Author Topic: Best Allotment Shed???? Just for tools no plants  (Read 1869 times)

AceOfSpades

• Not So New ...
Best Allotment Shed???? Just for tools no plants
« on: August 10, 2010, 13:39:54 »
HI all

As a new allotment owner (couple of years – which I see as new compared to my fellow plot holders!)  I am paranoid about tool theft.  A few guys have had the odd item vanish over night.  I would ideally like to keep ALL my tools there all the time.
After looking at the usual Argos and B and Q their products are rubbish.  I could breakinto them with a lollipop stick.  Any of you chaps out there know of anything I could rely on??

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Best Allotment Shed???? Just for tools no plants
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 14:49:12 »
If they want to break in then they will, there's not been a shed invented yet thats break in proof, but what about a false floor, :-\ there was a good posting about this subject a few years ago I wonder if somebody can reserect it.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 14:51:35 »
i have a  standard 6x8 shed, beefed up
1. door frame replaced with standard 5"x2" door frame, coach screwed to another frame of 3"x2" on the other side. Normal heavy paneled door with very large padlock and staple, and four hinges with all screws hidden. Chainsaw woudl be the only way through.
2. Window covered in 1/2" wire mesh inside plus fold down shutter, locked in place .
4. all panels, including roof coach screwed together internally, and entire thing coach screwed to floor.
5. floor built of raft of pallets with two layeres of strip panelling at right angles to each other.
6. All steal able items inside loosed chained together with havy chain and large padlock.
7. Both padlocks are anti-pick and cant be forced open.

You will need a petrol chainsaw and 48" bolt cutters and a truck to steal my stuff. Anyone with any sense will give up and hit another shed .
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 20:01:24 »
Make yourself a 2" x "2 shed frame, just sections to nail or bolt together and a one way angled roof, then put this together on your plot, then nail on corrugated galvanised steel roof sheets, they will be a bit harder to get through than wood.
You might want to make the shed a size to fit what roof sheets you can get to save cutting.
I guess you may get a bit of condensation drips from the roof but you could line it.

The other idea I am toying with which should be a cheaper option, is to do something similar with old pallets. Have the door made of steel roof sheets or similar with good secure hinges and bolted on staple hasp. You could line the inside of the pallets with whatever you can get to make access more difficult. I kind of like the idea of recycling stuff and might try this for the fun of it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 18:11:20 »
I find a thick hawthorn hedge and a stout gate is as good as anything.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal