Author Topic: When to sow globe artichokes?  (Read 840 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
When to sow globe artichokes?
« on: September 26, 2010, 16:42:53 »
I got a packet of Franchi seeds in the Wyevale 50p sale, intending to sow in the spring as I have done before, but notice the packet says sow Feb-Apr or Aug-Sep. Has anyone had success sowing late, and as it's almost October do you think I'm too late anyway?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: When to sow globe artichokes?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 18:52:16 »
I'm not sure if there is much to be gained by sowing now.  I've sown in February in the past and had productive plants the same summer.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:26:49 »
yes definitely the spring now. I did sow a couple in August, only one survived and I will transplant it now for next year. They come up pretty quickly outdoors if the weather is fine - in any case you won't get anything the first year. I would say early spring with a bit of shelter, or March under a cloche.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 17:01:20 »
Ok, I'll wait until spring. I did, like Squash64, get some fruit the first year last time round.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal