Author Topic: Did you see Hugh ?  (Read 7602 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Did you see Hugh ?
« on: January 11, 2011, 22:08:43 »
I've just watched H.F.W. s Fish Fight.
Just when you thought things couldn't get anymore ridiculous >:( >:( >:(
Fishermen "discarding"dead fish netted over their quota in the name of conservation.Surely common sense should be applied, dumping dead fish is hardly conservation.
Any suggestions folk ? :o
sanity is overated

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Did you see Hugh ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:20 »
I knew that discard was an issue but that really bought it home.
Suggestions - give them limited days to fish in certain areas and let them land it all.  Thats what they seem to want..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:30:52 »
I knew that discard was an issue but that really bought it home.
Suggestions - give them limited days to fish in certain areas and let them land it all.  Thats what they seem to want..

Yes, this sounds the most cost efficient and environmentally friendly way.  Or find a way of trading surplus unused allocation against fish actually caught.  Do all fishermen have surplusses of the same fish types? I had heard of discarding unwanted fish, but not the scale of it.  Such waste!

What I also wondered, especially after they threw back one endangered fish alive, was whether they could land the nets into a water tank and throw more live discards into the water?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 18:53:35 »
I agree that it is a waste and something should be done.  However, this situation needs careful consideration as I don't see that there is any easy way out of it yet.

Bill

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 19:16:18 »
The law makers in brussels were worried about stocks Ithink it was cod first you can only catch so many ton per fish hold, but if your hold is three quater full and on your last haul its over full i agree with you all what is the point in throwing dead fish over board . To me do we need another parliment that is claiming more in expensess   than the ones at home  and it seems its only a place for mps to retire with a golden hand shake Close it down save  6 billion a year keep services, schools,  universities , hospitals, here free for our own who have payed there dues over the years. Rugbypost
m j gravell

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 20:00:03 »
It just so happens i am a marine biologist and the problem of over fishing is the biggest loss of wildlife that the UK has faced. Fishermen already massively under report thier activities and push the boundaries of the the quotas, if you allow them to land over the quota then they will massively and every time the fisheries officers catch them doing it they will say that its conserving fish becuase they arent being thrown back dead. the fact is if you have a permit to harvest a fixed amount and you keep on dropping your nets despite approaching this amount and you willfully throw back shed loads of dmaged wildlife then you are not sticking to the rules and you should stop,or try to find ways of keeping the catch alive to be thrown back not try to blackmail us into changing a regulation that cannot even begin to address the collapse of the stocks that your activities caused.

Common property means that unlike farming where the person making the profit owns the land ,every person who uses it will hammer it to get hte maximum profit an accept no responsiblity for the future of the resourse, unless they are stopped.  dont be fooled by the small improvement in some stocks, if youve fished out 99% of the fish so you are down to 1% and then the stocks double youve still only got 2% of the original stock this is not a complete recovery.

Fortunately the marine bill is creating marine conservation zones that will exclude comercial fishermen and thier equipment that destroys vast swathes of our living ocean floor only thier exclusion will make any difference at all but dont be fooled, just becuase its traditional to rape the sea floor and exact massive carnage on our unloved marine life doesnt mean it is right. 

sorry rant over its just makes my blood boil over , if you could see the damage done every day just like if your local forests grasslands and marshes were ploughed up by profiteers then youd feel the same.

x sunloving

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 20:33:33 »
I've just heard about this - was this the one that was filmed in Hastings?

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 20:46:44 »
No offence intended sunloving, but for an academic your spelling and grammar are crap. ;D
DaiT

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:24 »
i know, its rant mode ! feeling calmer this morning so spelling is better :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:26:29 »
Thanks sunloving it's always good to hear more sides of an argument,particularly when the the comments are so clearly well informed.
As for ranting it's a "sport"I enjoy on a regular basis.I can't understand folk who don't get excited about stuff.
sanity is overated

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 18:21:09 »
As a sea angler, I take home what I catch if it is edible. We sometimes get checked by the fisheries blokes if we are out in the boat to see if any fish we have caught is undersize, I can if possible put any undersize fish back but sometimes the fish have put up such a fight (and I don't blame them) the fish is not viable to throw back in the water. It gets used as bait for bigger fish but it is against the law and I would be fined if the fisheries came by at that time. I do not use a gaff anymore if the fish is too large to haul in the boat as that is certain death so I will lean over and unhook it if it is something that I would not eat like shark, big rays,  large congers etc. This can be extremely dangerous at times.

I know where they are coming from with these programmes but just because you are a cook does not give you the right to preach to me. They should all get back below stairs where they belong and get off the telly all together. Hugh Fearnley Eatitall  is such an irritating tw@t with his personal vendetta against Tesco, somebody with a more scientific background should host the programme, people would take more notice.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 19:29:01 »

As for ranting it's a "sport"I enjoy on a regular basis.I can't understand folk who don't get excited about stuff.
[/quote

;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 20:26:30 »

[/quote

;D

I agree!!
You couldn't make it up!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 21:31:05 »
I'm an occasional sea angler, and haven't caught anything of edible size in recent years.
All of the tiddlers I have caught have been thrown back alive.

Why are mackerel a sustainable fish?
Surely if we all change from eating cod to mackerel then they will become very scarce.

I'm sure somebody will think of a way to farm sea fish eventually.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 21:42:14 »

You mean like Salmon?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 22:13:28 »
Yes I did, and I'm going to have an enormous rant.

What you saw in Hugh's progamme was the result of grocer Heath's insistence that we join the then 'Common Market'.  He sold our fishing industry down the swanee, particularly to the Spanish.

We are now sufferng the consequences - Common Market/EU the UK are the losers.

I hope he's rotting in purgatory for the next million years, before going to hell. ;D

valmarg

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 22:19:26 »
watching the salmon thing now scary

I only eat Hake, salmon, skate and grouper i hate cod and sorry i tried fishing once saw the worm and did a runner :)

- Salmon i eat about once in a blue moon
- Hake i have about every 2 weeks if i can and it comes from sustainable source in SA (waitrose)
- Skate i dont like the farmed stuff so dont get to eat this often
- Grouper is a cod replacement i fell in love with in NZ its a wonderful fish but sadly not available in the UK although you can get there smaller cousin strawberry grouper sometimes which is ok but not a great deal of meat on it..

Cam

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 22:23:11 »

You mean like Salmon?
Why not?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 23:24:41 »
Yes, but I don't like fish to eat, I mean I do like fish, but not in a goldfish bowl or on the table with their eyes looking at me.  Poor fish, let them have a life.  My son and I went fishing and were quite happy for months until we caught a fish, then screamed (well I did) and a nice man came and took it off the hook and threw it back.  Never went fishing again, OK when you don't catch anything.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 23:30:12 »
Yes I did, and I'm going to have an enormous rant.

What you saw in Hugh's progamme was the result of grocer Heath's insistence that we join the then 'Common Market'.  He sold our fishing industry down the swanee, particularly to the Spanish.

We are now sufferng the consequences - Common Market/EU the UK are the losers.

I hope he's rotting in purgatory for the next million years, before going to hell. ;D

valmarg

erm, I thought we are running out of fish stocks due to man's insistence on raping the sea for all it's got?
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal