Author Topic: Three new chickens....  (Read 1793 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
Three new chickens....
« on: September 26, 2010, 16:21:12 »
Today i have become the keeper of three new chickens.  I was supposed to be 'keeping' them for my Dad, but unfortuantly he never came to pick them up.....so i didn't want them but i won't see them returned so i now have 11 of the blighters.  They are fancy bantums (although i am now sure what they are!?!?)  As long as they pay the way with an egg or two i am happy.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Three new chickens....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 20:44:06 »
They sound super any chance of a picture or two?  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 18:45:39 »
Oh will do - i will try to get a couple of photos at the weekend - they are still a little scared of me and if i look like i am doing anything other than feeding them they run a mile lol!

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:14 »
I would like to see photos too  :)

Are they in with your big chickens?  I would love to have some bantams but I worry my 4 existing girls would duff them up.  They sound gorgeous, some of the fancy bantams are so pretty.

(though I shouldn't be egging (ha ha) you on to encourage me; my husband would have a fit if I added to the chicken population he is already worried about the garden turning into a farmyard...  ;)

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 19:15:11 »
We were also worried about that, but I have a great tip if you do want to introduce chickens......we kept the newbies in a small run where they fed and slept.  Although they couldn't touch each other they could see each other.  2 weeks late we let them out to mix.  A little bit of fluffing up (but they have to do this as they need to know whose boss) and within hours they were fine.  (Don't tell your hubby i told you though - don't want to be accussed of turning your garden into a farmyard lol!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal