Author Topic: Deadly Nightshade  (Read 7771 times)

chippy queen

• Quarter Acre
Deadly Nightshade
« on: August 25, 2010, 16:04:27 »
I have deadly sprouting up all over the allotment.  I didnt have it last year and I am pulling it out as soon as I see it now.  Is this the right thing to do or how do I get rid of it.  How did it get there? Is it dangerous?  Any answers about it please

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Deadly Nightshade
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 16:17:17 »
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 19:35:14 »
It won't be dangerous as long as you don't eat it.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 19:57:44 »
found this

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/get-rid-nightshade.htm

The one with purple flowers is called Woody Nightshade; Deadly Nightshade has pale yellow pink almost white flowers.

We have it at our lottie; we just pull it out and compost it. Just don't lck your hands after you've done it.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 20:07:58 »
I'd be a bit surprised if it really was deadly nightshade.  I have black nightshade and it's a little troublesome because it roots really firmly, but it's not a particularl problem.  You see woody nightshade quite a bit too.  It's only deadly nightshade that's really nasty, and I think it's worth wearing gloves to remove that one.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 20:20:24 »
My understanding of deadly nightshade is ALL parts are poisen.  Berries: 3to 5 will kill a child and 7 to 9 for adults.  The berries are sweet tasting.  Make sure you wear gloves when dealing with this plant.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 20:37:44 »
I have been looking at piccies on the web and the flowers seem to me to be very similar.  Someone planted huckleberries on our site last year and they are popping up all over and are very similar as well to start with though the fruit is totally different.

I am still not sure I know how to tell the difference between deadly and woody nightshade.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 21:05:35 »
deadly nightshade is really rather rare,and very distinctive. What you probably have is black nighshade, which is really rather common. It comes up on our plot and looks like tiny rogue potatoes. Some parts of the world, people eat it.

chippy queen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 22:46:49 »
Thank you for all you replies, I think it might be the one that looks like rogue potatoes.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 18:40:04 »
I am still not sure I know how to tell the difference between deadly and woody nightshade.
Woody nightshade is quite common and essentially it's a climber or trailer.  It has long trailing woody stems with those purple flowers with the yellow anthers, and then bunches of red berries.

I've only come across deadly nightshade once and if you seee it with its shiny black marble-sized berries on you'll not easily mistake it for anything else.  It's flowers have an eerie beauty, like a small datura flower.  And if you google for images you'll see that most people mistake woody nightshade for deadly nightshade!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 19:01:05 »
I do not think I have ever seen deadly nightshade. 

chippy queen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 23:19:02 »
It definately does not have purple flowers.  It has black berries and white/yellow small flowers.  I have taken a couple of photos and will post them up tommorrow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal