Author Topic: dfs sofas  (Read 7472 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
dfs sofas
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:24:03 »
Seeing the ad at the top and looking for a sofa, has anyone an opinion on these?    They do have a good selection.   I am planning to have one in leather.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
Re: dfs sofas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:31:06 »
I would wait until they have a sale on - they don't have them very often ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 13:47:19 »
we got one just after christmas, it took a while to arrive as we had one made for us, very good after sales service  :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 16:59:20 »
Thanks for replies.   There is a sale on at the moment in Birmingham.
M/S which one did you have?  I am looking at the one named Marvin.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 18:16:37 »
My parents bought a leather DFS sofa eighteen months ago, within three months the leather had discoloured badly, they didn't find the company helpful at all - I'm not saying don't buy, but check the terms and conditions very very carefully. And if your store has a sale room out the back, check it out because you will see there how the materials wear on some of the returns......

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 19:51:27 »
I don't know what style/price range you have in mind Ada, but Google 'Lush,Bromsgrove' and have a look. As a company they are ACE -family firm, excellent after-sales service and all-round Gold Star company. Well worth a trip to them. Good luck!

Lishka

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 19:53:43 »
With sofas, chairs (etc) it is rather a matter of 'you get what you pay for'.

I do not know the area you live in, your personal finances, nor the sort or home nor family needs you have and I am not going to knock a company who advertises and spends a lot of money telling the world they are the cheapest, offering the best 'bargains'.

Personally I would prefer to pay for the same for a quality USED suite which was made to last a life time.

I would , if I was a property developer buy a DFS suite and sell it with the house I had just brought up to date as  brand new. Include it in the price of the house. To encourage a first time buyer. I would also buy the furniture if I was letting property to students and if I had a spare room I would use it there.

Frankly, I do not think that their sofas are a brilliant domestic quality which are durable. They are, in my mind fashion furniture and perfectly adequate for short time use.

Go to a shop where they sell top price suites and sit in them.  The suites will cost a lot more but the comfort is there. You choose

It is up to the buyer..............

Don't expect a Rolls Royce quality for the price of a Kia Picanto. Don't complain when your purchase does not match your family use.

DFS serve a market. IKEA do too. They are perfectly good companies offering budget quality items for the budget conscious

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 20:25:48 »
i bought my DFS 3 peice sofa 12 years ago i kept it for 8 and then gave it to my nan when i purchased  a leather one from harveys (steer well clear of those cowboys) my nan is still using the the suite to this day and its in perfect nick, after getting harveys to take their pile of shite back i went back to DFS and its still perfect after 18months use.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 18:25:50 »
Hi, Tomatoada, I can't remember the name of the one we got, just had a quick look and it's very similar to navona, we got a 3 seater and a 2 seater settee, no problems so far  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 01:16:05 »
Must admit, I find the tv ads for DFS a bit offputting, but apart from that don't think I'd advise anyone to buy a cheap new sofa. After years of messing about I bit the bullet and bought from Multiyork. After 10 years, the sofas are as good as ever, the covers come off for cleaning, it's a classic style, they supply you with the patterns to have new covers made if you want, and I expect them to last for another 10 years. I suppose that the thought process was, I'm going to spend as much time using these sofas as I do using a car. They didn't cost anything like the price of a new car, so I reckon they're a bargain. And if you google "second hand multiyork sofa" quite a few come up.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 09:21:31 »
We have a multi York and it is very comfy,the thing I am not pleased about is fading,I use a throw because of the dogs and the pattern has either faded or rubbed off,as we spent a lot of money on this we are not too happy.

About ten years ago I bought two settees from a small cheapie shop for £800 and they have been fantastic.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 19:01:12 »
Thanks for the replies.   I am studying them.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 15:50:42 »
You'd better be quick otherwise you will miss the sale  ;D

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 19:06:10 »
We bought our two leather sofas from DFS about 8 years ago they were probably the most expensive ones in the shop but were beautiful. The shop's service was great and the sofas 8 years on and 6 cats on are still looking pretty good with no wear on them exept the odd cat scratch (i do trim their claws every two weeks though).  I can thoughly recommend them and having leather in particular as if its looked after its pretty durable and easy to keep clean.  Good luck with your sofa hunting.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 22:27:05 »
We bought 2 leather reclining chairs from DFS about 3 years ago and I was most impressed with the Sales Men on each occasion.  He gave us all the information in a talk about how to keep our chairs and how to treat the leather.  I was most impressed.   So no complaints and they arrived 2 weeks before their due date.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 12:40:44 »
Leather can be cold to sit on in the winter and hot and sticky in the summer... think about it for a while.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 13:39:59 »
This thread is a few months old now & I think Tomatoada is fixed up.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 17:26:23 »
After going round all the places mentioned and some more, I found an ex-catalogue shop.  I bought a 3 piece suite with chairs which extend.  It is in black f/leather.  Cost £550.   It is  very comfortable but I am not sure black is me.  However visitors and friends like it.

My neighbour has bought one from M and S  which is lovely.   She ordered it on-line.  If I could have looked at it first I probably would have bought one.  It was more expensive of course.   I have a friend who is willing to buy my suite so I might change it.
I think I will stick to gardening not refurbishing.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:24 »
There is quite a lot of Marks and spencer furniture on E Bay.......you may find something.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:46:52 »
Leather can be cold to sit on in the winter and hot and sticky in the summer... think about it for a while.

The saddle on my harley is leather, I don't have those problems and I would sit on it for a lot longer than most do on a settee. I expect you are muddling it up with your old oilcloth settee that thinks it's leather. Does yours still have the utility mark? ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal