Author Topic: Did you see Hugh ?  (Read 7569 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
Re: Did you see Hugh ?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:06 »
Well said ace.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:56 »
Yes I did, and I'm going to have an enormous rant.

What you saw in Hugh's progamme was the result of grocer Heath's insistence that we join the then 'Common Market'.  He sold our fishing industry down the swanee, particularly to the Spanish.

We are now sufferng the consequences - Common Market/EU the UK are the losers.

I hope he's rotting in purgatory for the next million years, before going to hell. ;D

valmarg

erm, I thought we are running out of fish stocks due to man's insistence on raping the sea for all it's got?

They are linked in that before it was only uk fishermen doing the competing to take all the fish they could, but then european fishermen were allowed to take fish in certain waters and this increased the competition for a declining resource and stimulated a kind of fishing gear arms race to be the ones to catch every fish in the waters so that those foreigners couldnt take them. so the level of damage skyrocketed.

:) x sunloving

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:50:10 »
I'm sure somebody will think of a way to farm sea fish eventually.

You mean like Salmon?
Why not?

Hmmm, it might catch on...  ::)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 14:45:17 »
http://www.fishfight.net/
This is a link to sign the petition if anyone's interested.
While solutions to the problem may not be evident I think SOMETHING should be done.
sanity is overated

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 16:17:25 »
I'm an occasional sea angler, and haven't caught anything of edible size in recent years.
All of the tiddlers I have caught have been thrown back alive.

Why are mackerel a sustainable fish?
Surely if we all change from eating cod to mackerel then they will become very scarce.

I'm sure somebody will think of a way to farm sea fish eventually.

Cod was tried and failed  :( :(

Their point was to eat the fish used for salmon farming instant tripling of the amount of fish availiable and to eat fish such as dab which are routinly discarded and would be better much eaten.

Throwing edible fish back dead will never conserve fish stocks. Personally all fish caught/killed would have to be landed but only sold if a fisherman had quota. The rest would be given away to be processed and sold by other people. Cruel I know but fishermen would learn to catch fish selectively very quickly.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 20:53:44 »
This debate throws up a real bag of worms.

'One idea' was to reduce the fishing time & allow the fishermen to catch all & bring the catch back to port.
Another debate.

In all industries the objective is profit. In the above 'One idea' would be the temptation to dump at sea less profitable fish for the best return. HFW in his programmes has tried to persuade the sceptical public to eat (and enjoy) lesser known species of fish - in the long term I don't think so!
In time the public will return to cod & salmon :P. It's the way of the world, like his chicken campaign.
Remember that????

I worked on deep sea trawlers in the mid sixties & didn't eat fish for five years after that. Sea sickness you ask? NO.

Just remember there are no bogs in the fish hold!!!!!!!

And if you think sea lice are unpleasant when you buy your dyed salmon, what about the worms in cod? Probably not so bad these days, the fish are never big enough to be infested. As I recall a cod breeds after 5 years of age. Seeing the specimens on fish slabs - no wonder the stocks are low.

Get some mackerel or sardines IF, as I cannot find, you can get fish that isn't a week old.
Always remember - REALLY FRESH FISH DOESN'T SMELL!!!!

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 20:55:03 »
Glad to hear it sunloving, though sentences should still start with a capital. ;D ;D ;D As for fishing. tried it once as a boy, but could never see the point in drowning worms. It appears to me though, that we are the only nation that sticks to our quotas, just show how soft we`ve become over the years.
DaiT

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 21:14:21 »

I think you will find that the only people raping our waters of fish(sorry European waters) are countries such as the like of Spain who are using  boats registered in the UK to get away with catching extra quotas and landing fish the size of tadpoles, the first industry to be hit by of our membership in to the Commom Market(sorry European union) all those years ago was the fishing industry, our kid was on the trawlers at the time and lost his job,

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 17:40:26 »
Did anyone see the programme last night ?
If you think you're buying FRESH fish that isn't always the case.
I found it very unsettling as we used to have a couple of independant fishmongers in our town ,now sadly closed we're at the mercy of the supermarkets with their "inventive"labelling :(
sanity is overated

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 18:58:09 »
After seeing the programme, no more prawn cocktail for us.  :( :( :(

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 22:09:38 »

I think you will find that the only people raping our waters of fish(sorry European waters) are countries such as the like of Spain who are using  boats registered in the UK to get away with catching extra quotas and landing fish the size of tadpoles, the first industry to be hit by of our membership in to the Commom Market(sorry European union) all those years ago was the fishing industry, our kid was on the trawlers at the time and lost his job,

Yes, I have never understood why British fishermen can quite legally sell their fishing boats and, more importantly, their fishing quota, to non-Brits - it may be profitable for the individual fisherman but it means that the overall British fishing allocation is shrinking. 

greenthing

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 23:27:50 »
I think a combination of 
bigger holes in the nets will allow smaller fish to escape
impose a total weight limit of ALL fish caught per month
limit the number of days you can fish
introduce conservation no fish zones
introduce a fish breading and release program
but who would want to throw there money into the ocean with no guarantee of a return

having a quota per fish species will not work as they will keep
catching and dumping until they fulfill there quota of the most valuable fish

if the fishermen had any scruples they would not keep catching and dumping
until there quota are reached

the problem is we are all too greedy and the world is over populated

big multinational companies  are now fishing to extinction blue fin tuna and stock piling and freezing to trade in the future when the stocks are exhausted

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 22:19:16 »
valmarg
erm, I thought we are running out of fish stocks due to man's insistence on raping the sea for all it's got?

Well we wern't until grocer Heath sold our fishing industry down the swanee.  The UK fishing industry was responsibly maintained, but then grocer Heath sold it in the cause of european peace.  It let in the Spanish, etc with their dredgers which scooped up the fish, hence the shorttages of previously sustainable stocks,

valmarg

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:13:20 »

Fish stocks were in decline once steam power came in in the early 1900s, it was british fishermen who fished out the majority of our large fish.

Only man power and sail power fisheries were sustainable and the advent of steam and petrol power wiped out most of our stocks. Its not european fishermen that cuased the problem its overfishing and a failure to properly regulate fishing activity.

x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal