Author Topic: white broccoli - how hardy?  (Read 1137 times)

small

• Hectare
white broccoli - how hardy?
« on: December 11, 2010, 15:18:08 »
In hindsight, this was not a good year to go all out for winter veg....we were down to -13 last week, and the previously healthy white sprouting broccoli plants are looking very sorry for themselves.  I know they are supposed to be grown over winter, but do temperatures this severe actually kill them? Leeks, parsnips, swede, mooli, all fine, but this broccoli.....voices of experience, please!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: white broccoli - how hardy?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 15:21:01 »
Purple is hardier than white but it should bounce back this next week or so...  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 15:37:40 »
I grow white ones every year..and I haven't had complete loss yet.. ::)..oh, I'm asking for it now ::) I probably loose odd proccoli plant over winter..what ever colour but I found white being as hardy as rest of them ;D
I've just been in lottie to see my plants today. Snow has melted that much that I was able to dig out few brussels..and  yes..broccoli were there too..looked like some giant has walked over but they will start recovery..eventually..
If they aint brown there is all hope left ;)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 15:55:02 »
I lost all my white broccoli last year along with purple sprouting and curly kale but then we did get down - 26C for a while.  This year we've been down to -15C and all but one of the cavolo nero are gonners along with all the oriental  greens.   However the purple sprouting and sprouts look OK so far. 
Obxx - Vendée France

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 23:07:29 »
Small,
I reckon you'll be OK. Here we dropped to -9 this week.
Visiting my plots today, my neighbour was awash with purple sprouting! Don't ask.
I will have to wait until March for mine.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:35:48 »
Thanks folks.  It was only a 10p sale packet, and I don't even know if I'll like it, but as you say time will tell.  They'll need to taste pretty good to compensate for sprawing all over and making my patch untidy......

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 14:17:34 »
If it's as sprawling as you say it may be Nine Star Perennial... first the good news it's very hardy... the bad news it's rather bland... OK with Cheese/mustard sauces though (when I could eat those things...)  :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal