Author Topic: yorkies  (Read 4407 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
yorkies
« on: December 21, 2004, 18:17:01 »
Dan, tried posting this pic on the recipe site, but it doesn't show up........ so here it is.

Anyhow, never had any success whatsoever making yorkies, but then I think it is a batter problem as it wasn't until I received a proper crepe pan from my mum when I first left home that I successfully learnt how to make pancakes.  So, mentioned this in passing to Doris who gave me her recipe, and here are the puddings I made today.  I am rather pleased as they have risen very nicely, instead of being biscuits like mine usually are, and this was using plain flour.  I would have thought plain flour puds wouldn't have risen, but by jove they did it!
Mind you, still look like fairy cakes, but do they look good to you?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: yorkies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 21:11:06 »
Ok Emma, please please please let me in on the secret.. ;D  Mine are never any better than biscuits :'(  Yours look as good as Aunty Bessies... scrumptious.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 22:22:52 »
Really Mimi!  Cool, phew!  Well really it is Doris Pinks recipe, and she emailed me, and of course my hotmail account is currently 'down', but I think this is how it went.

6oz PLAIN flour
2 eggs
1/2 pint milk
big pinch salt.

Sieve flour and salt into bowl, then break in eggs into a well in the centre and gradually incorporate beating well to get rid of lumps, then start adding the milk.  You end up with a lovely thickish batter, not much different to double cream.  Now refridgerate for at least an hour.  Meanwhile, get your fat hot.  I did mine in muffin tins and put about a teaspoon of duck fat in each hole.  Got the fat smoking hot, then quickly poured the very cold batter into the very hot fat, closed the oven and cooked on 220 for 15 mins.  Voila.  Not bad for me at all.  They are now bagged up and in the freezer to come out again on boxing day where they will be reheated in the hot oven after everything is cooked.

I honestly didn't think they would rise using plain flour, but they did, and they were light and spongey, not at all biscuity.  Thanks Doris!  :D :-*

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 06:25:57 »
Yorkies = yorkshire pud?

Individuals are great, & easy to dish up but, if you want the real thing, especially for toad-in-the-hole, it's got to be BIG!! The toads here hold it down or it would be inches high all over. For what it's worth, AWT's mixture - equal vol of each. So easy. = Tim

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 10:12:05 »
 :DNo you can't use SR flour with yorkies...its the eggs that make them rise...so if you are doing a large amount then add another egg.I always use the large eggs, if any smaller I find they don't rise the same.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 11:39:18 »
I'm sure Val's note was for EJ - & of course I agree. And AWT's thing allows for  everything.

But tried all am to get back to say 'then chuck it all into the liquidiser'. = Tim
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 11:40:50 by tim »

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 12:01:40 »
Tim.... ;D ;D ;D...behave yourself...lol.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 12:47:53 »
They look great EJ! Glad it worked for you, must get on and get mine done!

Tim, one of my favorite meals, with gravy, mashed potatoes and peas! Delish!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 13:21:52 »
OOO Mine too Doris.  Slobber slobber  :P  Must use good sausages and have thick onion gravey too.  Well thats dinner tonight sorted.

Tim.........what is AWT????

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 14:14:51 »
Anthony Worrell Thompson Mimi.  :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 15:42:44 »
PS Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Emma. = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 16:32:10 »
DOH !!!!!!!!  :o

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 19:54:41 »
I recon my misses makes the best Yorkshire puddings.......Me being a Cumbrian and she being Gloucester.....but they are FANTASTIC.  dripping must be searingly hot when the batter hits the tin, (after having rested for an hour or two first).  :) :) :)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 01:02:37 »
Thank you, you lot!  :-)

First time in 30 years, we had roast beef and Yorkshire pud (only just found a local supplier of halal beef).  Had to be a bit inventive with the butchering - but it worked for Xmas dinner.  And the yorkshire puds were ----- a problem :-); the nicest kind - I'll have to find a few more excuses for making them now!  :-)

Happy new year, all!

Gavin

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 09:16:40 »
This is a recepie that NEVER fails. It is extravagent using so many eggs but you end up with huge yorkshires

4oz plain flour
6 medium eggs or 4 extra large eggs
1/2 pint milk
small splash of vinegar

put all ingreediants in a bowl. whisk until smooth. (electric whisks give the best results). Allow to rest for at least 2 hours but 4 is better. Heat oven as hot as you can get it. Put a small amount of solid fat(ie dripping, lard ect.) in each tin. Under no circumstances should you use oil it just doesn't work as well. Heat the tins for about 10 mins until fat is smoking. Half fill each tin with mix. put in the oven . turn oven down to about 220. puddings take about 10-15 mins to cook. I promise jumbo yorkshires from this recepie. Don't worry about the vinegar you can't taste it but it helps the pud crisp up.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 20:51:47 »
As a yorkshire man who like his yorkshire puddings. My tip is to make the batter the night before and let it settle in the fridge a good 12 hours it should be quite runny (pouring batter) , smoke lard and cook in a hot oven.  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 21:15:11 »
Just wait until tomorrow.  = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal