Author Topic: garlic  (Read 1577 times)

flitwickone

• Half Acre
garlic
« on: November 12, 2010, 14:33:51 »
to mazimize the space for potatoes next year im going to plant my garlic in a four foot by one foot container has anyone else grown garlic like this if so
tips please

schmelda

• Half Acre
Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 16:21:33 »
I grew some garlic in planters a couple of years ago.  They came out a bit small, but that may have been because I was a bit greedy and planted them too close together, or because I didn't plant them until January.

I just popped them in the soil, made sure they didn't 'pop' back out again and pulled them out once the leaves died back. 

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 21:44:51 »
I've never tried it, but they have little shallow roots, so it shouldn't bother them from that point of view. I suppose temperatures might be more extreme in a container than in the ground. But whether that makes a difference i don't know.

Sounds worth a try to me anyway - but maybe someone will be along who's tried it before and can tell you more.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:41 »
Garlic needs a good cold spell to get the best out of it. Shouldn't be a problem in container :-) Go for it
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:40 »
I grew garlic in containers this year & they ended up very small. Think they didn't get enough water through the dry spells. As long as you keep an eye on them they should be fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal