Author Topic: 3 Year Waiting List!!!  (Read 11706 times)

LJB12

• Not So New ...
3 Year Waiting List!!!
« on: September 13, 2010, 21:28:26 »
Look what response I got from my town council in response to my request for an allotment!

You have been added to the waiting list and currently you are nr 45 on the waiting list.
The plots are being renewed for the year this month - so you will be moving up.
However with only 72 plots for such a long waiting list, it will be at least 3 years before we will be able to
offer you a plot. We will be back in touch when you get closer to the top of the list.
Please keep us informed if any of your details change.

THREE YEARS?!!?  :o :o :o :-[

gp.girl

• Hectare
Re: 3 Year Waiting List!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 21:35:51 »
It could be worse and it could be so much better.

Could they divide the empty plots up?

I got one on 2 weeks and rent free for six months.....
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 21:40:32 »
Our site has had a waiting list which was cleared recently and now there are plots empty. Apparently people are finding growing your own too time consuming and too much hard work and giving their plots back ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 21:53:20 »
A lot of the newcomers on our plots have had letters about non-cultivation, so perhaps the TV programmes that made it look easy didn't work and many people have only been up 2 or 3 times and then given up, so next year more allotments to rent.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 23:50:06 »
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if theres 72 plots and your no 45 that means there's more plots than people that want one  ??? ???
As far as Swindon is concerned there shouldn't be any waiting lists at all.  It drives me crazy to see this in the evening advertiser about 2 year waiting list when on my own site there are at least 4 uncultivated plots 2 of which haven't had anyone on them in the last 10 yrs to my knowledge and speaking to other reps in town they have the same problem.  Plus all the old sites that could be reactivated if someone one in the parks department got their finger out and did their job properly.  The system for evictions and lettings is to long winded in my view and needs a serious overall. As you can tell this is one subject sure to wind me up. Will now get off soapbox.  I'm of to bed so wishing you all a very goodnight and sleep tight. Regards, Taurus.  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:22 »
Welcome to A4A  LJB12.  Sorry to hear you have such a long wait. 

With various gardening programmes recommending themallotments are in fashion at the moment. 

It is very hard when you have enthusiasm now to have to wait so long.  Is there some way you can be growing in the meantime.  Garden, walls, pots etc. 

Whereabouts are you?  Maybe someone will be able to provide more information about your area?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:01 »
Hi LJB12 and welcome to A4A. I'm afraid it's a bit like that on my site too. 100 plots and a waiting list of 50 means any newcomers are looking at a wait of 2-3 years. All our plots bar one are let and most are well maintained  although there are 2 or 3 that we are monitoring closely because we aren't too happy with their condition. The one unlet plot has been offered to at least 7 people on the waiting list. It is basically a grassy area now (because no-one will take it) which we are keeping strimmed to keep the weeds down. It is fenced in on 3 sides but has no shed. If we can't get anyone to take it on we will clear it over the winter and try again. Lots of people are on our waiting list because the Edinburgh Council list is huge - over 1000 folk wanting allotments.

It's true that many people take on a plot and don't work it or don't realise how much work it will be. We have managed to persuade most of these people to give up their plots over the last 3 years so mostly now we have well worked plots and steady tenants.

It's hard, though, when you're keen to get going and there's nothing to be had.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36:50 »
LJB12 welcome to A4A from me too  :)
Like Digeroo said is there any way you can grow stuff in the meantime?

grawrc - the plot you described sounds like my plot when I took it on - I thought it was a bonus as there were only a few brambles. It's odd how different people view different things isn't it!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:46 »
I think there are other ways and means....I wouldn't stop there

Look around and see if any are managed by an association and not the council - it's easier to access people directly if there are.

I initially on a visit got told long waiting list, bla bla by one committee member who altogether had a very off-putting, dismissive manner, but after a very carefully crafted email to the person in charge of the list got put on the waiting list one day and was given one the next!!!  I was in heaven  :D  still am....

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:44:03 »
LJB12 welcome to A4A from me too  :)
Like Digeroo said is there any way you can grow stuff in the meantime?

grawrc - the plot you described sounds like my plot when I took it on - I thought it was a bonus as there were only a few brambles. It's odd how different people view different things isn't it!
Yep! One guy actually told us he had expected it to be dug over ready for planting with a shed and a greenhouse!!  :o :o

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:50:21 »
Yep! One guy actually told us he had expected it to be dug over ready for planting with a shed and a greenhouse!!  :o :o
People are funny - I read on another forum that someone on the waiting list was offered an allotment in the autumn but they turned it down because they only wanted a summer one, not a winter one  :D ;D

:(

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:44 »
3 years isnt excessive in some parts of the country. The waiting list on my site is closed because it got too long. Try Landshare to get you going in the meantime.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:23 »
Looking at 4 years if you want one on our site, and that is with halving plots as they become vacant to get the list down quicker.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:33 »
Maybe everyone should start with 1/2 plot and if they keep it well they could graduate to a full plot after a year?
It would mean moving to another which would be a pain but at least it would prove they were serious about gardening.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:56:55 »
Your lucky you don't live in Bournemouth !! our average wait on our site is now standing at 15 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even when we clear it down at renewal time there are more adding to the list every week !!
We have been promised a new site will be opened soon but now the cut backs have hit i don't hold out much hope on that :(

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 13:38:58 »
Flowersofshona2007  Are the kids on the list yet?  ;D

For sites with waiting lists, a years probation on a starter 1/8 of a plot would allow everyone to see how committed you have to be. It would weed out the dreamers and tv gardening victims too. It is amazing how much you can grow in this area and how many different crops you can too.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 13:53:04 »
I've got our waiting list down to about 6 months now by cutting all plots in half as they become vacant. We now only offer 5 pole plots; but if they make a real go of it, they get first refusal if a nearby half plot comes up later.

And we've introduced Starter Plots: a pair of raised beds each about 12' by 4'. The first three tenants are now ready to move onto 5 pole plots, so - as they clear their crops from the starter beds - I can put the next three onto those plots.

We've talked several times about a formal probationary period, but this informal method does seem to be working. And the fact that there is a waiting list - plus regular plot inspections - concentrates people's minds on clearing and maintaining their plots!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 16:40:34 »
They split a lot of our plots in half and people are still not getting over there to keep them up to standard, some have left and they have been re let. Sid next to me is giving his up and keeping his smaller one, lots have had non cultivation letters, there have been about 6 newcomers this year, time will tell to see who's still there next year, we did have somebody who after coming to the top of the list about this time a few years ago said that they only wanted a summer allotment  :( another said they don't remember putting their name down.         ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 17:48:46 »
We've had - and still have - quite a waiting list for plots but have had several plots given back to us over the past few months (including people who have only had their plots for a few months) and recently when we've contacted people on our waiting list, we've had several instances where we find they no longer want a plot.  For the past three plus years we've only offered five rod plots but anyone taking one on and successfully cultivating this can apply for another five rod plot
And Grawrc - we've also had someone who took on a plot but didn't do anything although they appeared several times to look at it - eventually they asked 'when will my plot be dug and ready for me to plant' - and when it was explained they had to dig it, we got a reply along the lines of 'well I'm renting this off the Council, surely they will dig it for me to start with, they can't expect me to dig all that' - and they didn't, they just left it, got an 'uncultivated plot' letter and then a termination letter!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 18:17:43 »
3 years does sound like a long time, my first plot had a waiting list of 10 years, but I got my plot after 3. The first people on the list may have changed their minds by the time they get to the top, or have got a plot somewhere else so the list might sort itself out quicker than you think. Fingers crossed for you!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal