Author Topic: overwintering tomatoes in the ground to prove a point.  (Read 11125 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: overwintering tomatoes in the ground to prove a point.
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 12:54:18 »
Many thanks both for the contact details.  There is also one called Kasy Coats have you eny experience of that.

I feel a business coming on.

I have also had a eureka moment and managed to create system of plastic bottles so far two high but may get taller. 

Very interested in your three high waterowater contraption.  Looking forward to the piccies.  I am hoping to give a mid march or early april planting date a go but will pass on the total winter situation.  There is no particular point I have a centrally heated, double glazed house.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 14:12:30 »
I've used three wall o waters since 2008.  In 2008 my notes say the night temps were in the 40 F range. I planted outside a sickly looking Purple Pruden tom on 4-12-08 and put a red wall o water around it but by 4-18 it was taller and bushier than the other Purple Priudens. This is hardly a scientific study though.  I still only own three wall o waters and won't spend the money for more.
On super cold nights I'd cover them with plastic or fleece.

What the university study on red plastic showed was the red light waves boost a plant hormone.  I've used red plastic mulch under most of the tom plant beds and do seem to get a good harvest though haven't kept good enough measurements to prove that.

Some problems in making a scientific study are: I plant many different varieties, germinating them on different schedules, transplanting out on different days, planting them in different light and moisture situations, feeding them different days and not weighing all the produce, and some get attacked by tomato horn worms and blight.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2010, 19:59:32 »
I have had an e mail from the manufacturers this morning, they are happy to send me a case wholesale and as I asked if there was anyone in the UK selling them and they said no, they offered me the opportunity of doing it from here or would like to hear from someone over there who will do it..so someone go for it..sell them on UK e bay.

If anyone is seriously interested I can give you the contact name at the company.

I am going to buy a case anyway I think as I could use many more than I have and don't mind posting a few out unofficially.  I will work out a price,meantime check Veseys who have the connection in Eastern Canada, there is no-one in the west.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 15:14:16 »
I am fascinated with the wall o water idea, especially as we have our frosts as late as the end of May (Lost quite a bit to that last deep frost we had at the end of May this year) it seems quite an interesting idea.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2010, 20:11:41 »
So plainleaf you have got us interested in your walls of water.  How are the pictures coming along.   

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 21:03:40 »
the picture are coming a long
 fine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal