Author Topic: COLD PAYMENT  (Read 8266 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
COLD PAYMENT
« on: December 23, 2010, 18:02:17 »
3 cold weather payments so far, the cash is rolling in!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: COLD PAYMENT
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 19:32:30 »
Along with your other benefits, I assume.

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 19:41:16 »
if this weather continues, I'm sure you'll need it, I'm dreading our next fuel bills  :-\

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 19:58:50 »
if this weather continues, I'm sure you'll need it, I'm dreading our next fuel bills  :-\

So are we, but we don't qualify for any of the 'benefits' which in turn qualify you for the cold weather payments.  Believe me we are not well off.  Gordon Brown, when he abolished the 10% tax rate effectively doubled OH's income tax.  My state and personal pensions do not add up to enough for me to be a tax payer.

Your bragging jim does not go down well with the likes of OH and me.

valmarg

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 21:34:33 »

[/quote]

Gordon Brown, when he abolished the 10% tax rate effectively doubled OH's income tax. 
valmarg

[/quote]

My OH read something the other day that the personal allowance is going to go up by quite a lot.  I find it strange that we have to pay income tax on salaries that are not a living wage, but hopefully that will help a lot of people on low incomes.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:08:51 »
The VAT on the fuel bills was supposed to raise the revenue to give to those who need it.

It is bemusing that people can pay tax from a meagre income and still be eligible for means tested benefits.

My old age pension exceeds my tax allowance and because I have a small private pension (which I saved for.) The excess is given as a minus on my tax code for that pension. I can not claim any means tested benefits because I have savings. House paid for.  I probably could claim if I paid rent and had spent instead of saving.

I was told that the cost of processing means tested benefits exceeds the cost of giving out certain benefits to those who are not needy. So, it is cheaper to give every one over 60 their winter fuel allowance, free bus pass, £10 Christmas bonus and for over 75's. A free TV license.

It stands to reason that the cost of collecting income tax in small amounts from those with an income under a far higher figure than is set as the current tax free allowance is not cost effective either.

Perhaps the system is in place to keep more people employed dealing with all these tax forms and queries.

By my reckoning.  If the tax code was increased to 15K and the tax rate was increased, then people earning over 20K would still be paying the same in income tax.  The loss from the collection of small amounts of tax would be off set by the reduction in the cost of processing same.

However, I suppose the headlines would just show that the tax rate had increased. That could be political suicide for the millionair MPs for whom a restaurant bill  probably exceeds what many of us have to live on for a week.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 20:23:06 »
Just checked the gas meter, there goes the 'lead' I had with the direct debit. Gas price now going up too, oh well you can't complain much at £11 per month and yes it is a rather cold in this household. Now where's the downstairs duvet?

A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 22:47:38 »
No cold weather payment here, but I've calculated that my gas usage for December will be more than 1/3rd higher than this time last year, so I'm not looking forward to the bill!

Tricia

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 23:50:56 »
You people on gas central heating should consider yourselves fortunate.  I just filled my oil tank and it was just a little under £1200.  Since I ordered mine back in November, I read in the paper that oil suppliers have tripled their prices in the last couple of weeks.   :o

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 21:31:14 »
Wow Pauline that is one hell of a bill.

We do appreciate being on mains gas, but whilst it might be cheaper, and with the added advantage of being 'on tap',  this month has been horrendous.

We are still fortunate that we do not have to choose between heat or eat, but it is getting worrying, with the savings dwindling.

Still, it's nice to know that while we are struggling to keep warm, we are all keeping jimtheworzel in the warmth we can only dream of.

valmarg

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 21:44:22 »
You people on gas central heating should consider yourselves fortunate.  I just filled my oil tank and it was just a little under £1200.  Since I ordered mine back in November, I read in the paper that oil suppliers have tripled their prices in the last couple of weeks.   :o

:o How long before you have to re-fill? 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 22:02:56 »
My daughter has fired central heating & in the last year it has cost her £120. per month. We had a new boiler fitted 15 months ago & our gas went down from £73 a month to £31 & we are £80 in credit so hopefully that will help towards having to have it on so much with the cold snaps.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 00:15:26 »

:o How long before you have to re-fill? 

Last year the oil lasted 12 months but this year has been much colder for longer so we will use a lot more.  We use very little in the summer because we have solar energy which supplements our hot water.  If this weather keeps up we will have to fill up again before the winter is out.

We have cavity wall insulation, double glazing and very thick insulation in the loft so have done our best to keep the heat in and minimise the oil we use but with such extremes of temperature, it really gets through it.

I am pleased that there is a cold winter payment for pensioners and certainly do not begrudge Jimtheworzel and others in his position getting help in this very cold weather.  I know I wouldn't be happy if I had to live on £132.60 a week, the single allowance or £202.40 a week for a couple, yet there are a lot of people struggling along on this income.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 06:27:19 »
I get cold weather payments and up to now I have had 4 x £25 paid to me. I have to live on £130.00 a week. I worked for 40 years selfemployed before I retired, and I never earned more than £90.00 per week, Never had any benefits and I have been a widower for 25 years (No widowers pension for me as I didn't qualify). I had to look after my disabled mother for the last 7 years of her life, and I also put my two children through Uni. Only now do I get a little help from the state I also get a small pension from when I worked for Powell Duffryn which is for the grand sum of £23.00 per month before tax. Out of my £130.00 per month my outgoings for Gas Electric Council Tax, Insurance etc., come to £98.00. Which leaves me with £32.00 for luxuries like Food, clothing, house repairs, TV license. The only Holiday I have had was a day trip to Barry island last August before that I had a holiday in 1986. To me the allotment is not just a hobby but I need my plot to feed me.  Not every body on benefits are living a life of pleasure to me its a daily struggle

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:10 »
Mums on oil and logs but the last 1000 litres was only 69p a litre. It's really important to shop around other people paid 10p more in the same village. She's also trying to get a double delivery with next door which drops the price.

I totally agree Pauline7 although that's at least in part because I can't afford an expensive house out in the country or to own any house/flat for that matter.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 12:25:26 »
Mums on oil and logs but the last 1000 litres was only 69p a litre. It's really important to shop around other people paid 10p more in the same village. She's also trying to get a double delivery with next door which drops the price.

Your Mum paid over the odds then gp.girl.  Mine was 58p a litre because I ordered it at the end of November.  I shopped around before I ordered and found some Companies were charging at least 10p a litre more.  According to the press, because heating oil is in such demand, Companies are now charging over a £1 a litre!   We will definitely install a wood burning stove next year.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 14:43:18 »
valmarg  i live on £135.18 a week pension after 50 years working
i pay gas  , electric ,council tax, t/v licence  ... not a lot left for food

AND I DONT CLAIM BENEFITS

jimtheworzel

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 14:47:47 by jimtheworzel »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 18:42:40 »
The DHSS consider the OAP as a benefit. (They told me that when I said it was an entitlement we had all paid into it).

But to get the £25 a week cold weather payment. It is dependent on being entitled to a means tested benefit of some sort.

A lot of people get annoyed that they can not claim these benefits because they have deliberately been frugal and saved.

When some one brags that they are getting extra. Understandably those who are not , get annoyed.

JIM you started it..........THAT was bragging

Now you are winging

May I add the sum you say you get a week is more than I get and I can not claim the cold weather payment.

I do not care if you worked for 5  50 or 500 years. But if what you say is your pension then it is not a full one.

Neither is mine. I took years off to bring up kids because before  1978 we women, did not automatically get our contributions covered whilst we took time off to take care of our kids.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 18:54:01 by PurpleHeather »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 18:55:28 »
When did his obvious delight at getting a bit of much needed extra cash become bragging? Something to share with your friends who will be Pleased for you?

We vaunt ourselves on A4A as being "a community", so let's be pleased that "Jim",  who I think is called Pete, has got some much-needed help with his fuel bills. It would be great if we all had loadsa dosh but until that happens let's be happy for those that do get a bit of extra help!

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 19:13:55 »
When did his obvious delight at getting a bit of much needed extra cash become bragging?

When he made his first post about his glee in getting the £25 a week rolling in.

THEN he said he did not claim benefits.

You have to claim benefits to get them...........derrrrrrrrrrr

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal