11:34:26 »
i am very envious of you seed sharers would love to join in but have nothing interesting to share but live in hope    in future years

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2011, 11:36:21 »
Brown Thumb - you have to start somewhere. I was saving on my own for a couple of years before joining any circles.

Why not try leaving some peas and/or French beans on the plant at the end of the season; and putting some tomato seeds in a jar of water for 3 days, and then straining out and drying them - and then growing from your own seeds next year?

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2011, 11:48:04 »
i do grow my peas beans  flowers etc from own kept seeds some is 3 to 4 year generations hence but its the receiving of unusual  variety's Ive never grown before that catches my interest

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2011, 13:32:42 »
Save some extra from your own plants, and that'll give you something to start with. As long as people see that you're joining in, they're pretty generous.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2011, 14:48:50 »
surly no one   wants bog standard stuff :(cause thats all ive got at the mo  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2011, 18:35:39 »
Someone will; there are always beginners in need. There are plenty of unusual varieties on eBay, or you could try Realseeds, Brown Envelope Seeds or Thomas Etty.

ginger7

« Reply #299 on: July 03, 2011, 18:49:07 »
this sounds really intresting and worthwhile l will be into this,great idea ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal