Author Topic: 6 x 4 shed is it big enough  (Read 3943 times)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
6 x 4 shed is it big enough
« on: October 14, 2010, 00:36:25 »
I have just got my first plot  5 rods without a shed and the council say I can have a 6 x 4 shed on it, that would be fine for storage but if I want to pot up anything would I have to drag some of the tools out to work in there? I have thought of putting on a lower level shed extension for the barrow and small mower (as we have to cut the grass on the paths).
other plots the same size have bigger sheds but because I've a blank plot they have stipulated this size and I really don't want to rock the boat as I'm new. Any advise please

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: 6 x 4 shed is it big enough
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:45:24 »
I'd be really chary about leaving anything beyond the odd hand tool on a plot. Sheds are great for putting things like spare fertilizer in and keeping you dry if there's a shower but many allotments seem to suffer theft problems and a shed seems to act as a magnet if it's left locked.  A 6x4 would be plenty for me but then all I leave on the plot is an ancient barrow, a rubber builders bucket, a fork and a hoe....

plot5

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:51:06 »
hi kimbobill . 6x4 shed is just enough for tools barrow canes etc.  rather then building a leanto i would go for a greenhouse if aloud .you will be able to sow seed and pot on .as plants need all around light. plus grow tomatoes etc. ps check on line or local adds to see if somone wants to sell a greenhouse  .good luck

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:44:45 »
I have just got my first plot  5 rods without a shed and the council say I can have a 6 x 4 shed on it,

other plots the same size have bigger sheds but because I've a blank plot they have stipulated this size and I really don't want to rock the boat as I'm new.

The council amended our rules a couple of years ago due to people having structures the size of buckingham palace.  Sheds and greenhouses currently in situ were allowed to stay but when the need arises for them to be replaced plotholders are to fall in line with the new rulings.  This came about predominantly caused by pigeon lovers building crees the size of Noah's arc.  Likewise - any new pigeon lofts are to be within current rules and regulations (20x8ft), again, those already erected are permitted to stay.

1.  Full plots - sheds 8x6ft
2.  Half plots - sheds 6x4ft.
3.  All plots are permitted one 8x6ft greenhouse.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 18:44:07 »
Greenhouse sounds like a good idea, although I'm trying to keep the costs down.
I have just got the paper work through and on a full size plot of 10 rods you are allowed 640 sq feet.
The one good thing about a small shed is it'll give more space for veg on a 1/2 plot
thanks for the feedback.
Kim

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 18:49:54 »
I thought my 6x4 shed would be big but it wasn't, earlier this year I managed to get hold of another 6x4 someone did not want and joined the two together loads of room for the rotovator(they can nick it if they want if they can carry it) and other stuff but I will be taking the tools home shortly for the winter, :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 19:03:30 »
Theres no such thing a a shed that too big. One of the fundamental LAws of Alotmenttering is that the amount of tools, compost, fertiliser and other crap owned by you will always expand to fil lall available shed space.

I have at house
13x8 - workshop
6x4 lawnmower bikes etc
8x8 woodshed
then on the plot i have
10x6 shed  tools, rotavator, generator,  brewup, chairs
6x6 bags nets, silage sheets  and other crap
10x10 compost, fertilisers.

6 sheds. Not enough room.

There isnt room in any of them in total to store another cigarette card.

Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 19:18:27 »
Mine's a sentry box!  :)
[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 20:49:37 »
Depends what you want to keep in it.  A 6x4 is OK, and there's room enough for a bit of a sit, but I wish I'd built mine 6x8.  And a pox on the allotment-nazi's who want to tell you how big your shed can be!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:06:53 »
we are restricted to 6x4 on all plots. And taking what you are saying about cost what some people have done is to create an outside potting / storing / sitting area with wood or canes, and then planting things like a vine, or a hop or clematis. Lovely areas to sit in when needing a rest or escaping from a quick shower. And they look lovely  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 15:43:04 »
I'm sincereley glad there were no restrictions on sizes of sheds when OH build mine....and yes, you do find things to fill it! ;D

It does come in useful when storing produce for me more than anything now, I have never kept anything valuable in it just in case.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 16:48:40 »
We have restrictions too, limiting us to 6x4 but there was no height limit that I could see, so I made mine quite tall and then built a sort of cradle that can be lifted and lowered, a bit like those clothes drying racks in old fashioned kitchens, for things like the stepladder, rolls of fleece and netting etc. I think a shed is a bit like a greenhouse - no matter how big it is, it isn't big enough.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 17:18:35 »
In his 1969 report prof. Thorpe recommended we adopt the continental model and allow shallets on allotments.  I think that would be fantastic.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 18:20:34 »
I struggle with a 9 x 6 shed!

Its always good to have some space for table, chairs, cooking facilities and beer. I think some councils restrict sheds to 6 x 4 so people arent so tempted to sleep in them.

If pleading with the council doesnt work then I like the idea of building a non-shed extension.  This place does lovely pergolas http://www.fountaintimber.co.uk/garden-structures.html they are really big and solid and maybe could be covered with polycarbonate

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 18:49:07 »
Love that decking Flighty  ;D

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 18:50:07 »
Some people do have chalets on my site, as it's traditional there; about a third of the plots had brick summerhouses till the Council demolished them in the 1970's. I totally agree that they should be allowed on all sites.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal