Author Topic: Where do I start!!!  (Read 2954 times)

sara g

• Not So New ...
Where do I start!!!
« on: August 22, 2010, 21:07:59 »
Hi All
Complete newbie to all of this, so bear with me and sorry, just move this if its in the wrong place.
I am the new secretary of a very unkempt old fashioned site, and we are hoping to do some fund raising and grant applying in the not too distant future.  We are in desperate need of a new meeting hut, storage shed/shop and toilet, for the many families with young children that are now becoming allotmenteers.  I am all for moving things forward, and the rest of the committee is backing me all the way.  We have several ideas for fundraising for next year, but I am unsure as to whether we need permission etc to go ahead with them.  We are hoping to hold a small  fete/open day, with stalls selling cakes jams etc and surplus produce, tombolas and games for the kids.  Would I need to inform the council of our intentions? and Does anybody know the ruling/regs of selling cakes eggs etc to members of the public at a fundraiser?  I am certain that we are members of NSALG, so we should have insurance through them, but I dont know what it covers, does it cover fundraising events etc?

Sorry for being a pain, but Im hoping someone can help.   :-[ :-[

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Where do I start!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 21:22:48 »
Hello Sara & welcome to the site. Lots of help here for you I'm sure.
I think Squash might be the person for this one. Her site held a similar event very recently which was for a couple of charities. You'll also find recipes too to help you on your way.
Good luck.

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 21:29:58 »
Thanks grannyjanny, maybe there is light at the end of the very long tunnel!!!   ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 21:55:30 »
Try to make things fun. It's hard work having an allotment & ours was a mess. We made a rule that we had to leave before we got fed up. If you take that approach in other aspects it may not seem as daunting. ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 22:17:42 »
Hello Sara and welcome.

We have a Summer Fayre every year and they have been quite successful.  We do them for charity because we are lucky enough to already have all the facilities that you need.

We are a self-managed Council site.  We don't actually ask their permission to have the event, but we do let them know and they publicize it in their newsletter so I assume they are ok about it.
As for selling cakes etc., every similar event I've ever been to does it so I don't think there is a problem.  
Our insurance covers Public Liability.
I am definitely no expert when it comes to the legal side of things though - maybe Unwashed will see this and give his thoughts.

We start organising the SF in March each year and have about 4 meetings before the day (August)  We find that the most money is made on cakes (all donated) plants, fresh vegetables, bric-a-brac and refreshments.  
We have a few games, tombola and raffle.
Because we do it for charity, we also include a few charity stalls:- Swan Rescue, Cats Protection and Scouts.  

There are a few photos on our website www.growit.btck.co.uk

Good luck!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08:48 »
Hi Betty
Many thanks for your help. Ive had a look at your website of your allotments, it looks a fantastic place. You look to have a real community spirit going on, so many friendly faces.
My biggest challenge will be convincing a lot of the folk that have been there for years, that change is good and for the better of our community, a lot of them just see whats on their own plot and not the bigger picture around them (the rest of the site).  Our site needs a lot doing to it, we have several really overgrown plots, that need taking care of, the footpaths need re laying, our water system is always leaking through age, although ive just written to polypipe (which is local to us) for a donation of parts, so fingers crossed on that one.  The list is endless, but its got to be started somewhere.  Sometimes its the small things that make such a big difference.
Thanks again
Sara

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:38 »
Hi Sara,just remember to take your time,Rome wasnt built in a day etc etc.Did you find out if you are members of the NSALG? your treasurer should be able to tell you? if so find out if they have meetings in your area,as this is where you will meet other secs that can lend you support. ask away here,we are all happy to help! good luck R x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 17:05:40 »
You could also talk to the Allotment Regeneration Initiative
ari@farmgarden.org.uk
to see if they can help with other issues with your site...  :-\

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 15:11:06 »
It sounds like there's a lot to be done! I assume you're a Council site. Are you self-managed?

We're independent, but were in a very similar position to you a few years back. My advice. like elvis, is to take things slowly - at least at first. Prioritise and go for the important things first, especially those that will improve the site. We chose to concentrate on site security - our hedge was very tatty - and filling unused plots, then on improving the water supply.

If you can bring in new blood, not only will you have extra bodies for working parties, but they will work overgrown plots and the whole site will look better. Try to encourage a positive, friendly atmosphere. But, believe me, it takes a long time and a lot of hard work!

We've done a lot of work out & about in the community. We have two local Primary Schools: so far this year we've had two class visits from one of them; run a plant sale at the other's summer fair and invited their Gardening Club for a visit. We liaise with the Community Police and the local Councillors; I write regular articles for the Residents' Association newsletter; we've mounted an historical exhibition in the local library; we had a stall at the Fun Day organised by the local Chamber of Commerce.

And don't worry about grants for a bit. (Although I rather like the idea of your approaching local firms!) We've just received a Big Lottery Grant for a composting toilet. But they don't give out that sort of money just because they feel sorry for for plot-holders with weak bladders! The money goes to groups who have already proved that they are trying to improve people's lives in the local community. We got the grant because we were re-generating the site, attracting new groups of people onto the site and engaging in out-reach work within the larger community.

Have fun! But make sure that you take as many people as possible along with you. Some of the old guard will never come round, but most people - if they can see that things are improving - will be behind you.

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 17:16:02 »
Thanks for that Trevor, nice to know Im not alone.  We are a council site and are self managed as far as I am aware.
Spoke today with our local Community Organisation, very helpful indeed. We need a lot more in place before I even start looking at funding, as I thought but just didnt want to admit it to myself.
So big ask coming up......   Pleeeeeease
Does anyone have:
Health and Safety Policy
Equal Opportunities Policy
Child Protection Policy
and any other relevant policies we might need.  Was told they might be a useful start, but not entirely necessary, might as well do things right!!!!

I have just downloaded a Constitution from NSALG, so that it can be passed at our next AGM. Although I have been told that we have got one in place, but have never seen it.  ::)

Cheers all xx

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 18:09:51 »
hi again,i wouldnt worry about having all those policies,we havnt and ive been very successful with funding! surely equal ops is only relevant if you are employing people? and child protection only if you are left in charge of kids? you may choose to do a risk assessment re health and safety,but again,i have never done so.
the things (amongst others )that you DO need for funding,are a full committee,a constitution and bank account
hope this helps

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 19:11:18 »
Elvis got there first - but I totally agree. We haven't got any of those. (Although our Site Manager has done a Health & Safety run-down on the site.)

The bank account is essential. And the cheques must be signed by two non-related persons living at different addresses.

If you've already got a constitution, check that out first. It's illegal to simply impose a different one. (Well, anyone could do it whenever they fancied it, couldn't they?)

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 20:53:16 »
Thanks for that you two.
At least that saves me trying to find policies that actually relate to allotments, cos I bet there arent many.
Yes we have a committee, not without some pushing though. Our original committee comprised of a chairman and a bloke who did the secretaries job and treasurers job, he reluctantly gave up the secretaries job to me, only when I pointed out that if we didnt have a full working committee we couldnt get any form of grant. We now have a Chair and vice, a Secretary and vice and a treasurer.
I ll have to work on the bank account now, because there is only one signatory on that, and again I ve explained that there should be more than one, but was told that it was too much trouble to change it. We ll see!!!  I know the chairman will back me on that one.
Again I ll have to ask around about the constitution, as I really dont know if we have one.
If not is the one on NSALG acceptable and am I right in saying it will have to be passed at an AGM?
Sorry for all the questions.
Sara x

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 21:11:39 »
hi Sara,yep,any change in the constitution needs to be passed by everyone at your AGM,that said,its a big thing and i urge you to take your time with all this,as with all the brilliant things you are doing!I was in a similar position as yourself two and a half years ago and still have a lot to learn,but I have learnt to do it as and when I have the time,thereby not neglecting my own plot and life away from the allotment! keep up the good work and fire as many questions at us as you like
R x

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 21:58:24 »
Cheers for all your help, I know I have to tell myself to slow down sometimes.
Some retail therapy in order for tomorrow, me thinks  ;)

At least Ive got something to work on now.
Thanks all again
x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 18:38:40 »
Hiya, Sara,if it helps, we have had 5 grants, ranging from 500.00 to 6,000..we only have to have 1 person sign a cheque, even though there are 2 people who can and we don't have those policies,just fill in how we fulfill the criteria, e.g. equal opps etc  :)

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 19:03:47 »
Hi manicscousers
Thanks for your help. Am just realising that there is stacks of work to be done before we even think about applying for grants.
Our site needs a lot of minor improvements before we think on the bigger scale of things.  Site security is one issue, weve had a bloke collecting scrap (unauthorized) he had the cheek to come on, climb someones fence and remove some steel posts that had only 5 minutes before hand been dug into the ground. Needless to say he was given a polite gobful and told to leave.  So ive been busy putting posters up on the main gates threatening prosecution if anyone is caught removing scrap from our site, and believe it or not a couple of the plot holders have moaned because they think its aimed at them.  Cant win!!!  ??? ???  So had to reword and make it clear that plot holders can remove their own scrap.

To add to all that ive just recieved a letter from our Town Council regarding a rumour thats being circulated about us being given a sum of money from the council so we can remove the rubble from our site.  First ive heard of it. Some people just arent happy unless theyre stirring it up!!! 

C**p weekend really.
Sorry for the moan.
Am really grateful for all your support, and advice. Keep it coming.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 19:16:02 »
our small grant came from a 'brighter borough' fund, our councillors have small amounts they can grant to the community,that's a dead easy one to get, no forms to fill in, just a word to the councillor, might help in some of your small jobs ?

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 20:48:35 »
Thanks I will have to have a look at the 'brighter borough fund' as for the council, they inspected our site a few months back as an annual inspection, but it didnt go to well.  We didnt get much positive feedback from them.  I will have to try and download some pictures of our site, there is hell of a lot of rubble that has accumilated over the years.  Our site has been running for over 50 years and is one of 5 sites in our village, and in saying that probably the worst!  It was used originally by pig farmers who were allowed to build brick buildings for their livestock.  However the pig men were told they could no longer keep pigs, and most of them took their livestock and left. The only livestock now permitted on site is poultry. Consequently we have been left with a lot of part demolished brick buildings.  Some of the plot holders have put the bricks to good use and used them to make footpaths on their plots etc. However, we are now left with rubble and peoples rubbish that has been dumped on site over the years.
The good news is that the Council have now agreed to remove the brick/concrete rubble that has accumilated.  So I suppose thats a step in the right direction.
It will be a great help because it will enable us to clear some of the unused plots for new tenants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal