Author Topic: Bread Making Problem  (Read 18527 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Bread Making Problem
« on: November 05, 2010, 16:31:00 »
This is an ongoing problem that I have when using my bread making machine. The problem is I cant seem to make a light wholemeal loaf. I have tried allsorts but its just not working. Now my bread machine was purchased a few years ago from ASDA (asdas own brand) and was a cheap one. Is it the machine thats the problem? and do I need to purchase a better quality one?
I have even tried 1/2 white flour 1/2 wholemeal flour still no joy!
I have added lemon juice....
Vitamin c powder......
Nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest something new ?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Bread Making Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 16:39:42 »
It could be as simple as adding extra water. I found out that brown bread needs more water than white.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 16:53:26 »
don,t like the machine  went back to by hand  :D
i don't belive death is the end

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 17:14:31 »
I bought a cheap machine (Lidl!!) and in fact it is far better than other more expensive ones I tried! It preheats the ingredients and I find that works really well. I make lots of multigrain bread containing partially wholewheat flour and they come out really well. I think too, yes it needs a bit more water and it likes to soak a bit. Put the water in and the flour a bit beforehand, let them settle together, see if that makes any difference.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 20:54:12 »
I will look to add more water and see what happens-thanks all :)

Duke

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 22:26:19 »
I think when it comes to breadmakers. you either love or don't particularly like.

I have two friends who have the machines.  One loves it and uses it every day. The other's machine is gathering dust in the back of a cupboard.

I love making bread, but I find my Kitchen Aid an invaluable aid for kneading.

I just don't think I would find a breadmaker any better.

valmarg

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 23:33:43 »
I have a Panasonic breadmaker.  The manual does say that recipes must be follwed to the letter,  putting in ingredients in the order as per the book.  It is a fantastic appliance that we use regularly.  If you no longer have the user manual, have you searched for it online to download a copy?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

bruno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 06:10:26 »
I find the best results come from using the bread maker to do the kneading cycle only - then knock back and allow to rise before baking in the normal way.- yummy!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:40 »
I found using it just for the kneading was best; then you can take the dough out and make whatever shaped bread you like. Flatbreads are our faves and with left over dough today I've got a small banana bread rising at the moment.

I make one batch of dough a week, use it for pizza bases and then keep it in the fridge for flatbreads and rolls etc later in the week. It keeps really well and only one batch needs making rather than smaller batches more often.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:04 »
I have had a lot of problems with my Panasonic breadmaker these past couple of years.  Sometimes the bread would turn out like bricks!  

I rang Panasonic and they said there was a problem with the gluten in the flour. They recommended buying flour from Waitrose.  I did this and got much better results.  One thing I have found out by trial and error is to use freshly bought flour as any past its sell by date produces bricks.

You may be interested in this thread:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=25792773#post25792773

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:35:25 »
I found using it just for the kneading was best; then you can take the dough out and make whatever shaped bread you like. Flatbreads are our faves and with left over dough today I've got a small banana bread rising at the moment.

I make one batch of dough a week, use it for pizza bases and then keep it in the fridge for flatbreads and rolls etc later in the week. It keeps really well and only one batch needs making rather than smaller batches more often.
Did anyone see HFW this week when they  constructed an oven out of clay for making Pizza bases in the back garden, the eating part looked yummy, :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 22:41:10 »
I think if anyone is contemplating buying a breadnmaker, the should get a friend that has one to make them a few loaves to see if they (a) enjoy them. or are 
(b)edible.

They are quite an expensive piece of kit, so my advice would be to try before you buy. ;D ;D

valmarg

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 17:10:40 »
If it is still not working get some Spelt  and use it as a 50/50 mix. Spelt rises twice as fast as ordinary flour.

I once bought some brown flour which I tried two loaves with and they were both only fit for the birds, I had some left so rather than waste it I used it with a pinch of cinnamon (butter and sugar) for an apple crumble topping, It was rather nice. Better than the bread.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 18:09:43 »
I have had a lot of problems with my Panasonic breadmaker these past couple of years.  Sometimes the bread would turn out like bricks!  

I rang Panasonic and they said there was a problem with the gluten in the flour. They recommended buying flour from Waitrose.  I did this and got much better results.  One thing I have found out by trial and error is to use freshly bought flour as any past its sell by date produces bricks.

Could you tell me why Waitrose flour? Would this be Waitrose own brand?

Duke

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 19:04:54 »
I have eaten freshly baked bread for my tea, made by my cheap Lidl breadmaker. It is very good and I have had no problems. Remember to use "strong" bread four and follow the recipe to start with. Now I add different things, such as cheese, onions and peppers as I think fit and it always turns out well.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 19:23:10 »
Hovis do a flour called Country Grain, neither white nor brown but somewhere inbetween. I don't use a breadmaker myself but following the recipe on the packet for the above flour seems to work for me.

Jon

Capt Pugwash

• Not So New ...
  • Scholes, West Yorkshire
    • Plot 10
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 21:14:51 »
The first thing I would try is including Bread Improver in the mix.
It is the beginning of wisdom to say 'I don't know.' - Narrator from Monkey Magic

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 21:49:46 »
I tried following the recipe to the letter when I first got my breadmaker as a present, and it was hard to have faith as it seemed like a truly weird and revolting mix - including loads of salt, sugar and milk powder. But lo and behold...

... the resulting bread was salty, sweet and heavy as a brick. We tried feeding it to the birds but they were scared of it.  ;D

I now make a normal bread recipe, with slightly less yeast. It still sometimes sinks in the middle but it's okay. But it's never fluffy like French bead or packet bread. It's ... sturdy.

And it falls apart when you try and make sandwiches. Probably the lack of proper kneading? I don't know. But it tastes nice.

And I like PurpleHeather's recommendation - spelt flour bread is so tasty.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 22:57:15 »

Could you tell me why Waitrose flour? Would this be Waitrose own brand?

Duke

Yes, it was their own brand.  Panasonic said Waitrose bread flour does not have the gluten problems, as they import it from North America.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 10:29:00 »
We would recommend Wessex Mill ( Clarks of Wantage) flour and a little their flour improver for wholemeal bread in machines. Excelent also try adding 100g of white

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal