Author Topic: Parsnip recommendations please?  (Read 2096 times)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Parsnip recommendations please?
« on: October 19, 2010, 16:22:01 »
Weeding round my parsnips this morning - first year I've grown them - and wondered what variety to grow next year. (This lot are Improved Hollow Crown and are certainly looking good although I haven't lifted any to taste yet.)

What would you recommend / suggest? My plot is on heavy-ish clay-based soil (London clay although with much organic stuff added over the years).

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Parsnip recommendations please?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 16:39:18 »
Why change if you don't know what these ones taste like.  ???        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 16:42:38 »
Some of the new F1's like Bayonette or Gladiator are worth a try if you don't have a good depth of soil as they are smaller types...  :-\

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 23:14:22 »
Why change if you don't know what these ones taste like.  ???        ;D ;D ;D

Good point... in fact I'm not necessarily *going* to change - just wanted to know what varieties other people like best. I need to buy new seed for next year anyway, given parsnip seeds' reputation for short lifespan, so it seemed a good idea to ask around beforehand. Otherwise I might end up accidentally buying the parsnip equivalent of the Moneymaker tomato...   :)

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 23:32:21 »
I grew "Gladiator" last year ... thoroughly enjoyed them, but when I tried the same packet of seed early this year I couldn't get any started. I guessed they'd "passed their sell-by date", looked for some more, couldn't find any and bought "Albion". These started fine, have grown well, but I've yet to lift any ... because ... just to "double-prove" a point, I sowed 16 of my old Gladiator seeds in a tub of compost, just to see if any at all would start, and got nine plants, which were planted out, grew well, and have now been all eaten :) ... I'll be starting on the Albion next!

Just for reference, the Gladiator grew to about 15" with a good girth in my "ordinary" garden soil, plenty big enough for eating ;)

Next year I'll be starting my parsnips in pots/tubs and planting out, rather than faffing about sowing in rows outside, then wondering whether or not the young shoot shave been eaten or whether they've not germinated at all and generally getting flustered unnecessarily !

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:45:49 »
We stick with tender and true cos we save the seed every year. If you want to try a few. PM me you address and I will send you some.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:28 »
white gem for me the last four years.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:37 »
I've settled on Gladiator and Tender and True on improved clay soil in Cheshire.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:12 »
Clay soil is not a big problem for traditional parsnips.  I have grown some whoppers and our soil is heavy clay.  The variety was Hollow Crown.

For a few years now I have grown Dlouhy Bily, aka Long White, and take my own seed.  There is not a huge difference between parsnips, other than perhaps size.  I think most F1s are fairly small and probably better grown on sandy soil.

Does anybody know a variety that is really canker resistent?

TISH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 15:18:18 »
avonresister works well for me on london clay
Thanks

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:09 »
I use tender & true. Sweet and tasty next year I will protect from the carrot fly that is rampant on our site
So should have a fab crop. The seed also seem less fussy about their use by date and are easy to germinate

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 13:47:30 »
I've been growing Gladiator for several years very pleased with their taste, size of root, virtually no canker and they last beautifully in the ground here all winter.

But I'm looking for an open pollinated variety with good canker resistance so I can save seed. This year I've also grown Tender and True, I've not sampled these yet as they were the last to be sown. Also Bedford Monarch, a heritage variety with apparently 'good resistance to canker'. I tried some at the weekend, mashed and a couple roasted, pleased so far and I'm interested to taste after frost.  No sign of canker yet but early days. Ground here is on the heavy side though not full clay.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 16:02:14 »
I always had good success with that white gem variety but this year I am growing something different...something with guernesey  in the name. First one was quite nice, last week...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 17:13:09 »
Just a quick reference to my earlier post ... I've now tried the "Albion" and they're really nice. About the same size as "Gladiator" and, although it's difficult to be totally critical without a direct side-by-side test, I'd suggest the flavour/texture was slightly creamier and possibly a little sweeter  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 17:15:56 »
I like good old Hollow crown too..and they do grow huge ;D.. does take some getting out of ground. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal