Author Topic: Pro Seeder Dispenser  (Read 3215 times)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Pro Seeder Dispenser
« on: November 01, 2010, 21:32:46 »
Just getting the next year's seeds ordered and saw an entry for a piece of kit called Pro Seeder which is supposed to reduce thinning of plants by dropping one seed at a time. Anyone used one of these and are they worth a tenner? :)
Boydzfish

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: Pro Seeder Dispenser
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 22:10:15 »
Just getting the next year's seeds ordered and saw an entry for a piece of kit called Pro Seeder which is supposed to reduce thinning of plants by dropping one seed at a time. Anyone used one of these and are they worth a tenner? :)

giz a link then
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:12:39 »
Yer tiz http://www.selections.com/GF2189/pro-seeder/ . Might be a bit of a gimmick but might cut down on the thinning!!
Boydzfish

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:09:13 »
I find things like these too much of a phaff. I have one that does a similar thing!

My one has a nozzle to locate the seeds but the container is a circular dish with a clear plastic lid that has various sized notches cut in it to suit fine to large seeds.

Where I find it a nuisance is;

a) you have to fill it
b) the seeds seem to have a mind of their and come out more than one at a time.
c) Then you have to empty it again if you do not sow all the seeds as is often the case with me.

If I use it at all I don't use the lid and this makes for speedier sowing, i.e. I find the funneled chute quite usuful now that my hands shake a bit!

Personally I wouldn't buy one, my one came free with a gardening magazine years ago.

I guess it may have its uses, in particular for those people who want to sow their seeds singly!

But when you consider that you might only want a couple of dozen plants of one genus all the phaff is not worth it in my opinion.

Think of this; you still have to prick them out which in effect does the same thing i.e. it singles your plants out!

You asked for opinions ...........this is mine! ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 13:08:08 »
I've got something similar. I only bought it cause it was cheap enough for to try. £1.99..but for the same reasons that TG mentioned..I 've only used it once and found it too much hassle. Now if I were to do trays and trays of same thing, yes..I would use mine more often. But I tend to sow lots of different things.. little and often and it just is not worth it...by the time I fill it and empty it I would have sown several different things by  hand.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 13:32:51 »
I can imagine it would be a bit of a faff, but it probably makes seed go a lot further than I would planting by hand!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 15:35:21 »
I've got something similar. I only bought it cause it was cheap enough for to try. £1.99..but for the same reasons that TG mentioned..I 've only used it once and found it too much hassle. Now if I were to do trays and trays of same thing, yes..I would use mine more often. But I tend to sow lots of different things.. little and often and it just is not worth it...by the time I fill it and empty it I would have sown several different things by  hand.

Same here.  Used once, then consigned to the back of the shed somewhere.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:39:25 »
Must agree with the other reports above. I tried the one I bought a few times but it was a total waste of time for most seeds.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

picman

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29:22 »
If it was any good we would all have one... I was given a seed wheel device fill with seed  and roll it along the ground , only works on Beetroot and carrots (with a lot of fiddling with the adjustments) . That site looks hugely expensive (Probably where the Daily Mail got their prices)   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal