Author Topic: overwintering tomatoes in the ground to prove a point.  (Read 11140 times)

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: overwintering tomatoes in the ground to prove a point.
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:39 »
Digeroo that year i put tomato plants in on feb 16.
i was testing to see if the graham method worked.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:46:33 by plainleaf »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 13:34:24 »
I personally will still be hibernating in the middle of February. 

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 15:46:42 »
I've discovered a healthy little tomato plant growing in my strawberry bed. If I surrounded it with the bottles full of water do you think I might have any success?  Or should I dig it up, pot it and try to grow indoors?

Sinbad

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 16:30:42 »
I've discovered a healthy little tomato plant growing in my strawberry bed.

I'd be inclined to leave it where it is for the time being, unless space or whatever makes that impractical, it'll develop better if left undisturbed. Lift it in the late autumn when it's unlikely to want to grow any more. You'll also have a better idea of how big a pot you'll want for it. Tomato plants can be reasonably hardy ... they'll keep their foliage through the winter if they don't die, so keep it in a well lit, if not necessarily heated place over winter (don't let it freeze though) and you'll have a head start in the spring  ;D

If we get a long autumn, you may even get a small bonus crop of (probably green) tomatoes this year, depending on variety. I "found" some self-sown tomatoes in July last year and popped them into a small patch of unused ground, just to see if they'd go, and a made a good batch of green tomato chutney in November. I didn't try to overwinter the plants, they were starting to show signs of blight.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 18:14:25 »
Plainleaf, you have started a good discussion here, well done,it does seem funny to hear our UK family discussing this is, but it isa good funny  as I am sure you will agree.
 It is a new concept in the UK,as you can see they are not even available there, so it does take a bit of believing.  I have used them in Canada but not in the UK.It is not just the cool temp in the UK so early in the year it is other facters that you don[t have in your area,a totally different climate and I think it's super that your idea has prompted so much interest.  Please  will you post your  pictures. I would personally like to know which tomatoes you start with this early. Another question, have you ever thought to actually measure the temperature inside the where the plant is to compare to outside.

Just to toss in another idea, I once had them in situ when it was raining very hard for a long time and I found the water collected inside the cloche, calling it a cloche so you don't think I mean in the water tube. The water that fell outside darined away OK but indide it stood and I was nervous that the palnt drowned as the water level got higher.I tilted the cloch so the water ran out and then popped brollies over them,it worked a treat. It was only for a few days.

Do I take It from all your discussions that some of you are going to try this..that would be great,,is there an idea in mind as to what time

Plainleaf, when in Februatry do you do it   I will try to join you, but suspect that the UK folk may have to wait a while.  I will do another one when they start.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 22:00:56 »
jeannie i was laughing not at use of wall o waters I was laughing at confusion about physics of how they work.
Jeannie if they wish to try walls o water i suggest you or I buy them in bulk order send them to the uk an have someone  distribute them  there thus saving on postage.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 22:19:34 »
Jeannie if they wish to try walls o water i suggest you or I buy them in bulk order send them to the uk an have someone  distribute them  there thus saving on postage.
VAT, or more precisly the admin charge for the VAT will cause problems with that.
Unless you are import loads, then keep the value of each package below £18, then VAT is not a problem, that is unless they have scraped this allowance, they were thinking of doing that.

OK, just looked up the details, if you send an item valued over £18 the receiver will have to pay VAT @ 17.5% + £8 admin fee (if is sent via normal post).
VAT goes up to 20% in Jan.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 22:33:29 by Chrispy »
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2010, 22:40:47 »
well the arrangement could be sent under the gift exclusion.

but if someone  really wanted to and had time and plastic sealer they could make there own wall o waters.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 22:44:26 by plainleaf »

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2010, 23:00:38 »
well the arrangement could be sent under the gift exclusion.
You are going to send some as gifts.... That's very generous of you.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 00:33:45 »
more like trading gifts

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 01:53:59 »
I know what you mean PL. I send stuff all the time to the UK marking them as gifts, customs leave them alone then.

Chrispy I only once paid any duty form a parcel coming from the US and the value was $800 so I expected it, but have many times had them with a value of $100 and more  with no problems. I know that they have the right to add it on  but it never happened to me. I bought a canner with extras that came to $210 and I paid no duty. It canot be relied on but no-one I know really worries about it. I have sent about 20 25 parcels over to the UK in the last 16 months and no ne has paid any duty yet. I wouldn't worry about it frankly.

I think I bought 6 packs of 3 when I got my new ones a few weeks ago, I blew it because I found out later I could have bought them in bulk but the postage  for a case  may be too high to then send on again. in smaller amounts, and I don't want to go into the WallO Water business for sure. I can only get small packets locally. I just found out.

I will work out for you all what it costs weight and postage wise to send a pack of three if anyone wants them, I feel sure it would be cheaper than e bay as I don't need a penny more than my cost. I will let you know when I work it out.

Let me know if anyone wants a pack.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 06:38:37 »
I don't want to go into the WallO Water business for sure

Now there is a thought.  I cannot find who actually manufactures this product.  Do you have any idea plaintleaf.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 18:30:34 »
mount cordahl produce company make it.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 19:43:58 »
there was British patent  on similar water filled device but i can seem to find it online. the patent not the device.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 20:02:04 by plainleaf »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 21:24:41 »
I have been in touch with the maunufactueres of WOW and am awaiting their final reply re shipping to the  Uk etc,and John is going to the PO tomorrow with a 3 pack to get a postal quote , a pack of three is not heavy and folds over to fit a bubble envelope, or shapes  into a poster roll.Iwill do my best.

XX Jeannine

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 02:50:44 »
now back to the experiment
the set up which i will post picture of at later time will consist of:
It will have  ooze watering hose .
2 5ft 1in dia. PVC posts per plant
12 in diameter coated metal fence ring 4 ft high per plant
3 walls o water stacked per plant (special technique) that has to be seen in pictures.
10 10 ft 1/2in dia.  PVC pipe hoops
10ft x10ft x3mil clear plastic drop cloth.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 05:12:19 »
Wow, is all that for 1 plant.

Still haven't got any info from the company yet but here are the details if anyone wants to contact them direct.

Wall O'Water Inc,
520,North Mantana,
Dillon,
Montana
Tel. (866)643-5036
Fax.(866)804-7298
e mail.  info@wall-o-water.com
website..http://www.wall-o-water.com

I will let you all knw if and when I get any info.

Sorry John I did not make it to the PO today.

XX Jeannine

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:12 »
Jeannine three plants will housed in this setup.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:37 »
Ok,3 plants.

I see you are up and not asleep like all of the UK,I think you are about 4 hors different from me to the UK.

Are you putting the pictures on now..I will keep checking back.
XX Jeannine

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:21 »
the picture will be up in due time.
also you have seen what looks like partly already Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal