Author Topic: Shredded paper  (Read 1260 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Shredded paper
« on: August 11, 2010, 16:50:34 »
Should you always wet shredded paper when adding it to a trench before planting? As I dug up my pathetic potato crop today I found some dry and completely unrotted paper on my fork. I know it's been a dry year but wonder if I made it worse by not soaking the paper at planting time?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Shredded paper
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 18:30:19 »
I may be out of step here but i would put the paper in dry and then soak it.

When filling back the trench i would put a drain pipe(any size will do) in vertically.  Then when dry you can spray the water into the area under the potatoes via the pipe.  Watch you don't over water though.

My potatoes were also rubbish this year and i tried several ways at planting time none really worked for me.  So back to trying again next year.  Good luck to you as well.

Bill

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 19:24:01 »
i put 160 seed tates in, they didnt stand a chance. The last frost in may got the first lot of top growth, then just as they were coming back, Early Leaf Blight wiped out any that dared survive.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 22:02:22 »
Put the paper in first, then soak it before you backfill, otherwise it will draw the moisture out of the soil.  Personall I would prefer to add the shreddedpaper to either the compost heap or (better) the leaf pile, and use the composted material for planting the potatoes.  Incidentally, I have always believed that there is little point in placing compost etc under the seed tubers.  The roots grow from the collarettes around the base of the new shoots and mainly fan outwards, so I always place my compost or leaf mould around, and even over, the seed tubers.  This has the added advantage that when I dig the potatoes they come up much cleaner.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:17 »
Thanks. Luckily I only planted two rows of spuds this year so not a huge loss but still frustrating.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:01:26 »
I mix my shredded paper with kitchen vegetable waste (which is usually wet) and then put it in the compost bin - breaks down quickly with the help of the red brandling worms
My potato crop is also terrible this year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal