Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 112710 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2011, 18:36:08 »
Ji JayB

I would be interested and I have yellow currant and peacevine tomatoe varieties and the Real Seeds Pea Chamption of England (I think that's the name) - please could you put my name down if not too late.  Let me know which ones you want me to grow and I will pm you  my details.

Kind regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2011, 01:08:59 »
I shall be growing a few tomatoes specifically for seed this year, I tried last year but outside was not a good idea,so in the greenhouse this year,

Madama Jardels Black and Queen of Hearts are on my for sure list...plus a few others still to decide.

I managed to get my hands on an old family bean that i used to grow .for years before I went to the UK

I lost my last few seeds when the floods in Hull took my plants, The very aged family member who gave me the few I have is no longer gardening and he had some from 8 years ago so fingers crossed i can bring them back.

We have never really had a name for them as they were in the family but I used to call them "All around the World beans"  They originally went with an ancestor from Russia to Poland , then Germany, then crossed the pond to the US and finally into Canada as the family moved on. I  am happy to share them if I can get these precious few to germinate.Very tall bean, flat green pods steaked very lightly with red,oval fat dark beige beans with dark brown splashes. I have searched for years to find a bean like these and have never been able to so I guess it is a true heirloom family bean thaat has got it's own characteristics.The really important thing is it is a very good tasting bean and my real favourite.

Also thought of a few Oriental veggies,there are a geeat many here.

Well that is a start

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2011, 17:39:27 »
Looks like I'm about 'flood' you all with my 'wild leeks' ;D At start I was bit worried if I have enough..but just today I found my uneaten bulbs in GH..nicely covered and tucked away so frost don't get them or one cannot find them ::)
Now I've got loads and loads planted  :-X  ;D
So first lot is ticked off from the list and growing...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2011, 21:01:20 »
I'll add you in Jitterbug, but you do the choosing of what you want to grow for the circle ;D I'll up date the guide of what everyone is growing in the next few days. No need for you to pm me any info, just keep in touch throughout the season on this thread  :)

All sounds super to me Jeannine can't wait to try out Madama JB. Those beans sound intriguing too, and if they are tops in your taste, my fingers are selfishly firmly  crossed for a good harvest  ;D

Yayyyy good news goodlife, I think they are going to be very popular!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2011, 15:39:04 »
I've just had a thought.. ::) ;D
I've been feeling the insides of my sealed pea packets..those that I got from Nordic seed bank...and there is quite few seeds..
Would anybody else be interested to grow some for seed saving and we could then put them into distribution within circle..it's always safer to have couple of growers than have all 'eggs in one basket'.
I don't have any info what sort they are other than 'garden peas'..I suspect they are 'normal' height..not climbing.
There would be aprox 10 peas each in 2 varieties = 2 packets..two separate growers perhaps?
I'm going to play safe and put some to grow soon in GH..being Scandinavian bred they should be cold tolerant... ::)...one would think :-X
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 15:48:05 by goodlife »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2011, 18:24:19 »
What are they called?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2011, 20:22:14 »
I opened the packets now..
One is called Paula..and they are small, smooth peas, originate from Finland
Other is Skånsk Märgärt, from Sweden
,, ;D..don't ask me to translate.. ;D ???..they are larger and wrinkley peas.
I couldn't find in Nordic site any descriptions to what sort they are..nor I found anything when I googled the names.
So at the moment I'm still in dark about them ???
Would you like to have a go growing Robert 'the pea man'..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2011, 14:16:54 »
They sound interesting! Yes, I'd appreciate a few.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2011, 14:22:40 »
It will be interesting to hear how well they grow and taste, I'm afraid I'm trying to cut down on a few varieties I want to sow this year, as it seems my eyes are bigger than my plot!
Looking forward to reading how you both progress.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2011, 16:28:00 »
as it seems my eyes are bigger than my plot!

;D I know that feeling  ;D

I'd love to offer to help grow some too but am in the same position as jayb 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2011, 17:34:34 »
No problem 'chaps'..I've sent PM to Robert and hopefully I get him on the job.. ;)
If we manage to get the pea numbers up enough..you lot are going to end up with some for next year then ;)...roll on 2012 ;D

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:25 »
poolcue,i got the seeds from a greek man wenn i was on holiday in greece,but you have homegrown dutch ones.They are from my first crop.
Thank you very much Ruud they arrived this morning together with some extras.It is really appreciated.Looking forward to May when I can plant them.
Peter

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2011, 12:09:58 »
I just got the seeds, thanks. I'm looking forward to growing them out! Which seed bank are they from? Someone's bound to ask!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:13:44 by Robert_Brenchley »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:30 »
 Robert...here is the link for the seedbank.. ;)
http://www.nordgen.org/index.php/en/content/view/full/62/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2011, 13:27:22 »
Thanks.

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:11 »
Hi guys,
Just to say, I found some old out-of-date packets of tomato seeds (almost a back of the sofa job), from back in the days when I didn't fully appreciate the growing conditions I had and possibly had more money than sense!  I've tried germination tests on these and they are germinating, so would anybody be interested in some seeds for the seed circle as I will be growing them on?  They are Vova Yellow and Purple Calabash.  The latter I know is not everyone's cup of tea judging from comments on the internet but it has been discontinued by the organic catalogue this year so might be of interest (we found it palatable when I grew it before); the former I haven't tried before but it has a Russian heritage and may compare favourably with some other outdoor yellow varieties such as Golden Sunrise.

What do you think?  Of course, this presupposes that we don't get slammed by blight! :)

Best regards,
Sue

I should add, I will still be growing the short season varieties I'm trying out for the first time as well, so it's not an either or.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:59 »
Hi guys,
Just to say, I found some old out-of-date packets of tomato seeds (almost a back of the sofa job), from back in the days when I didn't fully appreciate the growing conditions I had and possibly had more money than sense!  I've tried germination tests on these and they are germinating, so would anybody be interested in some seeds for the seed circle as I will be growing them on?  They are Vova Yellow and Purple Calabash.  The latter I know is not everyone's cup of tea judging from comments on the internet but it has been discontinued by the organic catalogue this year so might be of interest (we found it palatable when I grew it before); the former I haven't tried before but it has a Russian heritage and may compare favourably with some other outdoor yellow varieties such as Golden Sunrise.

What do you think?  Of course, this presupposes that we don't get slammed by blight! :)

Best regards,
Sue

I should add, I will still be growing the short season varieties I'm trying out for the first time as well, so it's not an either or.
Sounds good.  Tomato seeds adjusted to northern conditions are very good to have in the circle.  Hope you will get a good growing season.  Vova Yellow look pretty, like slightly elongated Sungold.

Most tomato seeds will stay viable for a long time.  Home saved ones last for 7-8 years if they are stored cool and dry, but there is usually reasonable germination after 10 years and some germination after 12.  I have heard of germination after 13 years, but apparently the seeds took about a month to sprout.  Not surprised at all you have good germination from old packets.  Compare that to parsnip seeds which only last one year from a packet and two years from home produced seeds.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2011, 18:28:18 »
I'd like to join in if you'll have me.
I'm growing several varieties of heirloom/heritage peas, beans, and toms obtained in swaps, but I'll wait to see if they taste good before I decide which to save in bulk.
I have lots of Tomato, Debarao Black http://oca-testbed.blogspot.com/2010/08/high-summer-miscellanea.html saved last year, and I usually save my own parsnip seed. I can probably come up with a few other things too.

Ian

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2011, 17:32:07 »
Ian...I'm sure we all have you..but we wait what Jayb says first.. ;)
Get your treasures ready for action.. ;) ..it's nearly sowing time.. ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:23 »
SueK
I’ve still not grown Purple Calabash though I have some seeds, so I’ll be interested to hear how you rate it compared to your other varieties you are growing this year.
Vova Yellow looks gorgeous, http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Vova_Yellow I look forward to trying it.

Ian, good to have you on board. I had a quick look at your blog, gorgeous photos, I’ll have a better look around when I get the chance. Super crop of toms you had there, I can see why you will be growing them again. I grew Debarao Black last year and found the flavour was slightly mild for me, but that could have been influenced by the wet and cold summer we had here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal