Author Topic: garlic  (Read 4748 times)

ACE

• Hectare
garlic
« on: October 19, 2010, 17:14:55 »
I would not personally buy from him, If you read my earlier posts a couple of years ago you would no why. But this is quit an interesting artical that will appeal to the garlic growers on A4A

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/8066208/Savour-the-flavour-of-garlic.html

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 18:28:15 »
I thought he'd sold up to someone else a couple of years ago.... most of the big seed pl[aces get theirs frmo him now.....

chrisc

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 18:52:57 »
I've got some Picardy Wight & I thought I could plant it soon but in the article it says plant Jan/Feb. What would happen if I pklanted it soon?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 19:00:57 »
I've got some Picardy Wight & I thought I could plant it soon but in the article it says plant Jan/Feb. What would happen if I pklanted it soon?

As it is a newspaper article, I would check first that they have their facts right.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 19:03:30 »
Even if it is one that can be planted late, it'll do no harm to put it in now.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 19:06:20 »
I bought all the varieties for a garlic trial that I am conducting this year and they were all described as being suitable for Autumn planting.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 18:22:19 »
I have planted only seed garlic to over winter but what is the selection procedure for seed garlic which I think is well over priced, :)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 23:01:07 »
Because of the dangers of disease, you should only plant cloves that are certified virus and nematode free stock. In other words, do not plant any cloves from the supermarket as they may well be carrying diseases. While this may not affect their immediate eating quality, it could well contaminate your soil and prevent you growing your own garlic.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 23:11:04 »
Because of the dangers of disease, you should only plant cloves that are certified virus and nematode free stock. In other words, do not plant any cloves from the supermarket as they may well be carrying diseases. While this may not affect their immediate eating quality, it could well contaminate your soil and prevent you growing your own garlic.

Not necessarily...............my french garlic came from a plait in 2005 bought at a French supermarket and still going strong without contamination. My English ones from a plait bought at the local butcher in 2006 and ditto, and I still grow a few from a new place every year, but never from a garlic supplier, interesting.

Ninny

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:10:25 »
I am still waiting for my delivery of garlic from Unwins - they are so slow!

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:37 »

Dispite never growing it in the same place mine goes down with rust  ??? every year but at least I don't get viruses and nemetodes......
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:13:40 »
I must have the garlic bug  I now have three 'Marco' bulbs to put in to over winter,  I have a cut down plastic barrel I want to use for the garlic,  any suggestions on what would be the best stuff to grow them in till next year, I have plenty of compost, top soil and my own compost bin contents,  :)

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 18:18:24 »
The more you grow; the more you use.

Am doing 2kg this year, gave a few to mates, but planted 160, on the basis I use 2 - 3 heads per week, am hoping these will last me, even if I have to freeze some at the end of the year if they are not good storers.

If we ever have a meet up, you won't need a pic, just sniff me out  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 18:20:20 »
How do you prepare you garlic for freezing Sally ?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 20:06:46 »
Code: [Select]
any suggestions on what would be the best stuff to grow them in till next year, I have plenty of compost, top soil and my own compost bin contentsMixture of all that with added grit and handfull of BFB..and your garlic will love it ;D ;)

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 20:19:07 »
 ::)This year I have just set 300 garlic cloves. All from last years produce
I pick out the largest of the cloves  keeping the varieties separate. I make a plan on the computer of what variety is set in which row ( memory not what it was) and have over the last 2 years had excellent results with very few losses. To set this quantity would cost me a fortune from regular suppliers. I did however 3 years ago purchase my initial stock from the Garlic Farm, Dobbie's and T & Morgan.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 21:22:02 »
any suggestions on what would be the best stuff to grow them in till next year, I have plenty of compost, top soil and my own compost bin contentsMixture of all that with added grit and handfull of BFB..and your garlic will love it ;D ;)

Goodlife,
                                    BFB, please, :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 23:24:52 »
Think that's blood, fish and bone Mr Smith!

Mine grow in clay soil, in now where I planted the sweet peas this year, so have just the nutrients in the ground left behind.  ;)

Ninny

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:37 »
How do you prepare you garlic for freezing Sally ?

Duke

So far, I've always used about 80 heads between June (I pull as needed when they are green, and let the rest mature) and December - I did notice that after Christmas they were not storing so well, but only had a few left.

A friend grates them in a food processor and freezes in margarine size tubs, it should then be possible to just scrape off the amount you need for cooking.

Bet the house will stink  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 15:33:01 »
Dispite never growing it in the same place mine goes down with rust   
That often happens when somebody has been bit too heavy handed with fertilizer..nitrogen particularly..you get lush growth but it is not hardy to stand against deseases etc...does that 'ring the bell'?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal